Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: WebP format

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38460

• Darrian
  • Fresh Boarder
I would really like to get a Surface 2. Only problem is it seems I'm never going to see a version of ComicRack that works on Windows RT and there still isn't any news of BlueStacks getting released for Windows RT. Does anybody know of a comic reader in the Windows App Store that supports ARM and can read comics with the webp format? I'd really prefer not to have to convert my comics back to jpeg before transferring them to a tablet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38461

• pcguru30
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Darrian wrote:
I would really like to get a Surface 2. Only problem is it seems I'm never going to see a version of ComicRack that works on Windows RT and there still isn't any news of BlueStacks getting released for Windows RT. Does anybody know of a comic reader in the Windows App Store that supports ARM and can read comics with the webp format? I'd really prefer not to have to convert my comics back to jpeg before transferring them to a tablet.

If you're devoted to the Surface 2 as opposed to an Android or iOS tablet, I would save up for the Surface pro. Sure it's more expensive, but you get a more powerful tablet with the bonus of having a full fledged version of Windows that can run ComicRack for Windows. RT just doesn't have the app following of Android and iOS and I don't really see an advantage of RT over the Android or iOS OS since it's support as a Windows platform is limited. Meanwhile the Surface Pro can run anything your PC can.

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38464

• Darrian
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, thanks, but the answer to "is there a reader that supports webp" is not "spend more than twice the money for a heavier, thicker tablet with poorer battery life." I'm well aware of the differences between the surface 2 and the surface 2 pro. However, my choice is between the surface 2 and the Lumia 2520, neither of which are x86. I already have an android tablet. This isn't about Android or (shudder) iOS.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Darrian.

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38516

I think this was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer. Is there a way to specify in a smart list to include/exclude comics with WebP format? Basically I want an easy way to determine which comics are in that format.

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38519

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Not out of the box.

It would be possible to write a smartlist script that looks into the page file names (they would have the webp extension).

Independent of that, I'll add some format specifier for smartlists in the next version. I think this is a good ide.

WebP format 3 years 8 months ago #38523

• laxarus
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Okay after further testing of lossless conversions and using other softwares, I can honestly say that there is something wrong with CR webp decoding or resize algorithm of CR with webp images.
What did I do?
- Converted a lossless PNG image to lossless WebP (with different programs to pin down the issue)
- Compared the two images using different softwares

When using other image viewing software (tested with photoshop, xnview, and ACDSEE), I can view them just fine with no quality loss as it should be the case for the conversion was lossless.

However, when viewing those images with CR, I can see fuzziness and blur.

I am attaching the test.rar which contains all the converted images and the original image. Just load it up with CR. The images are all named with appropriate names to indicate what progress they've gone through.

Use a different software other than CR and you can view no quality loss.

Edit 1: for some reason the attached file cannot be seen. Guess it's a filesize problem. here is the link instead:
test.rar
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by laxarus.

WebP format 3 years 7 months ago #38725

• anormal
  • Fresh Boarder
hi!

have you seen this comparison?

https://people.mozilla.org/~josh/lossy_compressed_image_study_october_2013/

i wonder if anyone has tested webp codec (latest 0.4) with different params (filter, sns, etc...) with different comic formats (linear b/w, full color, plain color,...) to compare compression and quality

if not, what kind of different comic images would you use to make a comparison? i can try to build some scripts to dump data and then test quality and sizes,
- full color
- plane color
- b/w linear
- b/w full

any more?
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by anormal.

WebP format 3 years 7 months ago #38857

• pcguru30
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
laxarus wrote:
Okay after further testing of lossless conversions and using other softwares, I can honestly say that there is something wrong with CR webp decoding or resize algorithm of CR with webp images.
What did I do?
- Converted a lossless PNG image to lossless WebP (with different programs to pin down the issue)
- Compared the two images using different softwares

When using other image viewing software (tested with photoshop, xnview, and ACDSEE), I can view them just fine with no quality loss as it should be the case for the conversion was lossless.

However, when viewing those images with CR, I can see fuzziness and blur.

I am attaching the test.rar which contains all the converted images and the original image. Just load it up with CR. The images are all named with appropriate names to indicate what progress they've gone through.

Use a different software other than CR and you can view no quality loss.

Edit 1: for some reason the attached file cannot be seen. Guess it's a filesize problem. here is the link instead:
test.rar

I wonder if this has anything to do with the issue of having to export a comic twice to get the smaller file size, because I'm still having that issue.. first export results in a larger file size and the second export with the exact same settings results in the smaller file size..

WebP format 3 years 2 months ago #40501

• laxarus
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I don't think exporting twice is the issue here since I only exported once and tried different softwares to view the results. The issue is decoding of the WebP file. Other image viewer programs can view those files properly but with CR you notice quality loss.

Still no news on this problem?

Edit: Gonna post this on bugs.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by laxarus.

WebP format 2 years 3 weeks ago #43932

• vc4u
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
cYo wrote:
Not out of the box.

It would be possible to write a smartlist script that looks into the page file names (they would have the webp extension).

Independent of that, I'll add some format specifier for smartlists in the next version. I think this is a good ide.

Hello cYo,

I know its been a long time you posted this, but I couldn't find if there has been any way added in program that can help prepare a smart list to filter comics based on WebP format. But in case you have done that can you confirm the way I can prepare the smart list and find out which oif my comics have been already converted to WebP and which Not?
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds

Who's Online

We have 262 guests and 5 members online