Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Thumbnail sizes

Thumbnail sizes 9 years 3 weeks ago #2256

• actioncomics
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have a question about the thumbnails and how ComicRack deals with them.

I noticed the slider at the bottom right that can adjust the image. Does CR make a large image when extracting and resizing? The reason I ask is that the default 100mb for the image cache fills up fast. Is there a way to adjust the initial image that it creates. Chances are I won't be using large thumbnails...so if I cut the size in half that would be twice as much as you could store in 100mb.

Just curious.

Thanks
ac
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Thumbnail sizes 9 years 3 weeks ago #2258

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
ComicRack caches a 512x512 image (~35kb) for each page/cover it comes by. This gives a cache size of about ~3000 thumbnails.

Size settings in ComicRack do not influence the generated thumbails.

Re:Thumbnail sizes 9 years 3 weeks ago #2261

• actioncomics
  • Senior Boarder
Could it be possible to have an option in the Preferences to have it generate a thumbnail half that size? That would allow for people that use large thumbnails and those that don't, to have an option(256x256 instead of 512x512). Most of the performance hit (which really is not bad) was from thumbnails being generated. So I was just throwing out an idea that would allow for more thumbnails to be stored, so then the program would not have to generate as many. I do realize that you can up the amount of hard drive space for the thumbnails if needed, but this was just a thought I had.

Also another idea would be to have separate caches for the "lists". That way thumbnails for your lists would already be generated when you go to read them.

This was just a couple of ideas that I had. I am not a programmer so I don't know how difficult that would be. And you probably already have enough to do as it.

ac

Re:Thumbnail sizes 9 years 3 weeks ago #2269

• imsabbel3
  • Senior Boarder
Yup. 512x512 is really huge for thumpnails.
Also, i noticed that there is a performance drop after a while simply because of file system /MFT fragmentation: 1000s of little files that get created and deleted can do this.
Maybe something more "solid" would be a better choice for the tumbnails...

Re:Thumbnail sizes 9 years 3 weeks ago #2280

• actioncomics
  • Senior Boarder
cYo please don't take what I say as critizism. You have an excellent program that works really well. The way it is now is perfectly fine by me.

I would hate for to many files to be placed in with the comic but what if you place a small thumbnail in the comic itself. maybe 128X128 then if someone wanted the bigger thumbnail ComicRack could generate it. but look specifically for the thumbnail in the zip file.

Just a thought

From my paper copies I have over 5000 comics. Each one has scans in ComicRack. If I am doing the math right with each comic having 20 pages that would equal about 150 comics stored at one time on the default. Defragmentation could become an issue. One way to take care of fragmentation is if we could choose where the cache is stored for those of us who have a seperate small partition/drive we could put it there. Or in my case I have a RAM drive set up I could put it there (speed would definitly increase).

Again please don't think that I don't like this program, it is great.
Thanks
ac
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Who's Online

We have 213 guests and one member online