Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ditching Paper All Together

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24468

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 189
Well, I've finally decided to scan ALL of my entire paper comics collection and then sell the originals. As much as I love the nostalgia of my paper collection they have just gotten to take up way too much storage space plus keeping them properly preserved is so time consuming. I have a daunting task ahead of me, but it should be a fun process. I may even post my scans up someday. Oh well, things change and evolve with time. Look ma, no paper, I've gone full TRON and embraced the age of digital!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24469

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
oraclexview wrote:
Well, I've finally decided to scan ALL of my entire paper comics collection and then sell the originals. As much as I love the nostalgia of my paper collection they have just gotten to take up way too much storage space plus keeping them properly preserved is so time consuming. I have a daunting task ahead of me, but it should be a fun process. I may even post my scans up someday. Oh well, things change and evolve with time. Look ma, no paper, I've gone full TRON and embraced the age of digital!

Indeed, I feel the same way. I went to trades, and now with the advent of publishers offering downloads through Comixology etc, web comics are the way of the future.

Though I'll miss sifting through my local flea market for cheap yellowed comics. The smell of opening one, the feel of it, and the joy of reading them is something that will be lost in an all too digital age.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24471

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I went digital a few years back. I still remember stumbling across a digital issue of my (then) favourite comic. Living in Italy, there were only 2 options at the time:

• buying Italian reprints - which meant having to deal with missing issues (mini-series and one-shots that, due to licensing costs, were not imported and translated
  • buying american imports, which cost an arm and a leg, and too prohibitive

So, finding out that I could read the stories with original dialogues, and actually find all of the issues I wanted - well, that turned me into an even bigger comic book geek.
I continued to buy Italian comics (only 2 series that I still follow) - but, as far as American comics went, the choice was easy.

The advent of tablets has made this even better (I remember sitting in bed with a 17" laptop reading comics - not the most comfortable thing) - and I'm glad to see that publishers are going digital. The problem is the same I see with mp3s - the price. 1.99 an issue (the cheapest ones), for me, is still high.

I may someday (possibly when I have to move) sell my paper collection, which is also simply taking up space. Unfortunately, being in Italian, my comics will not be worth as much as their American counterparts would have been.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24512

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
You know, the funny part is, I've pulled out about half of my collection from storage and I've found myself getting that nostalgia feeling you only get from going through your paper books. It's gonna be hard to get rid if these great books until I realize how much space 4,000 books take up physically. Just going through half that many has had me using muscles in my back that I had forgotten even existed (I guess that means I need to incorporate more types of exercises in my regular workouts).
Can I really part ways with modern classics like the first 25 issues of series like Spawn, Harbinger, Solar, Man of the Atom and other Valiant Comics' first two years, Event Comics such as Ash and Painkiller Jane, Chaos Comics such as Evil Ernie and Lady Death, Crossgen Comics' first couple of years, or Defiant Comics' first year? This is gonna be hard. :P

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24547

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 554
I did this with my collection a couple of years ago, and I haven't looked back. It's great having my comics stored in a format (digital) that is guaranteed not to degrade or take up space.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24551

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
cbanack wrote:
I did this with my collection a couple of years ago, and I haven't looked back. It's great having my comics stored in a format (digital) that is guaranteed not to degrade or take up space.
Once I'm done, I know I'll feel the same way. You got any scanning advice for producing high quality scans. I've been playing around with scanning 52, issue Week 1 this past weekend and it's a bit involved.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24555

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 554
Hmmm...best advice I can think of is to get a good scanner; one that can feed itself pages and is capable of doing an entire comic book in one go. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap 3000 that worked fairly well.

In terms of the quality of the scan, scan at a high resolution (of course) and then be sure to look at the image on your screen at a normal page size when you are comparing it to the book you're holding in your hand. If you look at the image all zoomed in, it's going to look like your scanner is doing a bad job, but that's because your monitor has way few dpi than and comic book page.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24558

• wintermute2517
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I have an Epson GT-2500 but I've never tried scanning my comics. Too afraid I'll mess up my original... :pinch:

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24563

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Actually I was more referring to the processes you perform, if any, in Photoshop or any other image editing app to enhance the quality of the images after they have been scanned.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 4 months ago #24565

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Here is a sample of the final look of page 5 that I scanned.

Attachment 52_Week_1_0005_sample2.jpg not found

I adjusted the Levels, Saturation and used the following three Noise filters: Dust & Scratches, Despeckle, and Median.

Here is the same area before editing:

Attachment 52_Week_1_0005_sample2_org.jpg not found

The differences between the two stand out much more when viewed at fill size where I've edited each page to be 1920px in size so that they should hopefully look great on a New iPad.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Who's Online

We have 110 guests and no members online