Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: WebP format

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36441

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
No, the bug comment was regarding CRA 1.77.

I did not look into the file sizes of lossless compression. If 0 is set, I now use WebPEncodeLosslessBGRA (whatever the result is of this one).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36442

• Harry
  • Fresh Boarder
The lossless webp is usually bigger than the jpg version, it's totally understandable. There is nothing wrong with it.

It's smaller than the lossless png, but it's not a common image format with comics. I saw png files only in some black and white cbrs.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36443

• Rohanroms
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok so I ran a few tests on an external application (IrfanView) and using lossless WEBP compression the filesize shot up from 632kb to 1.98mb. So it's not a good option if you're space conscious. Using lossy compression, here are the results:

WebP 100 - 895kb (slight blurring which surprisingly smoothed some artifacts in the source)
WebP 90 - 433kb (quality visually almost equal to that of WebP 100)
WebP 80 - 275kb (slight artifacting)
WebP 75 - 230kb (blurring + heavy artifacting)

I think WebP 80 is ideal for substantial compression with minimal quality loss. I have attached the source file that I've used. Your thoughts are welcome :)

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36444

• Rohanroms
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok I can't attach the JPG file for some reason. Sorry :P

At @cYo, a major issue that I forgot to mention is that for some reason, ComicRack displays WEBP compressed images in low quality (heavy artifacts) even if I'm using lossless compression. The same image looks fine if I use an external viewer. Can you look into this? Also if you're releasing a new version soon, a zoom out feature would be nice considering that most new comic releases are in HD
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rohanroms.

Re: WebP format 4 years 2 months ago #36445

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Not everybody has such a keen eye :)

This is because the current display engine caches images to disk. Disk caching is done with 75 jpg compression. I'll add an option to the next release to change this parameter or even switch to lossless png (will increase memory/disk cache consumption).

Re: WebP format 4 years 1 month ago #36932

• Jothay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I downloaded all of the DC chronology project files and every week of new 52 up to week 108. This took months of effort and yielded about 37,000 comics taking about 750 GB of space (I have plenty, space isn't a big deal).

When I first read about WebP I was curious and did some research online to find out what it was all about. The online results certainly looked good but I was wondering about how well it would work on a library this size. I ran a couple test converts from cbz/cbr jpgs to cb7 webp 80%... holy crap that made no visual difference on my win8 pro tablet Dell latitude 10 and ipad2. I primarily use the lat10 for comics because the aspect ratio is more conducive to comic book page size and its a better screen and... well its full windows so I can play with a real library instead of a sync'd one.

A week later I had reformatted my entire library to this new format. I'm currently sitting on 349 GB of 37,861 files. That's about half the storage space as before while still looking clean and crisp (if the source was good) on my tablets!

My only problem however is that now CRW often has a hard time displaying double-pages correctly. I get the background color but the page either takes several seconds to load or doesn't load at all. To view the page, I have to nav to the directory, open the archive with 7zip and preview the image with windows photo viewer (which comes right up, no delays in processing, so the file itself appears to be fine). To do this you have to install the Windows WebP codec from the link below, you may want to sticky this link somewhere for people:
developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webp_codec

So is there any way you can test this on your end? Would you need me to send some example files? Would you want me to try an unreleased version? I am a programmer with full development environments (VS2010/2012) so maybe I could do some performance profiling when those pages come up?

Re: WebP format 4 years 1 month ago #36993

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
600WPMPO wrote:
cYo wrote:
You can script this.
Modify the page type script and look for .webp extension in the images.
This is beyond my level of 'skill'. Maybe some good script writer will step up...:unsure:

p.s. Or maybe you can script this in your spare time ;)

Has anyone been able to do this yet? Right now I'm just tagging them, then converting a small amount. Don't want to do bulk unless there was a way of saving a list of the errors.

Re: WebP format 3 years 11 months ago #37621

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Now that this has been out for a few months, I'm sure our more advanced ComicRackers have played with it and (hopefully) found their ideal setup. Would they be willing to share with the rest of us their findings? I understand that no setup is ideal for everyone, but those who do have the large libraries, what kind of compression do you prefer (assuming this will replace your older jpg version and therefore will be a permanent decision rather than archiving your old comics to an external or some such)? Thanks for your time. Oh, and yes, I did notice Rohanroms' notes a few posts up, I was hoping for multiple viewpoints. Thanks again.

Re: WebP format: IOS Crashing 3 years 11 months ago #37677

• Pfantom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I decided to convert my library (32,000 issues) to the WebP format after reading the associated posts. Once the conversion completed, I had no problems syncing up with my iPad. A day ago, I decided to add a couple of new issues and lo a behold after syncing up, ComicRack would crash on my iPad. I tried several time to load the app until I finally gave up and deleted the app. Once I reinstalled the app and loaded my selected issues, I still have the crashing issue.

The progress bar loads to about 99% and then it crashes. I've rebooted the iPad several times; synced with iTunes and anything else that I could think of. Any thoughts?

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38388

• laxarus
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a question about this webp format. After converting a lossless PNG comic images to lossless WebP format with ComicRack, I noticed quality loss (This isn't supposed to happen in case of lossless conversions). But if I try to convert it by using command line application, there really isn't any quality loss.

How is this happening? Does the CR use the old webp library or some settings are not set properly?
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and 6 members online