Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: The reader is still terrible :(

The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2822

• jeejee0
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I came to check out this program after having ditched it some time ago. The database aspect of the program is excellent, however the reader is absolutely terrible.

The experience of opening a comic to read is unfortunately still very confusing and frustrating. Sadly, a wonderful comic database is ultimately useless if reading the comics within it causes such headaches.

I've left detailed feedback on this when I originally tried this program so I won't go into it again. But essentially the behaviour I want is when I double click on a comic, that comic is opened in CDisplay.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2823

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Double clicking a comic in the list is not confusing to me.
But I'm always open to substantiated criticism.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2825

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
So, what you're saying is that you want the in-built viewer to pipe to a different piece of software? I suppose that's your preference, but how is that a legitimate criticism? ComicRack is not /just/ a library program, and there's nothing wrong with the viewer in it. And it's already just double-click to open...

EDIT: I read your other posts and, well, they just seem like personal preference issues. I know for one I wouldn't like some of them (especially auto-Open In New Window if the preview pane is hidden, EWW NO THANKS). In general it seems like you like new windows for everything; that's your prerogative, and maybe cYo could add some config options for some of this behavior, but I don't think he needs to change the default behavior. Sorry if this software isn't your cup of tea, but IMO it's the best thing out there by a long shot.

I do possibly agree that if you have the reader undocked and close it, it should close the currently open comic. I don't use this functionality but it sounds counterintuitive.
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Shinrai.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2826

• jeejee0
  • Fresh Boarder
Shinrai wrote:
So, what you're saying is that you want the in-built viewer to pipe to a different piece of software?

Hi, no that's not really what I want. Ideally I would just like the ComicRack reader to function like CDisplay, since I find that reader incredibly intuitive and easy to use.
ComicRack is not /just/ a library program, and there's nothing wrong with the viewer in it. And it's already just double-click to open...

Personally I find a lot of things wrong with the reader experience. Maybe I'll write up a new post talking about it.
Sorry if this software isn't your cup of tea, but IMO it's the best thing out there by a long shot.

Well I think it's really awesome in a lot of ways and hats off to Cyo for the project. I don't mean to be overly negative, I'm just disappointed to come back and find it still basically unusable due to the reader and UI issues.
I do possibly agree that if you have the reader undocked and close it, it should close the currently open comic. I don't use this functionality but it sounds counterintuitive.

It's this kind of thing that bothers me a lot, there are a lot of wonky UI behaviours.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2827

• cYo
to my knowledge you can configure ComicRack to exactly work like CDisplay (keys/mouse/display options).

Tell me about the "wonky" UI behavior.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2864

• cbookfan
  • Fresh Boarder
I would love the option to allow the use of another viewer in a config. I'm having issues with the in program viewer as well. When I want to view a comic to fill to fit the top to bottom it is just garbled.

Right now I'm using comicrack open to folder feature to find and using another program look at comics in my collection.

Again thank you for all your work on the program.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2870

• cYo
could you supply a screenshot of your problems?

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 10 months ago #2908

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Sounds like he has something set to resize without keeping the aspect ratio, which will cause the image to look stretched out and unrecognizable sometimes.

If this is the case, obviously it is not a fault with the app.

Re:The reader is still terrible :( 8 years 9 months ago #3030

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Link to discussion on the issue cbookfan mentioned and the solution to it.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=9&func=view&catid=9&id=2863 - alternate viewers
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Who's Online

We have 293 guests and one member online