Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

Poll: IPad or Android

Buy the IPad version 124 67.4%
Buy the Android version 60 32.6%
Total number of voters: 184 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Let's say there would also be an IPad version.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27047

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
dkazaz wrote:
But right now the screen is no longer the reason to go iPad!
I have to 100% agree with dkazaz. We now have a serious full high definition resolution screen contender to the iPad with the Samsung/Google Nexus 10. The great thing about the next year or two is that with the release of Windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids you'll even have the ability to view ComicRack for Windows on a large full high definition resolution screen mobile device. More options are always better for us, the consumers. So, just remember, if you really want an iPad, don't bother waiting for ComicRack for iOS. Just go out and get the darn thing and enjoy it for all of the other great apps and features that have been created for it. The iOS version will get here eventually, but just don't hold your breath for anything real soon...I'm thinking maybe by late spring or summer of next year at best if you're lucky. However, if you really want to be apart of the ComicRack ecosystem sooner than later, then both Google and Microsoft have released (or will be soon releasing) mobile devices that are more than capable of satisfying your ComicRack needs...the future is very bright!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by oraclexview.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27051

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
oraclexview wrote:
dkazaz wrote:
But right now the screen is no longer the reason to go iPad!
I have to 100% agree with dkazaz. We now have a serious full high definition resolution screen contender to the iPad with the Samsung/Google Nexus 10. The great thing about the next year or two is that with the release of Windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids you'll even have the ability to view ComicRack for Windows on a large full high definition resolution screen mobile device. More options are always better for us, the consumers. So, just remember, if you really want an iPad, don't bother waiting for ComicRack for iOS. Just go out and get the darn thing and enjoy it for all of the other great apps and features that have been created for it. The iOS version will get here eventually, but just don't hold your breath for anything real soon...I'm thinking maybe by late spring or summer of next year at best if you're lucky. However, if you really want to be apart of the ComicRack ecosystem sooner than later, then both Google and Microsoft have released (or will be soon releasing) mobile devices that are more than capable of satisfying your ComicRack needs...the future is very bright!

What aspect ratio is best for reading comics?

16:9 or 16:10 which is basically everything but the Ipad

or

4:3 like the ipad

I tend to think the 4:3 ratio is closer to actual comic book page dimensions but maybe I am wrong.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27053

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
riddlemethis wrote:
What aspect ratio is best for reading comics?

16:9 or 16:10 which is basically everything but the Ipad

or

4:3 like the ipad

I tend to think the 4:3 ratio is closer to actual comic book page dimensions but maybe I am wrong.
Based on what I've read, the aspect ratio of a standard modern US comic is 1.53, thus making a device with an aspect ratio of 16:10 (1.6) the best match since 4:3 is 1.33. On an additional note, a 16:10 ratio is best for a single page spread, whereas a double-page spread (with a aspect ratio of 1.31) would be best viewed with a 4:3 ratio. Also, many feel that a double-page spread is only really readable (without zooming in I'm assuming) on a high resolution screen such as the newer devices like the 3rd gen iPad and the Nexus 10.

I'm sure many here with either aspect ratio would be more than happy to chime in and give you their take on what they prefer. Another thing to note is that no matter which device and aspect ratio you go with, you're going to have some extra unused space while viewing in portrait or landscape mode, so the best thing to do would be to test viewing comics on as many devices as you can get your hands on and see for yourself.

Personally, as much as I love these tablets, I'm perfectly good with viewing my books on my 4.5 inch smartphone until the tablet market matures and the average price reduces another couple hundred bucks or a viable high performance, low battery usage tablet/laptop hybrid is released. :)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27055

• Juan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
From what I've noticed on my 4:3 tablet, if I set the view to "fill width" on portrait, there's a lot of the page cut off at the top and bottom. If I set it to "fill height", there's a lot of blank space on the sides.

I've heard that 16:10 is basically the ideal ratio for most screens, but most devices avoid it for whatever reason (less marketable?)

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27056

• bakker_be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Juan wrote:
I've heard that 16:10 is basically the ideal ratio for most screens, but most devices avoid it for whatever reason (less marketable?)
I think the reason is simply economics. Before HDTV all widescreen laptops were 16:10, but as demand for 16:9 grew, it became cheaper to just put that kind of panels into laptops too, and this trend was carried over to the tablet world ...
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Seuss

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27057

• Karvajalka
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
oraclexview wrote:
I'm sure many here with either aspect ratio would be more than happy to chime in and give you their take on what they prefer. Another thing to note is that no matter which device and aspect ratio you go with, you're going to have some extra unused space while viewing in portrait or landscape mode, so the best thing to do would be to test viewing comics on as many devices as you can get your hands on and see for yourself.

Personally, as much as I love these tablets, I'm perfectly good with viewing my books on my 4.5 inch smartphone until the tablet market matures and the average price reduces another couple hundred bucks or a viable high performance, low battery usage tablet/laptop hybrid is released. :)

Here are some of my experiences with ComicRack and different devices:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 720 x 1280 4.65"
Keep the phone horizontal and "fit width". This usually gives you one row of panes pretty comfortably. Turn the phone vertical to see full single page spreads. Zoom when necessary to read all the text. There is no good way to see double-page spreads. Screen is just bit too small at least for my eyes, but was happy to use it long time before getting tab.

Asus Nexus 7 1280x800 7"
Keep the tab horizontal and "fit width". This gives you one row of panes to read very comfortably. Turn the tab vertical to see full single page spreads. Zooming is hardly necessary to read all the text even in vertically. Double-page spreads need panning and zooming, but larger screen helps a lot even if resolution is basically the same. Tab is very good for "on the road" reading.

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 1920x1200 10.1"
Keep the tab vertical and "fit all". This gives you full page to read comfortably, hardly any screen space vasted. Turn the tab horizontal to see double-page spreads. Bit of panning and zooming might be necessary. Too big to read in train or buss, but great at home.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 11 months ago #27091

I had to vote for the iPad since my silly mother got it in her head to buy one only for me to steal it most of the time :) I'd love to have comicrack on it.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 10 months ago #27119

• Klyph
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a Nexus 7, and comicrack is by far the best comic reader available . I just got an iPad mini and none of the readers I've bought (around 5) can easily do what I need: import folders of comics that are arranged in chronological order by storyline. Not to mention the metadata functions (and scraping) that Comicrack provides. Although I still enjoy reading on my mini, I've been spoiled by Comicrack and would LOVE if it were available on IOS.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 10 months ago #27328

• yegods
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would REALLY like an iPad version. I've already bought and loved the Android version. I have both devices. What's wrong with having both??

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 4 years 10 months ago #27386

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
yegods wrote:
I would REALLY like an iPad version. I've already bought and loved the Android version. I have both devices. What's wrong with having both??

Nothing. I have a personal iPhone 5 and a work Samsung Galaxy S3. I like both for different reasons.

My tablet is an iPad and would love to see Comicrack on it. One of the things I like the most about the iPhone is on the music and audiobook side, the ability to create smart playlists and have data like playcount, ratings, etc. sync back. So the thought of having a comic reader where I can do something similar in syncing smart lists and having read count, ratings, etc. sync back is very very appealing. I currently use ComicZeal and it works, but you have to tweak things to get comics into folders correctly and if I want a list of a crossover story like AvX, it is a bit of a pain to set it up. Would love to organize it on my PC and then sync it over.

I like my iPad and haven't yet found an android device that does what I am looking for and would love to get comicrack for IOS. That would be an easy purchase on day 1.
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds

Who's Online

We have 241 guests and 5 members online