Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Physical Backup

Physical Backup 3 years 8 months ago #37980

• mdmmsu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
A couple of days ago, a report was published that offered the results of some popular hard drive brands and their failure rates. Report here. This got me thinking about my library of comics and the fact that they are currently stored on a hard drive that I bought simply because it was on sale with zero regard for reliability or longevity. The simple fact is that it's not a matter of if your hard drive will fail, but when. I've checked a couple of sites for their pricing for cloud-based storage (Dropbox, Box.com, Amazon Glacier, etc.) but frankly that gets expensive and I'd much rather deal with the annoyance of updating physical media a few times a year than pay the rates they are charging for the yearly storage. I'm working out the details of the best way to create a physical backup of my files, leaning toward using DVD or Blu-ray, but I was curious what methods (if any) this community uses for backup.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Physical Backup 3 years 8 months ago #37982

• deutsch2382
  • Fresh Boarder
I just read that report myself and it has me bummed out. I have been thinking about this lately. I like your idea of possibly backing up onto DVDs, but I've spent considerable time getting rid of my physical media and it would seem like a step back. The plan I am forming in my head is to just spend some dough on a large capacity drive that only gets used to back up files as I need and to keep using the smaller drives as my active storage. That would at least lengthen the life of my main back up and eliminate the need/compulsion to buy a new, large hard drive every couple of years.

I'm also bummed out because most of my drives are Seagates. The future does not bode well...

Physical Backup 3 years 8 months ago #37988

• mdmmsu
  • Fresh Boarder
Not a bad idea at all. I may consider that as a backup for my backup. Or maybe the DVD's are the second level backup.

Physical Backup 3 years 8 months ago #37989

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, I have multiple backup's (all of them Seagate ironically).

1. Laptop hdd primary library (Seagate hybrid drive)
2. Seagate 1TB external (small one, USB 3.0)
3. Seagate 1.5TB external (Desktop pro)
4. Server (Seagate 2TB internal)
5. Server (Seagate 3TB internal)

Oh well.

Physical Backup 3 years 6 months ago #38614

• grafxone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you have the need (and the room) for it, I would recommend looking into unRAID. It's a free piece of software that allows you to have a few hard drives installed using one of them as a "parity" drive. Therefore, it is real-time backup of all files, and if a drive dies, you replace it with a new one and the files rebuild themselves automatically. I have been using this setup in my home server for years and am currently running with 18.5TB and growing...

unRAID:
lime-technology.com/unraid-server/

Also, I hear good things about FlexRAID too:
www.flexraid.com/

All that said, discs are super cheap now. And if you are only using one hard drive now (depending on size) cloud storage is also a possibility. I have certain files assigned to back up to the cloud each night using CRASHPLAN as well. All family photos and anything I cannot get again, gets backed-up "off-site" to CrashPlan in case of fire, flood or other disaster. It doesn't matter how many discs or hard drives I have "raided", they're ALL lost if the house burns down.

CrashPlan:
www.code42.com/crashplan/

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdmmsu
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Who's Online

We have 158 guests and 6 members online