Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 3 years 3 hours ago #41170

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
oraclexview wrote:
I will say that it would be great if you could incorporate a couple of squeedps' ideas. The ability to have as many custom fields as you'd like just the way ComicRack now does would be awesome, plus the ability to sort by any of these custom fields (at least be able to sort up to 4 or 5 of the custom fields) would be great.

You will be able to sort by any field that exists.Also I was a bit upset about the way ComicRack when comic rack grouped comics for example by Genre: it would group by the entire genre string rather than each genre. I know why it was done that way (listview can be pretty inflexible on how it does grouping) but have created my own solution for grouping individual genres.

Also, a bit similar to squeedps' request would be the ability to handle multiple storylines, and their associated info, for one book. So basically make storylines a child table of the book table. So that way if a book has multiple storylines each with their own alternate storyline numbering, and their own creators (artists, writers, etc) your app could handle it more efficiently. Similar to the way it's done in comicbookdb.com.

Considering it heavily. it means an incompatibility with ComicRack, but I also think the metadata needs more flexibility and expansion.

Lastly, I'm hoping that your database library is written in a SQLite type of format to help the app be able to handle a really large library and so this large library doesn't greatly hinder the performance of the application.

the database is SQLite embedded, so you get your wish!
Last Edit: 3 years 3 hours ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: squeedps

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41174

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
if i decide to go with a different metadata structure the filename will be different from ComicRack's (inside the comic archive file) so that those that want to maintain compatibility with comicRack can also keep it's metadata.

I'm sure going this route would be fine with everyone who uses the data in that method. The metadata file is really small and insignificant in the overall file size.

Also, I know you mentioned doing file conversion for export. The Export to CBZ format. Will you be adding exporting images to WebP? It's the format I use to save space. Otherwise, I would have filled up my storage drive a long time ago. It was one of those things I liked that was added to CR.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41175

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hi, did I say I'would also love to beta test the software when available, please?????

My two cents on metadata fields: I rename all my comics, but keep the original filename in the notes field, so maybe an specific field for "original filename"... After different tries to add info like scanner, 'noads' or 'c2c' of 'digital' or 'cover-only', etc into the metadata, I finally thougth that preserving the original filename would be the easiest, cleanest way to keep all that info :P

Thanks for your effort!

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41177

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
One more thing for you to consider...

Comics are mostly, as a standard, following comicvine, usually named as "Series vYear", rather than "Series vVolume"... This was ok until a few years ago in which, for instance, you would have Series (miniseries), of say 4 issues in January, and a new series/miniseries in, say, June of the same year... All the scheme broken!!!!!!! I am still struggling with this, and CVS also has problems with this, if I recall correctly...

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41179

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
tl;dr :)

Can someone explain the point of this this to me except being cross platform?

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41370

• marlowe310
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Not sure if this project is still under active development -- but if it is, I'd LOVE to beta test as well! I run:

-Win 7
-OSX 10.9 + 10.2
-Android (4.4 + 5.0)

So I'd be down to try out any and all of those platforms!

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 11 months ago #41372

• burnshroom
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
cYo wrote:
tl;dr :)

Can someone explain the point of this this to me except being cross platform?

I think this was the start of this...
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
why shouldn't as be as easy as enterting my data once updatng the file and never having to worry about that data eveeer again unless i want to add some info to it... wy shouldn't i have that option....

every other file that i enter metadata for can save all the metadata to the file. If i lose my Database for my media player, my music database can be restored from my files. Simple no muss,,, this is how it should be.

As it is now, when my databse is corrupted, i lose OVER HALF of the data that I've (painstakingly) entered in the application. Now i understand things like "last opened" or "read percentage" those are transient values. But things like tags that someone will use to locate a book of interest, These are things that should be allowed to save staticly.

and just for the record, my intent is give to simplicity to a process that should be simple and permentant. As long as ones files exists the metadata attached to them sholud exist. Some people don't even know what a shadow copy/volume is... and i don't think you should have to.

Basically the ability to store metadata in the file itself, which I believe we do but limited according to the post above.

So the initial intent was to give that ability. It may have grown in intent from there.

I wouldn't mind a second application if for no other reason that two are better than one but also features that might not be in CR may end up there or vice/versa that CR does other things well that the second application won't be able to do.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by burnshroom.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41528

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
I figured I'd follow up on this post since it's been a month.

T3KN0Gh057, how's this project going? Have you started a project page on one of the open-source sites?

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 10 months ago #41535

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Yep. Have a open source project (googlecode) page currently not updated because I'm not very fluent with the use of svn or git and I have some files I deleted that have screwed up the commit process. But a windows and windows 8 (modern ui) tech demo will be available mid to end of february just finishing up the scripting api and making a quick-mod of cnback's comicvine scraper.

Only reason I went silent for a while was because I got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 for Christmas and as much as I hate win8 on a desktop computer I have to admit that for tablet it kinda rocks (as long as you can find the apps to handle what you need... The windows store is a mess.) So I've started a Modern UI build. I must say the Modern UI was MADE for this kinda app!
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 9 months ago #41536

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
Holy shitsnacks, those surface pros are not cheap. :(
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and 5 members online