Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 2 weeks ago #40728

• Morgenstern72
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
In the process now of creating the hardest part of the GUI, the ListView. My objective in this is pretty much to recreate the ListView from ComicRack since i really enjoy at least that much of it, hopefully though i can better optimize the cache for loading images.

Looking forward to the first prototype. Bug reports are not even addressed here any more :(
Proud owner of ComicRack for Windows (Donation) and Android (Full Version)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41121

Wow, and here I was about to start writing one myself in C++ and QT. Looks like I'll need another project to practice on if this turns out half as good as the ambition I'm seeing here is making it out to be.

If you need a Linux tester I'm available.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41159

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
The comic editor dialog:

As it shows its very similar to ComicRack's yet there are a few additions (num. prefix and suffix for example for non numeric indices (stupid infinities & marvel numberings)) also added in Loan tracking in app (app will notify you when a comic you've loaned/borrowed out is due for return)

I anticipate 2 more months til a beta release (Comic Module Only - other Modules will follow as integrated) Working as fast as I can around my schedule and a family tragedy.
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, oraclexview, kenjio, ChrisR

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41160

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Looking very good so far, thanks for the updates!
Sorry to hear about your tragedy :(

Really looking forward to the beta :D :D :D
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41161

• Morgenstern72
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thx for the update, looking forward :)

I can test on Windows 7 64bit & Nexus 10 (Lollipop & Rooted)
Proud owner of ComicRack for Windows (Donation) and Android (Full Version)
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Morgenstern72.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41163

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm up for beta testing on Windows 7 x64, Linux Mint x64 and I've got a Nexus 7 tablet if you'll be working on an app or making connections to ComicRack CRA (not sure if you can).

I only ask one thing. Please add the ability for the user to add their own custom fields and sort by those fields. I have a huge chronology set up right now and the only way I can set it up is with a custom list. I want to be able to use a smart list sorted by the alternate numbers. Some books are split across multiple story lines (old Marvel multi-story comics) and I'd like to be able to add multiple alternate numbers. I'm not sure if you will consider this, but could you add it to your "to be considered" list? Also, exporting to a tablet with those lists in the proper order that was sorted on the Win/Lin/Mac client would be nice.

I had to skim the post since I'm going to work, but keep up the good work. It looks really good.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41164

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
I have to agree...great stuff you have here so far! It's looking promising. I will say that it would be great if you could incorporate a couple of squeedps' ideas. The ability to have as many custom fields as you'd like just the way ComicRack now does would be awesome, plus the ability to sort by any of these custom fields (at least be able to sort up to 4 or 5 of the custom fields) would be great. Also, a bit similar to squeedps' request would be the ability to handle multiple storylines, and their associated info, for one book. So basically make storylines a child table of the book table. So that way if a book has multiple storylines each with their own alternate storyline numbering, and their own creators (artists, writers, etc) your app could handle it more efficiently. Similar to the way it's done in comicbookdb.com. Lastly, I'm hoping that your database library is written in a SQLite type of format to help the app be able to handle a really large library and so this large library doesn't greatly hinder the performance of the application.

Keep up the hard work my friend. If need be, I'm also open to beta testing in a Windows 7 64-bit environment, as well as Android 4.0+ if need be.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41166

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
I flirted with a Table of contents (multiple storylines) styled metadata, if that's preferred over ComicRack compatibility I can go that route. There is a few other things I would venture to change as well as ComicRack metadata structure is extremely flat and could use some more flexibility

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41167

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This might sound horrible of me, but I wouldn't mind seeing the comicvine scraper plugin built in to the software. This might be a bit much to ask with everything else you're working on. Plugin compatibility would be just as good though.
Personally, I like the data that's pulled from CV but I feel that there is so much more that could be added, even if it has to be done by me by hand. That part I don't mind doing on my own. I'm sure there are plugins/scripts that could be created to also automate some processes as well.
Honestly, I'd be completely okay with having to recreate my entire database in your program. Importing my existing database would be nice since I'm up to 24,091 books, but as far as I'm concerned, if I have to put in a weekend's worth of work to get everything back together and in an order I like, I'd do it.
Personally, if I were you, I would do what feels the best. If it means more adding more flexible data fields over what's existing now in CR, then do it. I'm assuming that's what the Custom tab is for that I see in the one screen cap.
I'm not sure if anyone else cares, but you are missing the Day field for the release date. Sometimes people add that data in CV and it pulls through.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41169

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
squeedps wrote:
This might sound horrible of me, but I wouldn't mind seeing the comicvine scraper plugin built in to the software. This might be a bit much to ask with everything else you're working on. Plugin compatibility would be just as good though.

I don't want to sound lazy, but integrating ComicVine into the software would mean I would have to maintain it everytime there's a change. While i could do that there are people much more talented in dealing with the ComicVine API than me (to me their API is a mess, but that's my personal opinion). Not only that, there may be some other's that prefer comicdb or other sites. Not to mention there may be people who think to extend the software in directions i don't think of, so an open plugin structure seems like the best route to allow max flexibility in how people want to deal with their collections.

Personally, I like the data that's pulled from CV but I feel that there is so much more that could be added, even if it has to be done by me by hand. That part I don't mind doing on my own. I'm sure there are plugins/scripts that could be created to also automate some processes as well.
Honestly, I'd be completely okay with having to recreate my entire database in your program. Importing my existing database would be nice since I'm up to 24,091 books, but as far as I'm concerned, if I have to put in a weekend's worth of work to get everything back together and in an order I like, I'd do it.

I hope to make that unnecessary by creating a first run wizard that will import (and convert if i decide to go with a different Metadata structure) the ComicRack library (from the actual ComicRack database file). Then you can adjust without having to change ALL the metadata.
Personally, if I were you, I would do what feels the best. If it means more adding more flexible data fields over what's existing now in CR, then do it. I'm assuming that's what the Custom tab is for that I see in the one screen cap.

if i decide to go with a different metadata structure the filename will be different from ComicRack's (inside the comic archive file) so that those that want to maintain compatibility with comicRack can also keep it's metadata.
I'm not sure if anyone else cares, but you are missing the Day field for the release date. Sometimes people add that data in CV and it pulls through.

thanks for catching that there were a few other fields i left out as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: squeedps
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and one member online