Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: WebP format

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44248

• Reducer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Has their been any consensus reached about using the WebP format? I converted an old paper-scan at 60% and have to say it looked really good. I couldn't really tell and it shrunk the file 50%!!! I'm usually pretty picky about stuff like this....I can pick out a FLAC encoded audio file from a 320K AAC, MP3, or OGG file. But it looks like WebP is good enough for me. Any general thoughts on this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44249

• Jothay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
My entire library is converted from what I get as cbz/cbr with jpg, etc to cb7/webp as it comes in. The *only* issue I've had is on my tablet a very large page (usually a double-pager) sometimes doesn't load in ComicRack for Windows. In those cases, I just extract the files and open it in IrFanView, read the page and move on. The images do load on my Laptop so I'm guessing it's just a memory issue on my tablet since it has so few resources.

On average the comics will drop to 40% original size with no visible signs of image loss. I can zoom way in and see no distortions. Note that this is significantly more reliable with modern comic coloring (2000+) where they went away form the more newspaper style dot printing to more solid, continuous colors. The old comics have a harder time getting down to the 40% size, but still don't lose image.

I highly recommend doing it yourself, but some people will argue caution still that you might have issues and lose comics. This has never happened to me once in over 93,000 converts.

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44250

• Reducer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks for relaying your experience. I think I'll take the plunge.

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44253

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
You guys think CB7 is really worth it? I have my CBZ export settings to "strong" zip compression (default is "no compression), and the file size is pretty much the same as CB7 - even with WebP. CB7 archives take eons to save the metadata in the comic, sync to a tablet, etc. I keep my stuff on a NAS so the access time is delayed even more. I'd say that strong CBZ operations take 33% the time or maybe less of CB7 ones. Maybe I'm missing something?
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by solidus0079.

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44254

• Jothay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I personally don't care how long it takes, it's an immediate flag to me that I have actually converted the image formats in the file. I have filters that look for cbz/cbr and it tells me I need to do the webp converts.

WebP format 1 year 11 months ago #44255

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Jothay wrote:
I personally don't care how long it takes, it's an immediate flag to me that I have actually converted the image formats in the file. I have filters that look for cbz/cbr and it tells me I need to do the webp converts.
Ah, ok, so you just use the .CB7 as a marker. Just curious, thanks.

WebP format 1 year 3 months ago #45980

vc4u wrote:
cYo wrote:
Not out of the box.

It would be possible to write a smartlist script that looks into the page file names (they would have the webp extension).

Independent of that, I'll add some format specifier for smartlists in the next version. I think this is a good ide.

Hello cYo,

I know its been a long time you posted this, but I couldn't find if there has been any way added in program that can help prepare a smart list to filter comics based on WebP format. But in case you have done that can you confirm the way I can prepare the smart list and find out which oif my comics have been already converted to WebP and which Not?

I would love something like this as well.

WebP format 1 year 3 months ago #46014

• CADScott
  • Fresh Boarder
General Zod wrote:
vc4u wrote:
cYo wrote:
Not out of the box.

It would be possible to write a smartlist script that looks into the page file names (they would have the webp extension).

Independent of that, I'll add some format specifier for smartlists in the next version. I think this is a good ide.

Hello cYo,

I know its been a long time you posted this, but I couldn't find if there has been any way added in program that can help prepare a smart list to filter comics based on WebP format. But in case you have done that can you confirm the way I can prepare the smart list and find out which oif my comics have been already converted to WebP and which Not?

I too would find this very useful, it is really difficult to find files that have already been converted, and accidentally converting a file that is already in WebP format makes the file size even larger!

WebP format 1 year 3 months ago #46023

CADScott wrote:
General Zod wrote:
vc4u wrote:
cYo wrote:
Not out of the box.

Hello cYo,

I too would find this very useful, it is really difficult to find files that have already been converted, and accidentally converting a file that is already in WebP format makes the file size even larger!
Yeah this is exactly why I want it.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by General Zod.

WebP format 1 year 2 months ago #46090

• Dom
  • Fresh Boarder
It would be a nice feature to be able to use webp selectors within smart lists, for now I run 2 libraries.
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Who's Online

We have 174 guests and 3 members online