Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 7 months ago #41854

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Is there a way to perform something like an IMPRINT_ALIAS as in from DC Universe to DC Comics?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 7 months ago #41855

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
romsnesrom wrote:
Is there a way to perform something like an IMPRINT_ALIAS as in from DC Universe to DC Comics?

You can use the IMPRINT advanced setting as described here: code.google.com/p/comic-vine-scraper/wiki/AdvancedFeatures
The following user(s) said Thank You: romsnesrom

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 7 months ago #41864

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
Maybe I got things wrong, but the two options I got from the IMPRINT option were to:
a) make a publisher be an imprint of another publisher or
b) make an imprint be an imprint of itself

The situation I got is that I have a publisher I want to keep (DC Comics) and an imprint I want to rename from "DC Universe" to "DC Comics".

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 7 months ago #41865

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Try using the PUBLISHER_ALIAS feature (described on the same page), i.e.:

PUBLISHER_ALIAS=DC Universe=>DC Comics

I can't remember off the top of my head how I implemented it, but I believe that works on all publishers, including imprints.

Another solution would be to use CR Data Manager, if it is still being supported:

code.google.com/p/cr-data-manager/

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41920

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, CR Data Manager did the trick.
This taxonomy change (anomaly?) is spreading. I have recently detected both "DC Universe" and "Marvel Universe" imprints in the CVDB entries for some new books.

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41921

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it possible that these are the correct values? I believe Comic Vine's rule is that you are supposed to use whatever publisher is listed on the comic book's indicia (the tiny little writing on the bottom of the inside front cover) or on the comic book itself.

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41947

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
It is possible (I do not have comics here right now) but does not change the fact that having a few random issues of a series under "DC Universe" imprint (and in my case folder) and the rest at "DC Comics" is not optimal. I would gladly change all my "DC Comics" to "DC Universe" if this would be the accepted value for all new releases, but as of right now, it is not. I am only getting some four odd DCU-imprinted issues (new and older) each week.

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41950

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
romsnesrom wrote:
It is possible (I do not have comics here right now) but does not change the fact that having a few random issues of a series under "DC Universe" imprint (and in my case folder) and the rest at "DC Comics" is not optimal. I would gladly change all my "DC Comics" to "DC Universe" if this would be the accepted value for all new releases, but as of right now, it is not. I am only getting some four odd DCU-imprinted issues (new and older) each week.

A couple of suggestions: Follow up on those issues/series at ComicVine so they're consistent. They should follow the indicia primarily. Only use other sources of information - including the front cover - if the indicia doesn't have that information. That means if the publisher is changing the name they're publishing under it should be reflected on ComicVine. That's unfortunate for us, but that's how ComicVine wants it.

Second, utilize the Data Manager to fix-up those values you don't like.

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41951

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
boshuda wrote:
romsnesrom wrote:

A couple of suggestions: Follow up on those issues/series at ComicVine so they're consistent. They should follow the indicia primarily. Only use other sources of information - including the front cover - if the indicia doesn't have that information. That means if the publisher is changing the name they're publishing under it should be reflected on ComicVine. That's unfortunate for us, but that's how ComicVine wants it.

Second, utilize the Data Manager to fix-up those values you don't like.

Yup, exactly. If the data is wrong at Comic Vine, you should try to fix it there, or get them to fix it.

If they won't change it at Comic Vine, but you still don't like it, then you can fix your collection how you like using Data Manager. (The scraper's PUBLISHER_ALIAS and IMPRINT hidden settings provide some limited options, but Data Manager is much more robust.)

Re: ComicVine Scraper Publisher & Imprint remaps 2 years 6 months ago #41959

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
I am not even sure how CVDB treats imprints right now. I did a search a few minutes ago and every imprint I could think of came out as a publisher... Do you know how does CVDB (and CVS by extension) treats imprints?
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Who's Online

We have 216 guests and 2 members online