Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39568

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
I'm done with comicrack .... I've lost another data unrecoverable database with countless neccessary amount of customized info, through no fault of my own, and its absolultely stupid that i can't choose to store my information as i want in my files with out using so trick. So I'm going to start coding my own Comic Library, and remove the limitation of comicrack since this is the only hinderance, I've actually already got the base code set up (As I was coding a Multi Media Manager, that included a comic manager.

However I will , maintain items like Data Manager as they will be compatible with The new Library Manager Utility I',m making (via direct use Python scripts).

I just can not stand having to lose/or repeated input info that i deem important
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by T3KN0Gh057. Reason: Please move to somewhere suitalbe, sorry for posting where i did frustrrastrion overrode better judgement
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39573

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
kudos for you for coding that, but i don't think that reinventing the wheel is in order here. setting up "shadow copies/System restore" of the XML or scheduling automatic backups of such file and/or mysql database is a breeze compared to your intent.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39577

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
pweasel wrote:
kudos for you for coding that, but i don't think that reinventing the wheel is in order here. setting up "shadow copies/System restore" of the XML or scheduling automatic backups of such file and/or mysql database is a breeze compared to your intent.

why should i have to go into such tactics is the question....
why shouldn't as be as easy as enterting my data once updatng the file and never having to worry about that data eveeer again unless i want to add some info to it... wy shouldn't i have that option....

I wouldn't revent the wheel of it wasn't broken and closed to editing.... i need things to work intuitively (And they should... there is no reason where a artificial layer of complexity should be neccessary.)

now i know cYo codes his ap for free, and while i would never call him stupid, if there is a reasonable reason to not have the ability to save all data to the comic file other than "cause i don't want to, and you can't make me." then it has yet to be clearly explained to me...... every other file that i enter metadata for can save all the metadata to the file. If i lose my Database for my media player, my music database can be restored from my files. Simple no muss,,, this is how it should be.

As it is now, when my databse is corrupted, i lose OVER HALF of the data that I've (painstakingly) entered in the application. Now i understand things like "last opened" or "read percentage" those are transient values. But things like tags that someone will use to locate a book of interest, These are things that should be allowed to save staticly.

and just for the record, my intent is give to simplicity to a process that should be simple and permentant. As long as ones files exists the metadata attached to them sholud exist. Some people don't even know what a shadow copy/volume is... and i don't think you should have to.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freMea

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39578

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
If you will save into the files the Custom values, too, I'm really interested in that program. Those are all relevant data for me.
(Although I think it would be great, if you could save the read percentage, too, it's a really important data, when I'm reading a long series, and I want to continue half a year later in a new database.)
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Mammut.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39579

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Mammut wrote:
If you will save into the files the Custom values, too, i'm really interested in that program. Those are all relevant data for me.
public Dictionary<string, string> CustomValues {get;set;}

first line i entered in the class library.

All values will be able to be saved. There will be options for deciding which optional info to save. Also details will be optional when importing

For instance. you can save "User Rating" To File and Database(Automatic)
When importig a file you can chose not to import the "User Rating" or yoou can import it from the file (if it exists)

The files will be compatible with comicrack (as far as comicrack will import info) yet the app itself will be more flexible (as far as savng data)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mammut

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39583

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 556
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
The files will be compatible with comicrack (as far as comicrack will import info) yet the app itself will be more flexible (as far as savng data)
As always, if you need beta testers, I'm here! :-)

All the best.. :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 week ago #39594

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
As always, if you need beta testers, I'm here! :-)

All the best.. :)

Yup you know, I'm going to hit you up for beta testing, especially for the iPad/Mac version, since I'm multiplatforming (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS) i'm just cementing the library code now which currently has a milestone of 2 weeks. Then I'll start delving into the GUI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Gantz

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 day ago #39724

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
I'm definitely interested in seeing the final results of your work here. As much as I love CR, various aspects have frustrated me over the years as well, so any app created to solve some of its problems is always welcome. Thus, you can count me in for Windows and Android testing. Keep up the hard work my friend. :)

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #39835

Hi,
I'm also interested in the final result..What, when it could be?
But thanks for all suggestions,,,and I know you can make it!Good luck :pinch:

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #39903

• gillberg1111
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I'm interested in testing Linux (Ubuntu specifically) and Mac to iPad.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 228 guests and 3 members online