Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Tell me about your ComicRack

Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 8 months ago #3323

• mr.clix
  • Junior Boarder
  • Bang! Bang!
Which format does everyone prefer? Why?

I know I've been going to CB7 for size and being open-source. Right now I'm waiting for 0.9.106 to correct the current conversion problems before I convert the rest of my collection.

What scripts do you like?

I love the Chronowerks script, even if it occasionally pulls the wrong data, it's a huge time saver. And the Standardize Library files... what can I say? It make organization a breeze.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 8 months ago #3324

• spyd3r0x
  • Senior Boarder
CBZ for me. I like CB7 as well, but zip is the most universal compression format, and allows for the ComicInfo.xml to be embedded (versus CBR). I want to make sure it will be as easy as possible for me to open these files in the future, and zip is the easiest to access as almost all compression programs can handle it (not to mention built-in support in Windows).

I'm curious what compression level others use, though. I'm currently using a compression level of 1 (lowest) when creating the .cbz files. This allows the text files to be compressed, while still allowing fast decompression of images.

I use Chronowerks and Standardize Library as well, though I've modified the Standardize one quite a bit to follow my own standards.

I ended up creating a .bat file that converts all of the .cbr files in a directory to .cbz, for two reasons. ComicRack renames all image files during the conversion, and I wanted to make sure to preserve the pre-existing image names. ComicRack also strips out all non-image files (including .nfo, .txt), which I wanted to preserve. I make sure to convert the .cbr files before I pull them into ComicRack.

Re:Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 7 months ago #3496

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
It had never occurred to me to switch cbz to cbrs. If I do track down how to do it, will I lose all the meta data associated with it?

Re:Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 7 months ago #3498

• spyd3r0x
  • Senior Boarder
Bob wrote:
It had never occurred to me to switch cbz to cbrs. If I do track down how to do it, will I lose all the meta data associated with it?
I wouldn't switch cbz to cbr. I go the other way, converting cbr to cbz. You shouldn't lose any data, as long as you have ComicRack do the converting, but the data isn't as portable. With cbz, the data is stored in the .cbz file. With cbr, that isn't possible, so the data is only in the library, and in a stream on the NTFS disk (I believe this is just tied to that files current location, and is lost upon moving it).

Re:Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 7 months ago #3529

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
I don't know about everyone else.
But there are a couple tools I use when I'm dealing with my comics.
I'll list those here shortly and what I use each for and why:

CDisplay 1.8.5.0 (unoffical update of CDisplay 1.8)
This is an unofficial update to the old standby CDisplay, I still use this, and mainly for two reasons. The first and foremost reason is Windows Explorer thumbnail generation, which this enables.
This really helps out alot when organizing things, and is it's main advantage over ComicRack.
The second advantage over ComicRack for me is the speed that it loads a file.
When I'm going through comics in explorer, I might want to open a comic and browse through it real quick, see how it looks compared to another comic if I have copies by different scanners, the middleclick feature to "spread" out all the pages in a grid view also comes in handy. Just small speed things mainly that assist me in organizing.
I wouldn't want to read a comic in CDisplay tho.

Winrar
Good ol' Winrar.
Winrar just does most everything I want.
It will exclude extractions which is useful for random bits you find in a comic file sometimes that I personally just find to be a waste of space.
It has a handy rightclick context menu for converting archives, which is very useful for me as I prefer everything to be in .cbz instead of .cbr or otherwise. ComicRack seems to appreciate the .zip over the .rar more, loads them faster, then of course there is the added bonus of integrating the ComicInfo.xml
The main reason I use WinRar over other programs is the way it handles the integration of right click context menu's
I have had issues in the past getting other programs to see files that aren't named as .zip, .rar etc; as archives. I've also had issues with those programs trying to steal assosiations. I also haven't found one that has the convert archive feature that I'm so found of, in a right click menu.

WildRename
This tool is just wonderful.
I will run this anytime I finish mass converting a set of .cbr's top .zip, the one downside to WinRar's convert utility is it won't let you set a custom extension, it just lets you mass convert to .rar or .zip, so after converting 50+ .cbr's into .zips, WildRename cleans up and changes all tho .zip's to .cbz
WildRename also supports regular expressions, which is wonderfully useful in so many ways.

Photoshop CS4
What can I say, Photoshop speaks for itself when it comes to dealing with images.
There are a couple comics I read on a regular bases that are printed in black and white. For whatever reason, the people making these comics love to make them in huge .jpegs
.jpg is not a wonderful format when you are dealing with just 8 or less colors, use PNG8 there, the size difference, and how quickly both CDsiplay and ComicRack handle these images, is very very noticeable.
Example, I have one comic now where the average of the pages is around 600kb, after running them through my Photoshop batch script to convert them all to .png, each file on average is about 60kb, big difference.
It's also useful with color images. Simply saving with the Save As Web feature of Photoshop can trim up to 50% of the filesize off a color image, with little to no noticeable difference to the naked eye.

And then of course ComicRack, which speaks for itself.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oM8Hv_kVl3M/Sdubwj0lXtI/AAAAAAAAPJw/RefcRLyJSmM/s800/IMG_2712.jpg
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.

Re:Tell me about your ComicRack 8 years 7 months ago #3532

• spyd3r0x
  • Senior Boarder
I actually use some pretty similar tools.

I do all of my organizing via ComicRack. I import or fill in the comic's data, then use a modified version of the StandardizeLibrary script to move/rename the files appropriately.

That right-click conversion feature of WinRar does sound nice. I use 7zip for almost everything. If the files are .cbr files, I first use 7zip's right-click menu to Test all of the .cbr files, to make sure they're good. I then run a .bat file I created that uses 7zip to convert all the .cbr files in a directory to .cbz files. I then test the newly created .cbz files, to make sure the conversion when as expected.

I also use a renamer tool. I believe it is just called Renamer, I found it a long time ago. It can do all sorts of wacky renaming. Wildcards, replacements, etc. I use it to rename batches of .zip files to .cbz.
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and one member online