Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: After a Long Hard Slog ...

After a Long Hard Slog ... 5 years 6 months ago #21577

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
through literally thousands of comic files and nearly as many images, I've finally completed sorting all my digital comics into directories and loaded it all into CR. Give or take, the result is 60k comics coming in at just over 700gb.

All this sorting was done manually using a directory naming and structure system of my own. I had a bit of help from Advanced Renamer and Duplicate Cleaner (by DigitalVolcano). Several thousand loose jpg's had to be zipped and renamed into cbz's (using 7zip). With a job and family and all the other real world commitments of life, this has been a battle of over two months.

And it's finally done. Now, the next battle looms ...

I've got to scrape all these files. Holy crap. I also expect I'll have to work through some library structure and lists and who knows what all.

I'm struck by the fact that, had I been using CR from the start as I gathered all these ecomics over the years, this would have been much less painful. I'm hoping to spare myself further torture by asking this question up front ...

What should I do now?

There are probably some strategies out there for scraping the library info for all this mess and possibly other suggestions that will help in the long run. Any advise moving forward would be much appreciated.

D
Java devil, you are now my bitch.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by donspace. Reason: Typos ... like always
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: After a Long Hard Slog ... 5 years 6 months ago #21607

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
1) Turn on the Advanced preference called "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" (page 71, here.)

This causes most of the information that you scrape or manually enter to be written directly into your comic book files (instead of only into the ComicRack database). You might be glad you did this one day when you need to move your comic library to another computer.

2) Also, consider using ComicRack's Export to CBZ feature to convert all of your current (and future) CBR files into CBZ files. The scraped data in your CBR files will get lost if you ever end up copying your files to a non-windows filesystem--but this doesn't happen with CBZ files. As far as I know, there's no significant advantage to CBR files that would make it worth putting up with that risk, so you might as well convert 'em.

3) Keep in mind that a new (beta) version of the Comic Vine Scraper will come out this weekend. It accesses the ComicVine database more efficiently, and has some other new features that might make it faster to scrape your collection. So you might want to wait for it. On the other hand, it will be a beta version and probably have a few bugs. Also, usually when a new scraper comes out, a bunch of people rescrape their entire gigantic collections, and the Comic Vine servers get real slow for a few days. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: donspace

Re: After a Long Hard Slog ... 5 years 6 months ago #21612

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for ... thanks! I've been opting for CBZ as a rule, but there is a ton of this stuff that is still CBR. I remember reading about the advantage of CBZ and CB7 files before.

I'll also heed your advice about waiting for the new CV Scraper version.

D
Java devil, you are now my bitch.

Re: After a Long Hard Slog ... 7 months 4 weeks ago #46977

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
I only got one question for that: I changed the settings to "Allow writing of Book info into files"

Now there's one question: Do I have to "work" on every single file again or will ComicRack update all the files without any further action? If I don't need to do anything else now: How long could this take? As I have several hundreds of comics, I just imagine that it might last a while until all the files are updated

And: Not all my files are cbr/cbz - some are pdf, too! Does this setting work on the pdf-files, too?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Re: After a Long Hard Slog ... 7 months 4 weeks ago #46980

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Yeah, I think you have to make a change to a comic before extra details get saved to the comic book file. This isn't that hard to do, though. Just select all of your files (or do them in smaller batches if you want). Edit the properties for the whole group of files at once -- just pick a field in the comic data that you never use, and change it to something. Click OK on the dialog, then go back and change the field back to nothing. Voila! You've edited all the comics without changing anything.

You'll probably notice that it takes a few minutes for ComicRack to finish writing the changes to all the files. Once it's done, close ComicRack, and use Windows Explorer to go look at one of the files you'd hoped to update. If that last modification date was a couple seconds/minutes ago, then you know the file was updated. (If the file is a .CBZ file and you're feeling brave, you can also temporarily rename it to a .ZIP file, and open it and look inside to see if your data is saved in there.)
Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by cbanack.

Re: After a Long Hard Slog ... 7 months 4 weeks ago #46984

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmmmmm... I think I have been following your description step by step, changing the field "My Rating" twice and when I closed the program CR says "All data is saved"

But then in explorer (rightclick --> properties) I couldn't find ANY information of my CR-Data. And I even don't have a chance to modify what I see under "properties". Possibly that's a Windows 8 problem, as I remember the change of view in XP to make the data "visible" I wanted to see.

But instead of saving the data this way: I allready regulary did backups to avoid huge losses. If I'd plug my harddisk to a non-windows system, couldn't I open there that backup-xml as well to hold all my data?
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Who's Online

We have 235 guests and one member online