Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ditching Paper All Together

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24567

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 550
I think you are already better at this than I am. :) I have no advice to offer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24573

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 111
The village elder, Google, provided this insight on your problem:

Comic scanning tutorial

which seems highly appropriate and discusses filters (some of which you already use) and the first reply mentions a program for batch processing the images, Faststone Image Resizer.

fK

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24579

• James Spaceman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have both hard copy and digital, been collection since 1988. I love having both. The comic shop has been a monthly ritual for so long that it wouldn't feel right if we didn't go.

A couple times a year we also drive to the larger shop in my area and spend the day hunting back issues which is fun too.

We also have a few others we make day trips annually to hunt their inventories.

I use digital for portability and also because I will never have an Amazing Spider-Man #3 on hard copy.

Just my take on it, I couldn't convert 100%, I like both.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by James Spaceman.

Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24595

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 189
@ Spaceman - I most likely won't scan all of my books. I'm thinking I'm just going to do all of the stapled bound books. All of the Prestige Format and GN/TPB would take on too much damage in order to do a proper scan of the pages so these will have to be acquired digitally by other means. Luckily I don't usually collect many, if any, TPB edition books so non-stapled books are only a small portion of my collection. Plus I may still hold onto the more rare books as well...haven't really decided if I'll keep these or not yet.
forkicks wrote:
The village elder, Google, provided this insight on your problem:

Comic scanning tutorial

which seems highly appropriate and discusses filters (some of which you already use) and the first reply mentions a program for batch processing the images, Faststone Image Resizer.

fK
Actually, that very link you posted is one of the references I came across last weekend when I began my test scanning which I've been using. It is time consuming checking all those different tweaks yet it really enhances the book and makes the digital conversion worth the effort.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24685

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Ha ha, so I finally finished scanning and editing my first book. It was slow at first as I was figuring out the best practice that I was satisfied with. It turned out pretty well for my first one. A 36 page C2C scan that came out to be 52MB in size at 1920 pixels wide.

Re: Ditching Paper All Together 6 years 3 months ago #24706

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
So I just read an article today about a big time ex-scanner who was at one point scanning at a rate of 1 book in 20 to 40 minutes. That's pretty damn fast. :lol: I'm thinking they were only counting time taken to scan the book and not including time used to edit the images. Plus, I also wonder at what DPI did they have their scanner set to...300 DPI? Or maybe higher...if it was set to 300 or higher then that's a pretty fast scanner, especially since this was someone who was scanning books years ago. I thought I'd share that since I found the article to be quite interesting.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

Who's Online

We have 140 guests and 2 members online