Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40152

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
MediaMonkey was my inspiration in creating GUMM, so expect a strong similarity. Initially the app will only externally launch media. But eventually media viewing/playing options will be incorporated into the app. Playlist creation (including comics) will be available and playlists will be synch-able to mobile devices.

I also plan to create an external comic reader that incorporates comic metadata.

MediaMonkey is a great app that I have been using for the last 12 years, and as it has inmproved through each new release has slowly become the only app I use to catalog/manage my digital audio and video files. To have an app that can do the same just as well while including the ability to catalog/manage all my digital books as well (at the very least my digital comics), then I'll finally have the ultimate app. That would be a dream come true for someone as anal as myself when it comes to managing my digital collection.

I already expected that your app would initially launch with the ability to at least externally launch media which is more than fine with me. I don't really use MediaMonkey to natively play my video files...only my audio files. For the video files I currently use either VLC Player or my ASUS O!Play Media Player. Thus, this would just be seen as a extra bonus once you get the internal player functionality incorporated.

As much as I do love ComicRack, my library has just gotten too large for it to properly handle RAM memory as it should. So, as long as your app can manage the memory usage much better, allow for great metadata editing/storing within each cataloged file, and has the ability to create super manipulative smartlists (auto-playlists, whatever you want to call them) then I'm all in as a future tester for the Windows and Android versions! Plus the fact that it'll include the ability to create scripting add-ons and utilize adapted ComicRack scripts is simply the icing on the cake!

So take your time with it, and when it's finally ready I'm sure all of us will be eager to try it out. It never hurts to have more than one great digital comics management app!

Oh, and one final question. Are you making this open source, or will it be proprietary like cYo's great app?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40153

• Morgenstern72
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just my two cents about my setting since it is quite similar to that many use here (and this really surprises me):

Audio Files: Media Monkey Gold (organizing, syncing to Android and audio player)
Video: XBMC (before PVD) with MPC-Home Cinema as player (files reside locally)
Comics: CRW for organizing and scraping, CRA for reading

I strongly prefer to save all data in or with my files, which works perfectly with Media Monkey and XBMC
I do not like to rely on databases. They are great for working since the are quite fast, but t should always be only the "working copy" and the real data should reside with the file. I also use this with my pictures and Adobe Bridge. This makes moving the files so much easier!
Proud owner of ComicRack for Windows (Donation) and Android (Full Version)
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Morgenstern72.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40154

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Morgenstern72 wrote:
Just my two cents about my setting since it is quite similar to that many use here (and this really surprises me):

Audio Files: Media Monkey Gold (organizing, syncing to Android and audio player)

I strongly prefer to save all data in or with my files, which works perfectly with Media Monkey and XBMC
I do not like to rely on databases.

I personally like having my metadata in the files when possible and also in the database, yet stored in a database file format that can be viewed by another app. An export/import function within the app to backup and reload a database is also best.

I've been wanting to get into setting up XBMC for my computer and televisions fro years now yet whenever I got to the website, I always seem to be overwhelmed with teh vast data there and never know how to get started.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by oraclexview.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40156

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Morgenstern72 wrote:

I do not like to rely on databases. They are great for working since the are quite fast, but t should always be only the "working copy" and the real data should reside with the file. I also use this with my pictures and Adobe Bridge. This makes moving the files so much easier!

I prefer saving ALL my data with files as well. It makes for faster access and a cleaner, more reliable data (as long as the file exists the info exists) and for the most part the database functions of the app are only to manage/maintain changes and synchronize files/info. However, a few things that are external to the files themselves (like SeriesGroup Info, Series Info, and Series Volume Info) will be purely database, unless a standardized file hierarchy system is put in place so that this info has a reliable home in the comic file structure.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40158

• Morgenstern72
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
oraclexview wrote:
I've been wanting to get into setting up XBMC for my computer and televisions fro years now yet whenever I got to the website, I always seem to be overwhelmed with teh vast data there and never know how to get started.

Same reason I did not use it for a long time. That's what happened:
First I renamed all movies with Filebot.

That's my format for movies...
../{primarytitle}{' ('+net.filebot.WebServices.IMDb.scrape(imdbid, '''//SPAN[@class='title-extra']''').match('"(.+)"')+')'} ({y}){' ['+fn.replaceAll(/(?i)directors|theatrical|ultimate/,'$0 Cut').matchAll(/UNRATED|REMASTERED|EXTENDED|UNCUT|DIRECTORS.CUT|THEATRICAL.CUT|ULTIMATE.CUT|SPECIAL.EDITION/).join('][').upperInitial().lowerTrail()+']'} [{vf}] [{ac}{fn.match("-HD.MA.")+af}]/{primarytitle} ({y}) {vc}{" (CD$pi)"}{' '+lang}

...and for series
../{n}{' ("'+net.filebot.WebServices.IMDb.scrape(imdbid, '''//SPAN[@class='title-extra']''').match('"(.+)"')+'")'} ({y})/{"Season ${s.pad(2)}"}/{n} {s00e00} {t} [{vf}]{' '+lang}

This allows XBMC to find the right match much easier. Yes, this takes quite some time, I used a full weekend to do that. Believe me, it's worth it!
I also use several folders for an easy to navigate folder structure (if I do not want to use XBMC and/or for building smart lists): documentary (subfolders movies/TV-Shows/Videos), Stand Up Comedy (same subfolders), movies (with 12 subfolders for genres), music videos (no subfolder), TV Shows (no subfolder) and new (no subfolder...here are all new movies/series stored that were renamed with Filebot, so I can build a smartlist of "recently added").

Then I installed XBMC and watched it's magic going on. Just be sure that the files are on their final location since moving is not very funny. Since I use two OS (one for working/gaming and one for watching movies), I installed the app and DB to a data drive. I also used mklink to move the application data of XBMC to this data drive. Now I can update and manage it from my working OS and use it with beamer and limited keyboard. This is the mklink for Windows 7 you need if ou want to do that too:
mklink /J "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\" "d:\data\XBMC\userdata\XBMC"

Then you will get stuck at the theme since the preinstalled theme is quite limited. I use Aen Nox that allows me to customize the select "buttons" with smart lists(for example I want to see recently added movies and documentations in seperate tabs). I had to ask many question in the forum but if you understand how it works it's quite easy.

One of the most important things to do: when you are satisfied with the scraping and/or manually naming of files, export the database in single files per movie. This allows you to move file very easy. Just make sure to always first "clean up" the library when you move files so you do not end with duplicates.

I can guarantee you that it is most satisfying when you sit before our beamer/big TV with a remote/media keyboard, select movies in seconds, search for genres, years, actors and so on and see detailed info about them. TV Shows can also play their theme (it's a special plug in), a very nice feature. Just this week I had a movie night with a friend and she wanted to watch some classics. I just just filtered the movies with "1940-1975" and let her go through the amazing lists (of Aen Nox) and we had a perfect movie night:)

Hope this helps!
Proud owner of ComicRack for Windows (Donation) and Android (Full Version)
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Morgenstern72.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40165

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Just wanted to share with you my first run view giving you an ideas of the GUI's direction

Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, rmagere, Gantz

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 months ago #40166

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Keep at it buddy! You have all of our support and assistance where needed.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 month ago #40511

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Started Building the GUI for GTK# today as a test to see wther or not i could manage actually doing a native GUI for linux. It seems GTK# is qute unneccessarily (my own opinion) complex but it seems easy enough to learn (even i have to walk around the entire house to open the living room window with it).

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 1 month ago #40522

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
@T3KN0Gh057, glad to hear your still working on this.

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 weeks ago #40727

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
In the process now of creating the hardest part of the GUI, the ListView. My objective in this is pretty much to recreate the ListView from ComicRack since i really enjoy at least that much of it, hopefully though i can better optimize the cache for loading images.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere, Morgenstern72
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Who's Online

We have 184 guests and 10 members online