Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

Poll: IPad or Android

Buy the IPad version 124 67.4%
Buy the Android version 60 32.6%
Total number of voters: 184 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Let's say there would also be an IPad version.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21665

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
dkruler wrote:
cYo do you have enough feedback to make your decision. If you are not going to develope an iPad version just say so, otherwise you are giving people a false hope.
I would like to give you a +1 karma for this 'daredevil' post! :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21929

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
tcm1998 wrote:
I'm using ComicGlass at the moment, but it's a bit of a hassle getting comics from my pc to the ipad, so I only do that on rare occasions (about 100 comics each time).

I use ComicGlass too. The thing I like about it is how I can browse my collection on my PC from my iPad. Just install the Comic Glass webserver on your PC, or even better, download and install Apache webserver, which will run on any type of computer (win, mac, linux).
Configuring it will take 30 minutes and after that you will enjoy online collection bliss.

Browse, download (multiple files too) and read. Only ComicRack for iOS would be better.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21930

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
By the way, iPad is now beating Android in the polls by almost 2 to 1. Considering there's an Android app out there that many forum members already have while iPad users are less likely to visit here, that's pretty powerful.

From a business perspective, having access to both markets makes a lot of sense, especially since apple will be dominant in tablets for a while longer and will likely always have a strong market share.

I also think it will drive new iPad users to the windows/mac version.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21931

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
dkazaz wrote:
Browse, download (multiple files too) and read. Only ComicRack for iOS would be better.

Or you can take a look at this thread where Neep is developing a web server plugin for CR:

Comicrack web viewer

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21937

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
perezmu wrote:
dkazaz wrote:

Or you can take a look at this thread where Neep is developing a web server plugin for CR:

Comicrack web viewer

I'll give it a try but I'm not sure that will work - I think ComicGlass works with simple autoindexed lists, but I could be wrong as its had many updates in the last few months.

A ComicRack client for iPad would make more of a difference for me....

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21938

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
dkazaz wrote:
A ComicRack client for iPad would make more of a difference for me....

I agree!

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #21979

• Soluzar
  • Junior Boarder
I'd buy it. I use a couple of different comic reader apps for iPad already, but it isn't as easy to transfer comics as I'd like. I want to maintain the reading list order I've set up in ComicRack - can't see any easy way to do that.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22014

• marceloid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
A question from someone that never used an iPad. Is The format factor of the iPad (4:3) better to read comics than the Android FF (16:9). I have a SGT 10.1'' and the pages of most of the comics fill the entire screen area. I saw some videos of Comixology on the iPad and it seemed that it had a gap between the screen edges and the end of the comic's page. I already find the size of the 10.1'' screen make the letters so damn small that sometimes I have to read on landscape mode. For me, this is the main reason to choose between iPad or Android when reading a comic book. Reading in portrair with a full-page view is far better than in landscape mode.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22022

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
dkruler wrote:
cYo do you have enough feedback to make your decision. If you are not going to develope an iPad version just say so, otherwise you are giving people a false hope.
I would like to give you a +1 karma for this 'daredevil' post! :)
Honestly, I wouldn't expect any official comments from cYo stating that a iOS version is in development...at least not until a beta version just automatically pops up in the ComicRack news section one day. CYo's plate is already quite filled with maintaining two well put together platforms so if time is available to develop a third, I'm sure it's only minuscule amounts here and there. Just be happy for the fact that this thread was even created by cYo in the first place, and the fact that cYo actually went a bought an iPad. That's enough facts for me to just sit and be patient... because if a ComicRack iOS version does show up someday, it's gonna automatically be the best eComic app out there for the iOS. That's my Nostradamus prediction of the decade. Cheers! :woohoo:

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22043

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
marceloid wrote:
A question from someone that never used an iPad. Is The format factor of the iPad (4:3) better to read comics than the Android FF (16:9). I have a SGT 10.1'' and the pages of most of the comics fill the entire screen area. I saw some videos of Comixology on the iPad and it seemed that it had a gap between the screen edges and the end of the comic's page. I already find the size of the 10.1'' screen make the letters so damn small that sometimes I have to read on landscape mode. For me, this is the main reason to choose between iPad or Android when reading a comic book. Reading in portrair with a full-page view is far better than in landscape mode.

I use an iPad 2 - I mostly read in Portrait mode and find it reasonably comfortable though not as much as paper of course. On the iPad, the form factor does sometime hide the top or bottom margin, so I have to slide the page up or down. This is only on comics that use "Artwork bleed" i.e. that fill the entire page without margins. This is usual with modern comics but it doesn't bother me. Swiping my finger up/down becomes a habit like turning a page. For older comics that kept to the margins, its not an issue at all as you can see the entire art in portrait.

I have to say though, that I'm not sure this is your problem. The difference in size of the 9.7" iPad screen and the Galaxy 10.1 is insignificant (less than 1cm width), so it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
I did find the Galaxy's screen very slightly less sharp and bright than the iPad's but still, I doubt it accounts for your difficulty.

My guess is that you find the overall size, possibly combined with the quality of the graphics/scans too low for your eyesight. My girlfriend can't read without her glasses, could it be that you have a similar problem?

Personally I would pay almost any price for a 12" tablet (assuming it can be light enough to hold) because I think that would be the ideal size for comics!

For now, I'm getting an iPad 3 this weekend and I will test it extensively with my collection, so I'll report back on if it makes a difference in comfort for reading comics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, marceloid
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

Who's Online

We have 242 guests and one member online