Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

Poll: IPad or Android

Buy the IPad version 124 67.4%
Buy the Android version 60 32.6%
Total number of voters: 184 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Let's say there would also be an IPad version.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22059

• marceloid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
dkazaz wrote:
I use an iPad 2 - I mostly read in Portrait mode and find it reasonably comfortable though not as much as paper of course. On the iPad, the form factor does sometime hide the top or bottom margin, so I have to slide the page up or down. This is only on comics that use "Artwork bleed" i.e. that fill the entire page without margins. This is usual with modern comics but it doesn't bother me. Swiping my finger up/down becomes a habit like turning a page. For older comics that kept to the margins, its not an issue at all as you can see the entire art in portrait.

I have to say though, that I'm not sure this is your problem. The difference in size of the 9.7" iPad screen and the Galaxy 10.1 is insignificant (less than 1cm width), so it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
I did find the Galaxy's screen very slightly less sharp and bright than the iPad's but still, I doubt it accounts for your difficulty.

My guess is that you find the overall size, possibly combined with the quality of the graphics/scans too low for your eyesight. My girlfriend can't read without her glasses, could it be that you have a similar problem?

The comics that I read the most are The Walking Dead and Wasteland. On my SGT, the page fills up the entire screen without needing to scroll the page. But it makes the page a little too small to read sometimes.

The scans makes the reading a bit more difficult, but the problem is the size of the letters on the comic. Despite the fact I don't need to wear glasses, my sight is not a perfect one, so when I read the comic in the portrait mode, I have to force my eyes a little to read.

Like you said, when you use the iPad on portrait mode, you have to scroll the page a little to read, so I'm guessing that when you zoom out to fit vertically the page on the screen, it'll leave some blank spaces between the side of the comic page and the end of the iPad screen.

I know it is a very minor thing, but I like to read my comics in portrait mode viewing the full page because it makes the reading experience more real-paper-comic-ish.

I got a TPB The Walking Dead comic book and the size and form factor of it is exactly the same as the SGT 10.1, except that the tablet has this borders to hold on without making a touch input on the screen that makes the pages smaller than the real book. I'll take a picture to show what I mean and post it later when I get home.

Sorry for the long off-topic post, but I think that to some people, this difference between the tablets is a fact to consider when buying a tablet. At least, for me it is. :)

Personally I would pay almost any price for a 12" tablet (assuming it can be light enough to hold) because I think that would be the ideal size for comics!
Agreed!
For now, I'm getting an iPad 3 this weekend and I will test it extensively with my collection, so I'll report back on if it makes a difference in comfort for reading comics.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by marceloid.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22084

• marceloid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I searched for videos of people reading comic books on the iPad and my earlier question was answered. The iPad form factor differs from the comic books FF, so the comic book displayed on Apple's tablet has a gap between the right and left side of the page and the edge of the screen. I took a snapshot of the video to show what I mean.

To me, this is a major aspect to consider because I'm gonna have to always zoom the page to read the text. On my SGT 10.1, in a few good scans, the reading experience gets pretty close to the real-comic-book one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22086

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
@Marceloid

You should consider that the widescreen form factor of the Galaxy means that the width is a bit smaller than the iPad.
So when you " shrink to fit" on the iPad, it will look about the same as on the GTB.

I zoom my comics to "fit width" so I sometimes scroll up or down by a tiny amount ( about 2 cm). It really is not a problem, you don't notice it after a while.

Incidentally Im writing this on my new iPad 3 and the screen has to be seen to be believed. I just read some high quality scans and they looked beautiful. I will do a side by side comparison with the iPad 2 tomorrow nd report back.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22092

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
+1 karma to marceloid for the great analysis! :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22096

• DrWorm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Okay did some calculations and saw that the SGT is about .8 inches taller than the ipad. That asks the question: what makes it easier to read the extra .8 or the ipad's better resolution?

Of course this really ends up being a matter of taste. Having read a bunch of manga over the years, I'm used to a smaller page size.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22105

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
Now that I've tested the iPad 3 thoroughly I can confirm that at least for higher quality scans, the difference is between significant to huge, especially for the text i.e. word balloons, which IMO make all the difference in reading and tiring your eyes out. The difference in artwork is somewhat less important in my view because your eyes don't focus so hard on every individual line as with text.

I tested 4 kinds of scans, which I consider to be in line with what's available out there: low quality scans of 70's comics (5-7 MB), average quality scans of 90s comics (10-12 MB), high quality scans of very recent comics (25MB) and a "super HD" scan (65 MB). I expect we'll have more of the last in the future as technology moves ahead.

In ALL categories but the first one, the iPad 3 beat the iPad 2 hands down. I am talking about (a) clarity of word balloons where the difference is consistently huge, with the new iPad being much cleares/easier on the eyes, and (b) clarity of line work, shading and color in the artwork, where the difference was always noticeable but scaled up in line with the scan's resolution, i.e. the higher the res, the bigger the difference.

In the first category of low res scans from old 4-color comics, the difference was tiny, practically unnoticeable. Essentially the scan's resolution is far lower than both screen types so you get maximum clarity even on the iPad 2.

For anyone reading modern i.e. post 1990 comics scanned to a decent resolution, I thoroughly recommend the new hi res iPad, especially if your eyes get tired of reading semi blurry text.

If you're an iPad fan thinking of upgrading, it's definitely worth it. If you're an android fan, thinking of buying a tablet, wait until they release this type of display, you won't regret it!

I hope this helps you guys out.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22129

• webtrotter
  • Fresh Boarder
I voted for IPad. Would love to buy CR for IPad the moment it is there.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22131

• 600WPMPO
dkazaz wrote:
For anyone reading modern i.e. post 1990 comics scanned to a decent resolution, I thoroughly recommend the new hi res iPad, especially if your eyes get tired of reading semi blurry text.

If you're an iPad fan thinking of upgrading, it's definitely worth it. If you're an android fan, thinking of buying a tablet, wait until they release this type of display, you won't regret it!
That just reiterates my vow to get the new iPad the moment it gets available in my region! :)

+1 karma to dkazaz for the excellent analysis!

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22151

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
I just came across this article talking about comics on the iPad.

It mainly focuses on the Comixology app, which I Personally don't like and don't use, but it has some good comparison screenshots which were pretty much in line with my experience.
Incidentally, I used ComicGlass for my testing.

Interestingly the article downplays the impact of tablets on Comics but I believe that in fact it will grow very significant in time.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by dkazaz.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 5 years 8 months ago #22158

• 600WPMPO
:laugh: :laugh: Good news for people who didn't vote for the iPad version:

Does using the iPad cause hemorrhoids?

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Who's Online

We have 244 guests and no members online