Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Short introduction and a Thanks!

Short introduction and a Thanks! 3 years 9 months ago #38226

• ChinBo37
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all!

I just wanted to make a thread and say thank you to cYo and everyone else for this great program and all the help offered on these forums.

I am a long time reader of digital comics, and a long time user of the Android CBR app. Before I started on my tablet I did all my reading on my old 13 inch Asus converter tablet, and back in 2007 it really impressed people :D

I had downloaded the windows version last year, but I was a bit daunted while playing around with it and never really used it. Yesterday I decided that I was determined to organize my digital comics collection which at this point is spread over 3-4 different computers and external hard drives, and a couple hard drives at my parents house in another continent (ill get those later dont worry :) )

Anyways I finally took the plunge to really understand the power of ComicRack. I read all the manuals, tutorials, tips and tricks manuals, and LOTS of forum posts. I almost made a noob post about 10 times yesterday but I eventually figured everything out (that I need now) in about 6 hours lol. I decided to follow the excellent guide written by 600WPMPO regarding setting up Library Organizer. Even though I am not sure that I will use this exact method as I work to a completely organized collection, Figuring it all out and troubleshooting through it made me confident that even if I change my mind, I will be able to implement new changes in the future very easily.

One question as I end this post, I am not sure if there is a better way for the ComicVine Scraper to search or not, but sometimes it seems for very simple titles it just does not find them or cant find the exact series match and I have to manually go to the comicvine website and search for the title and paste in the results. Thank god this method works but I just wonder if I am doing something wrong.

For example it searches "Action Comics 454" and it pulls up about 6 or 8 results which are the new Action Comics series or some one shots or whatever, but it doesnt find the main series which is like 600+ issues. Is there a way to expand the automatic search criteria or adjust something in this case?

I ran into some other examples where the search is "Aliens vs Predator - Three World War", and it cant find anything but if I search the same thing on the ComicVine search on the webpage, it finds it right away.

Any tips for a noob?

Thanks again for all the hard work and support you give to your users!
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by ChinBo37. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Short introduction and a Thanks! 3 years 9 months ago #38231

• 50u5k3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thought I would chime in here. Sorry in advance for the "Wall-0'-Text" I find that if you give the Comic vine scraper too much info it usually can't find anything. For instance, if I want to scrape Aliens: Stalker. I search for Aliens. Then manually find stalker. I know it stinks but I haven't found a better way yet. This however may help you get through the process. I usually take my 0-days and will put them grouped into simple folders if they aren't already sorted. To help me simplify the file names so that comic vine can scape them easier I use a utility called Renamer. Once you get used to the rules it helps a lot. For instance if I have files named GFTP which is an abbreviation for (Grimm Fairy Tales Presents) I use rules to replace the abbreviation to the proper name. Then The scraper usually can find them easier. I also find stacking by folder helps break things into chunks I can handle. Hope that helps.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by 50u5k3.

Short introduction and a Thanks! 3 years 9 months ago #38233

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Hey guys.

Most of these search problems shouldn't be happening, but ComicVine is dealing with some problems on their end that are causing this to happen. For updates, follow this thread:

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...5-71?start=140#38215

Hopefully the ComicVine engineers will get things cleared up soon. When they do, you should notice that the scraper starts searching much more effectively.

Short introduction and a Thanks! 3 years 9 months ago #38236

• ChinBo37
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, yes i saw that thread a day after i posted this. I think this is the problem because some of these series its just too simple for the scraper not to find them (eg - Wonder Woman)

Thanks again to all on Comicrack!
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and 2 members online