Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: WebP format

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36209

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
wktra wrote:
I have had little success in converting my collection to webp and successfully viewing it on Android. I spent three hours converting hundreds of titles and waiting for them to transfer only to find out ComicRack recognized 4 out of those hundreds.

And you know what? I feel f***ing jilted because it's the only reason I purchased the damn app. I was a million times happier with Perfect Viewer.

What a goddamn crock. If you're going to add it as a feature on Google Play, work out the damn bugs.

Sorry for the problems.
There is a bug in the .171 of CRW that prevents the correct conversion of WebP to JPeg.
If you have a pre 4.0 Android device (which does not support webp) you will not be able to open these comics.
Fix will be in .172 which I hope will be releases today.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36255

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
My findings so far with the new 0.9.172 update:

Setting the quality to 0 for WebP (switch to the lossless compressor) converts a 45MB CBZ(JPEG) file to 166.25MB CBZ(WebP) file. Why would I like to do that? :silly:

Letting the quality stay at the default (75) works the best for me. As earlier it converts a ~27MB CBZ(JPEG) to a ~8MB CBZ(WebP), with no apparent quality loss.

Reconverting a 8MB CBZ(WebP) to a CBZ(JPEG) is interesting. The pages are reconverted to JPEG, and the file size stays at 8MB. B)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36261

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
600WPMPO wrote:
My findings so far with the new 0.9.172 update:
Why would I like to do that?

You would use this if you were using another lossless format that was bigger.

An example of why some people use lossless can be seen in your second discovery about reencoding to jpg, the compression has lost the rest of that info, lossy formats by their nature loose information.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36264

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
jkthemac wrote:
You would use this if you were using another lossless format that was bigger.
You are absolutely correct. But practically speaking in the context of comic archives, this is a theoretical thought. Most comic archives use the JPEG format. PNG is lossless (as far as I know), but then I am yet to encounter the widespread use of CBZ files exclusively using PNG images (or, for that matter, TIFF or RAW images).
jkthemac wrote:
An example of why some people use lossless can be seen in your second discovery about reencoding to jpg, the compression has lost the rest of that info, lossy formats by their nature loose information.
Accepting all the 'losses' (although not visible to my naked eye), I think this 're-conversion' would be quite useful when someone with a pre 4.0 Android device (or any device/software that does not support WebP) would like a reduced size archive. :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36268

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
However such a hypothetical non-webP user would probably have less image degredation problems just reducing the compression in their jpg files using a good image editor with batch functions.

I am envious that you can't tell the difference, because to my hyper-critical eyes I find a well compressed jpg of the same size superiour to the webP, so i wouldn't then wish to reduce the size further.

I do wonder if this is an iPad retina screen thing, I made identical comics with each format and showed then to a friend to see if it was just me, and he instantly picked out the worse one (the webp) based on its blurring of text and edge artefacts, he said "why would you want to read this one when you could read the other one?" to which my answer was obviously I wouldn't.

Storage is cheap on a PC & Tablet files can be synced once they are read to pick up the next ones, so for normal use why compromise with my eyesight.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36273

• Harry
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, I also find too blurry the webp quality, but of course these are digital HD comics on an ipad3.

With lower resolution older scans it could be usable, but I already deleted those files and waiting for the digital versions.

By the way many people use png files with the black and white comics.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36305

• wolmerian
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys, I add comics to my tablet in 2 ways either by wirelessly syncing my library or just by copying the cbz (or cbr) file to my tablet. When I sync my library the files that include webp images are converted to cbp and can be read in the ComicRack Android App but if I use my other method and copy the file it cannot be read. I am using a nexus 7 running Android 4.3. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36316

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
This is a bug.
1.77 does not handle webp images correctly in manually copied comics.
I'll fix it in 1.78 (I'll try to release this today).

Re: WebP format 4 years 1 month ago #36373

• pcguru30
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just wanted to sa thank you for supporting this. I had never herd of this particular compressiontype for pictures until this release and I have 50 gigs worth of comics on my hard drive. I started small, with a group of one series to see how it would look and saw absolutely 0 loss in quality viewing from both my PC and my iPad mini, so I decided since that one series looked good I would go ahead and do the whole ball of wax. Obviously this took several hours, but I let it go while I slept so that didn't bother me but what was 50 gigs is now 18!!! I am absolutely FLOORED that that amount of compression can come with negligible quality loss and I can once again fit my entire collection on my 32 gig flash drive.. Very happy camper!

Re: WebP format 4 years 1 month ago #36438

• Rohanroms
  • Fresh Boarder
@cYo so are you saying that the huge filesize created by lossless WEBP is a bug and will be fixed in the new version??
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Who's Online

We have 249 guests and 6 members online