Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

Poll: IPad or Android

Buy the IPad version 124 67.4%
Buy the Android version 60 32.6%
Total number of voters: 184 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Let's say there would also be an IPad version.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 1 month ago #23436

• spinekill
  • Fresh Boarder
is it really going to happen soon?? It is too good to be true. I can't wait!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 1 month ago #23439

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Wired wrote:
That mod requires your computer to be on with CR running. I have a NAS and can stream most media through XBMC. Having it where you could open files directly on the fly (e.g. opening a file on the network instead of downloading it, and then opening it) would be ideal.

Now on the other hand if there was a web based version of CR that you could load on *nix (or even command line)... that'd probably be overkill with almost no market base lol.

Get an app called cifsmanager from the android store and mount the nas share on your droid. Then add the mount point as the 2nd comic location on cra, and you're streaming.

Working fine here, tho i don't share my whole library, as the scan can be lenghty.

fK

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 1 month ago #23440

• Wired
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
forkicks wrote:
Wired wrote:
That mod requires your computer to be on with CR running. I have a NAS and can stream most media through XBMC. Having it where you could open files directly on the fly (e.g. opening a file on the network instead of downloading it, and then opening it) would be ideal.

Now on the other hand if there was a web based version of CR that you could load on *nix (or even command line)... that'd probably be overkill with almost no market base lol.

Get an app called cifsmanager from the android store and mount the nas share on your droid. Then add the mount point as the 2nd comic location on cra, and you're streaming.

Working fine here, tho i don't share my whole library, as the scan can be lenghty.
Good to know if I ever purchase an Android tablet (I'm damn tempted), but I have an iPad, and we're in an iPad thread, so... :)

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 4 weeks ago #23630

• durgadas
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd want to be sure that I could view my comics over my local area network connection on my SAN, like I do now with my PC. I can't stand that ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Comic readers for iPad are reliant on file transfers. Not. even a little bit interested in that (unless I missed something important). I don't see the point.

I have like 200+ GB of comics, and right now, I have no access to them via my iPad in the way I want. I don't understand why this is.

We have iCloud for syncing everything- why not have something like iCloud for my comic collection, where I can choose what to read, or share it out as I like.

If anyone has any information on how I might resolve this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Regis

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23642

• dkazaz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
durgadas wrote:
I'd want to be sure that I could view my comics over my local area network connection on my SAN, like I do now with my PC. I can't stand that ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Comic readers for iPad are reliant on file transfers. Not. even a little bit interested in that (unless I missed something important). I don't see the point.

I have like 200+ GB of comics, and right now, I have no access to them via my iPad in the way I want. I don't understand why this is.

We have iCloud for syncing everything- why not have something like iCloud for my comic collection, where I can choose what to read, or share it out as I like.

If anyone has any information on how I might resolve this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Regis

If you had iCloud for your comics collection, it would mean that you would need to sync your 200GB collection to iCloud, meaning (a) you'd need over 200GB of paid storage on iCloud, and (b) it would totally consume all your available bandwidth killing your Internet connection.
I don't think this is what you want.

I assume what you really want is to browse your collection over the iPad and open any file you want.

There are 2 ways to do that:
1) using an app to browse your NAS (I assume that's what you have since SAN is a corporate solutions costing several tens of thousands $), like a hard disk. I can recommend a good one called "FilesConnect" it will browse all systems e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, Dropbox, WebDAV etc. it can download any files you want and transfer them to your reader. It's not perfect but it works.
2) using a comic reader that can directly download from your PC, like ComicGlass. This will require you to run some special fsoftware on your PC or NAS to allow the reader to browse it.

I recommend option 2, it takes a bit longer to set up, but works pretty well and gives the best experience (until comicrack comes to the iPad)!

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23643

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
To this, I would add the webserver script for comicrack, that lets you browse your library with metadata and read your comics remotely...

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23652

• Esparte
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry but I can't vote, because I have two devices, my android phone (with the pay version of comicrack) and my iPad who I have it whit bookman pro because don't exist a version for iOS if you create a version for iPad I buy it but this didn't mean I let for a side my android version of comic rack.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23654

• durgadas
  • Fresh Boarder
The webserver script? Does it go by a different name? Can't find anything in the plugins section that responds to this. It doesn't seem to me that the plugins section on this website is very easy to use. I can't see *ALL* files I have to choose from, etc.

Can you be more specific?

Thanks,
Regis

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23655

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
durgadas wrote:
The webserver script? Does it go by a different name? Can't find anything in the plugins section that responds to this. It doesn't seem to me that the plugins section on this website is very easy to use. I can't see *ALL* files I have to choose from, etc.

Can you be more specific?

Thanks,
Regis

You are absolutely right. I was in a rush. Actually there are two different approaches being developed in early stages and they are not at the scripts forum, but at the developers one:

- This one came first, and is an actual script run within comicrack:
  • http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developers/23208-web-based-comicviewer-for-ipad-and-other-tablets

• - This other one is a standalone program (it actually requires that you have a webserver installed) that does not require CR running:
  • http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developers/comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developers/23208-web-based-comicviewer-for-ipad-and-other-tablets
  • Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by perezmu.

Re: Let's say there would also be an IPad version. 7 years 3 weeks ago #23685

• jeroenwalter
    • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 41
    Actually, being the one that started both those topics, they're one and the same.

The oldest topic was more or less an announcement that I was working on a web based reader.
    The other one is the announcement that I was finished and released it to the public.

I think you mean this ComicRack plugin as the webserver script:
    http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developers/21194-comicrack-web-viewer

That script directly takes it info from ComicRack, while my solution for now scans the content of each comic and extracts the info from the embedded comicinfo.xml file.
    Different solution, but the goal is the same: access ALL your comics on your tablet without file transfers.
    You are absolutely right. I was in a rush. Actually there are two different approaches being developed in early stages and they are not at the scripts forum, but at the developers one:

- This one came first, and is an actual script run within comicrack:
    comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developer...ad-and-other-tablets

- This other one is a standalone program (it actually requires that you have a webserver installed) that does not require CR running:
    comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developer...ad-and-other-tablets
    Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by jeroenwalter.
    Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

Who's Online

We have 103 guests and no members online