Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Another Windows 8 rant

Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24499

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
So I finally installed Microsoft's latest and greatest OS on my Desktop machine (as a VM of course)

The following images show you what happens when you make a Tablet OS converge with a 27' desktop monitor. The result is just crazy. Either empty space (mostly) or a screen crammed with small text.

The Apps are: News, Travel, Finance, Messages, Calendar and Mail.

Enjoy :)

plus.google.com/photos/11063101002894282.../5768261904801728401
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Stonepaw

Re: Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24505

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 111
Its even better with multiple large monitors side by side :)

And as microsoft would say, "it's fast and fluid" [being formatted out - added by me].

Also, install Classic Shell and follow [url=hhttp://www.askvg.com/download-classic-shell-skin-to-get-windows-7-look-like-start-menu-and-start-button-in-windows-8/]this[/url]. You'll get an error or two along the way, but it works. It gets good then.

By the way, this is what metro looks after you actually install software:
metro mess

How someone can claim that is easier to navigate than the start menu, or even equally easy, is totally baffling. Its like a totally different planet. Cats and dogs living together, and other end-of-the-world stuff. [Go see ghostbusters if you didn't get that].

fK
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by forkicks.

Re: Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24509

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 189
Based on you guys' posted pics, I'm beginning to wonder why Microsoft wasn't smart enough to design Windows 8 to display a classic shell or a Metro shell based upon the CPU type or model that was present in the system it was booted on. Then give the user an easy quick access link to an option to hard set the default view should Windows 8 initially default to a display style that you don't like. Ugg, Microsoft...why are things that seem like common sense by now, still elude you by final product release time?

Re: Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24511

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Because Microsoft is scared crazy because of this:

So they try to leverage their desktop strength to the tablet and phone.
Even Microsoft can not tell you what the advantage of the new Metro UI is on the Desktop.

What most people don't get is that Metro is not just a new UI style. It is a new way on how you work with apps (a way that makes sense on portable small screen devices). It introduces (forces) the single app/task paradigm onto the desktop.

On a real desktop you can have a book, a calculator, a sheet of paper and a cup of coffee side by side and work with them at the same time. Metro is like looking up something in the book, putting the book away, getting the calculator, do the calculation, put the calculator away, get the sheet and write the result, put the sheet away and drink your coffee.

Because of this full screen only, single task apps do not make sense on the desktop. Everyone who once tried to create an email with multiple images and multiple web links on a tablet or phone knows what I mean. Or think of drag and drop data from one Metro app to the next - yes exactly :)

I'm only talking Metro on the Desktop here. Metro is a fine Tablet UI, but personally I still prefer Android (best Mobile OS) and iOS (best User Experience).
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, oraclexview

Re: Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24514

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 189
I totally get why Microsoft is doing what they are doing, and that in itself is smart. I'm all for Metro dynamics on a completely mobile platform, but before they push it on the desktop/laptop, you'd think they'd wait until it was proven a massive hit in the mobile space first before jacking with the flagship product, especially in a non-intuitive non-user-friendly way. I mean, this is the very reason why Apple has been catching back up wit them slowly but surely.
That's why Toyota was so successful with their hybrid platforms, and Apple with their mobile platforms...they both first tested it on a completely new product, and then once that caught massive viral appeal, they merged or incorporated certain aspects into their flagship product. Microsoft still hasn't learned to implement this now greatly proven design/production model when trying to reinvent a large corporation well known for doing things a certain way for so long. People won't embrace a change from the norm on what they do know until the design and structure changes are massively praised on a product that they don't know.
Don't force a new platform on the desktop encampment that's clearly designed for the mobile space without first fully proving that the masses love it within the industry segment it was originally developed for.
Just my two cents.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Another Windows 8 rant 6 years 3 months ago #24518

• Deathspike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
The strategy is to streamline user experience -- mobile, web services, game console, desktop, ... -- everything should be familiar. The design works well for all devices, except for the desktop, because it's a completely different beast and as mentioned by cYo, the application structure has been changed for the worse. A lot of beautiful features are integrated into the platform, but the platform is not interesting for the primary/business market due to the learning curve, loss of productivity and the astounding lack of management tools due to the introduction of the blasphemous WinRT (For example, no Active Directory, what are network administrators going to do?).

From a business perspective, since learning curve costs cannot be avoid, it would start to make sense to migrate to a Linux environment. I would argue that Ubuntu with Unity is both easier to learn and is more productive; the remaining issue is custom applications that cannot be migrated easily (this is not the case for marketing and banking sectors, for example, but is applicable on custom windows-only management tools in other sectors). There are good things to be said, too, though.

Take .NET 4.5 for example, the primary programming environment for Windows is undergoing a radical change that makes it much easier to deal with multi-threaded environments and optimize performance -- and is compatible with WinRT and other devices. That said, WinRT actually does not allow native applications to be ran (!), which is a big issue for applications designed around that. It is claimed that native applications can be ran with minor changes, however this does not seem to be the case in real-world applications. Dependencies on Win32 have to be rewritten, and for the non-programmers, that is pretty much everything you ever see.

I started ramping up my investments in Linux-based technologies, and will skip Windows 8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 149 guests and 2 members online