Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: MySQL data

MySQL data 4 years 3 months ago #36674

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
So, I'm filing this under "General", as it's not a request or a bug, or a cry for help. Rather, I'm just curious about the structure that CR creates when using a MySQL database.

I've recently been looking into PHP and MySQL to develop websites, and I figured, since I already had an existing database, I'd try using it (I duplicated it, first, lest I break something).
I realized that, for each comic (entry) , there are only 3 colums: id, update_counter and data.
  • "id" is likely the unique identifier,
  • "update_counter" - no idea,
  • "data" looks like a simple copy of the xml data, correct?

DISCLAIMER: I am new at PHP and MySQL, so I may be asking relatively stupid questions. If so, I apologize.

My question is, in light of the benefits that using a MySQL database gives over a big-ass xml file, would it not be easier to have that "data" column divided into other columns, to make query handling easier? I assume cYo designed it this way in relation to how CR currently reads data, as any other way may have been counter-productive for him.

Are there any plans for this to change? I'm thinking about the potential of a html/PHP frontend to the database that would be really cool to have.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: MySQL data 4 years 3 months ago #36676

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Unfortunately, cYo has made it clear that he will not make comicrack use a properly defined relational database. I mentioned this when the mysql backend was made available a couple of versions ago.

His rationale for this decision is the query language already embedded into comicrack, and the major structure of the program at a deeper level, which has grown on top of it.

So probably the database will continue to serve as a dump for the xml.

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: MySQL data 4 years 3 months ago #36679

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
you could parse the XML in PHP as a workaround.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: MySQL data 4 years 3 months ago #36680

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
forkicks wrote:
His rationale for this decision is the query language already embedded into comicrack, and the major structure of the program at a deeper level, which has grown on top of it.
yeah, I figured something along those lines. Well, at least we have the data in MySQL!
pweasel wrote:
you could parse the XML in PHP as a workaround.
I guess that'll have to be one of my next steps then. Still playing around with basic database interaction, but I'll give that a shot in the near future.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Who's Online

We have 221 guests and 3 members online