Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Another reader thread

Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3163

Well, the other day, I installed CDisplayEX again, for no reason in particular. To say that it's primitive in comparison to ComicRack is an understatement, and it's missing a lot of features I commonly use in ComicRack, most importantly the wonderful zoom functions, not to mention the actually working two-page function (although the shade effect definitely needs to go)...
However it's obvious just how slow ComicRack has become, especially the reader. Loading new pages can, literally, take seconds, whereas in CDisplayEX it's damn near instantaneous. Wether the comic is added to the library or not does not affect this.
Is there something I have missed, something that could speed up the handling of comics in the reader, or is it simply the fact that ComicRack has become too, I'm sorry for saying this; bloated?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3166

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
It should not take seconds to switch pages.

Possible reasons:

* Using ghostscript for reading PDF comics can be slow

* Using solid archives (CBR and CB7) is of course slow.

* A massive cache can slow down ComicRack. Do you have thumbnail/image cache enabled? How big is your current cache and how much files are in there? Cache is located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\\cyo\\ComicRack\\Cache.
Try to clear the cache ( or alternatively rename "Cache" to "Cache Backup" ). Does this make any difference?

* Updating info in CBZ/CB7 files can slow down ComicRack. Try to disable "Update info data in eComics" in Preferences/Advanced/Extra.

Please tell me any findings.
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by cYo.

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3167

About 2300 files, a bit over 500 MB all in all. I tried clearing the cache as well as disabling both. Still no change, with really slow page loading. Tested on a comic with pages that were 1600 px in height, about 1~400 KB per page. Opened the same zip in CDEX and it loaded in pages the moment you pressed the button.

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3172

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Anyone else having this experience?
(And you can also answer if everything is fast :))

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3173

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cYo wrote:
Anyone else having this experience?
(And you can also answer if everything is fast :))

I have used most of the readers out there and ComicRack, while having the most feature rich experience, is the slowest. That being said... it is in no way unusable. In fact, if you have decent hardware, you shouldn't even really notice a speed problem unless you are opening very high res scans. I have a super high res scan of The Watchmen (about 600meg archive) that lags just a bit when turning pages. However, viewing most normal scans is just fine.

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3174

*Nods* It's certainly usable on lower resolutions, but I've very much noticed slowdown on larger files. It's not unusable (as in freezes) but it can definitely get annoying. Should mention, by the way, that my HDD isn't one that can be considered slow, and I have a fairly powerful GPU. Laptop hardware though. (But haven't had any problems with other programs...)

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3183

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
sagadarvulia wrote:
*Nods* It's certainly usable on lower resolutions, but I've very much noticed slowdown on larger files. It's not unusable (as in freezes) but it can definitely get annoying. Should mention, by the way, that my HDD isn't one that can be considered slow, and I have a fairly powerful GPU. Laptop hardware though. (But haven't had any problems with other programs...)

My laptop is a couple years old and has a nvidia 7 to go series in it, and it has no real problems with ComicRack. I think you aren't getting the performance you should be for some reason.

List your hardware specs if you are bored.

Re:Another reader thread 8 years 7 months ago #3184

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I will agree that, while my system is far from the most robust, ComicRack is appreciably slower at rendering than anything else I use. A high resolution page that might take a quarter to half-second to load in CDisplay can take upwards of 5 seconds in ComicRack sometimes (regardless of cache settings, etc).
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Who's Online

We have 208 guests and 3 members online