Sunday December 21 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads)

ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24783

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 161
OK, so one day I'm dragging Apple and it's practices though the mud and then the next day I researching how to get the most out of ComicRack using your iOS devices. What a character I am, right?

Any way, while I was doing some research due to reading a recent new feature request for being able to view books in a cloud based storage on ComicRack I stumbled upon something that caused a light bulb to go off in my head. With this setup, all users here that own an iPhone, iTouch or iPad (this would most likely be the best device to take advantage of this setup) can view their entire book library remotely and relatively for free. Isn't that awesome?

Here is a screenshot to prove that it is possible. Since I don't own a iPad (but I recommend that all of you with one try this out IMMEDIATELY!) this is a screenshot from my iPhone 4:
ComicRack-for-Windows-on-iPhones.jpg

How did I do this you may be wondering? I didn't use any stupid cloud service, so you don't have to worry about cloud service cost, or the service going down, or your data being compromised due to it being on someone else servers. I only used my computer at home with internet service running ComicRack for Windows, my iPhone with 3G data service, and a free app from the wonderful company LogMeIn that I was already using weekly to work remotely from home on my computer.

Download LogMeIn from the App Store. It is FREE. DO NOT download LogMeIn Ignition. This is the original version of the app that cost $129. Recently, LogMeIn created the free version for iOS just like their free versions for the PC and Mac. If you don't already have a LogMeIn account, create one. You'll also need to download LogMeIn for free for your computer as well if you don't already have it. Once those are both installed and setup, you open up the LogMeIn app on your iOS device, log into your account, and then select the computer you want to remote into:
ComicRack for Windows on iPhones2.PNG

Then it'll prompt you to log into your computer, and there you go...you are now controlling your computer remotely from your iOS device. Launch ComicRack for Windows from there and you are off and running to freely view all of the books in your library remotely.

Those of you with an iPad, give this a try if you like the idea and post screenshots here in this thread, and let us know what you think of this way of viewing ComicRack on a iOS device.

Happy reading everyone!
p.s. I still may boycott Apple if they win those stupid lawsuits. :laugh:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24791

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 480
Installing this is giving me an error..:(

8-3-2012 10-25-36 PM.jpg
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24792

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Another thing to note is that if you want to take full advantage of your equipment's HD resolutions then it may be worth to to you to upgrade to a paid LogMeIn Pro account which gives you a lot more features. One of those additional features is the ability to view your remote session in HD resolutions. As you can see from my example above, my remote session isn't taking full advantage of my remote computer's 1080p resolution settings thus the blurred image of my comic when zoomed in. I also believe that when you first sign up from a free LogMeIn account, you get LogMeIn Pro for free your first month so that you can test out its features.

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24793

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
Installing this is giving me an error..:(
That is weird. I've installed LogMeIn on three Windows OS computers (one Windows XP Pro, one Windows Vista Home Premium, and another Windows 7 Home Premium) and the LogMeIn app on an iPhone 4 and have never gotten this message. What device were you installing it on when you got this message and do you get it every time you try to install it?

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24794

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 480
Well.. i don't know but, I restarted my PC and the error resolved. Probably some Windows 8 bug (as usual) :P

So, I was able to control ComicRack from my iPad. While I can, it is, at best, a compromise. Only if you HAVE to use ComicRack from your iPad, then only you should do this. The overall experience was, well, a bit choppy.

Here are the screens:

I found the image transfer function to be extremely fast & efficient:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24795

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
@600WPMPO - great screenshots there buddy. I see based on your pics there that you were given LogMeIn Pro for free so that you could take advantage of HD resolutions. It is mos def a work around solution, and I mostly suggested this for the fact that you don't have to worry about syncing your books to your limited space device (the lack of serious storage space is the thing that annoys me most about tablets) and I hate the whole cloud movement because that works off the principle of downloading or streaming files to your device which eats up more bandwidth than just remoting into my computer and viewing my collection from there. Though streaming would probably be better for music and video files, but for reading, I think a remote session might be best.

Side note, the Pro version features like HD resolutions, file transferring, and motoring the details of your remote session (if I recall it'll break down things like bandwidth usage per application you're using while remoted in) are all pretty cool features. I sometimes think about upgrading to the Pro version but then I'm like "nawh, I'm cool."...the free version just gives me remote access, and that's really all I need. I used this app all the time when remoting PC to PC and I love it so I thought I'd share this.

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24805

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 80
The only problem with LMI (or Teamviewer or anything like that) is that the speeds can sometimes be really, really bad.

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24810

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Shinrai wrote:
The only problem with LMI (or Teamviewer or anything like that) is that the speeds can sometimes be really, really bad.
I've been using LMI for over a year now and I've never had a speed or connection problem unless my ISP itself is having issues. So as long as my connection is solid, then it's all G double O D good. I found that LMI has virtually no lag whatsoever for me, especially when compared with WebEx which is what I used to use before finding LMI. LMI was even cheaper than WebEx...free compared to $15/month back then.

Re: ComicRack for Windows on iOS (meaning all iPhones & iPads) 2 years 4 months ago #24816

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 80
I am a bit biased; I use LogMeIn Rescue on a daily basis in a professional capacity, but I'm routinely connected to systems with upwards of 6 1920x1200 displays going. In my experience a phone has trouble keeping up anyway, though.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Who's Online

We have 226 guests online

PIM

You are not logged in.