Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39283

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I would like to discuss about the new Surface Pro 3 as a comic-reading device.

How would comic reading be on a 12" screen?

Will it be comfortable to read in bed?

How can we integrate our current ComicRack setup with it?
Available for pre-order on May 21 and hitting store shelves on June 20 is Microsoft’s brand new Surface Pro 3. The device features a 12-inch 2160×1440 display, significantly larger than the previous Surface Pro 2′s 10.6-inch screen; a new 3:2 aspect ratio; an improved stylus; an improved Type Cover; a slimmer, lighter build; and a different home button placement. The new Surface Pro 3 weighs only 1.76lbs (798 grams), compared to the Surface Pro 2′s weight of 2lbs (907 grams). It’s also substantially thinner, measuring 0.36 inches (9.1mm) thick compared to its predecessor’s .53 inches (13.5mm). Despite the slimming down, the device packs the newest 4th Generation Haswell processors from Intel, which are said to give up to 9 hours of battery life.

Attachment 21-05-201417-01-30.jpg not found

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39285

• Karvajalka
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
After using Surface Pro 2 little bit (and liking it alot), I think Pro 3 will probably be too big and heavy to be really comfortable for comic reading in bed or on the road. Although, resolution and size could enable one to use ComicRack in dual page mode. That would make it much more desirable...

While there is no easy way to synchronize part of your library between windows devices (at least as far as I know) offline reading with windows mobile device is not that convenient as it is in Android & IOS devices. If you can keep your machine online at home and just travel places where you have affordable internet connection, you can always overcome the limitation simply reading from shared library. Which would be great, because then you can read which ever comic you want.

For me, it looks like I will stay for awhile in Android world. But Android/IOS style light weight Modern UI app (with synch feature) would make 8" Lenovo Miix2 very interesting device for me...

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39286

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
10 inch are the best compromise with weight and size.
And the surface pros are even heavier than a regular tablet with ARM processors.

I wish 10 inchers would have the weight of the Nexus 7 (which is just a little too small for reading comics).

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39288

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
cYo wrote:
10 inch are the best compromise with weight and size.
And the surface pros are even heavier than a regular tablet with ARM processors.

I wish 10 inchers would have the weight of the Nexus 7 (which is just a little too small for reading comics).

Absolutely!!
And I wish my 10 inch was as fast as my Nexus 7!!!

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39290

• sykoone
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Personally I find it a bit too big to be comfortable for comic reading. I've tried a few different tablets, and I've settled on the Nexus 7 for my reading. While it is a little small, it's lightweight enough for reading on the road or lying in bed. The Surface Pro 3 might be good for many things, but given its sync limitations and size, it won't be for ComicRack.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39294

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
12 inch would be great for two-page reading but the weight would get tiring unless you were able to have it propped up.

I tried using an original Surface Pro for a while and just don't like the full CR interface for reading compared to the simplified Android version. Too many little UI items that were difficult to manipulate through touch. It got to freaking hot and heavy to be comfortable for long reading sessions.

A "metro style" touch focused reading app would help a lot - especially if it had full access to a shared database and comics network share so there wasn't the whole syncing shuffle.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39329

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
My Pro 1 is perfect, both for reading and for using CRW. I think the Pro 3 looks like a great device, but it'll be a bit too heavy and the aspect ratio is actually worse for comics. I mean, it's a great system but...

The only thing that could make my SP1 better would be some kind of "check out books from a main library" functionality as has been discussed before. Right now when I want to read not-at-home I have to share my library on the internet and go through it that way :(
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Shinrai.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39378

• SlapMaxwell
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm cautiously optimistic on the Pro 3. I got tired of the constrained space of tablets, and the Pro 2, with its aspect ration, is worse for comics (even though it's a bigger screen, it displays comics about the same size as the iPad). The Pro 3 is lighter than the Pro 1 and 2, slimmer, and with the new aspect ratio, the comic image will be bigger.

What I'm depressed by is how little support there is for Windows tablet in Comicrack. The actual act of reading a comic is pretty poor (in terms of the gesture support and the UI). I've mostly given up on it for my day to day reading, I use ComicJolt as my current comic reader. It's the best of the worst. Sigh.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 6 months ago #39482

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I wonder what Google Glass would be like for comic reading? very light at the least.

Surface Pro 3: Your thoughts 3 years 3 months ago #40363

• Klyph
  • Fresh Boarder
I've had a SP3 since launch day, and I can say not only is it the best tablet I've had, its the best digital comic reader also.

A little background. I've had iPads (mini and regular but not retina),HP touchpads and various different Android tablets. Before the SP3 my main reader was a Nook HD+ which was great because of its 3:2 screen, pretty much perfect for comics. In April I decided to buy a Galaxy Tab Pro 12 inch model. And I probably would have been satisfied with it if not for a MAJOR deal breaker. I keep my comics in a Seagate Wireless Plus and used a samba mounting app to make it appear as internal storage. That worked great with my nook but wasn't compatible with the version of Android on the Tab. So when the surface was announced with a 12 inch screen and a 3:2 aspect I was excited.

It honestly isn't as heavy as you would think. Sure its heavier than an iPad or a smaller tablet, but the weight distribution and build quality are top notch. The screen is wonderful. I use the app Cover for my comics (I've tried pretty much every reader and Cover is without a doubt the best).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds

Who's Online

We have 224 guests and 2 members online