General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 8 months ago #41537

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
khaoohs wrote:
Holy shitsnacks, those surface pros are not cheap. :(

No they aren't, but my nephew has a Nextbook 8 Windows 8.1 tablet running a quad core 1.83Ghz Atom (x86) processor from Walmart.com for $129 (He's the one that bought me the Surface Pro for Christmas) and that runs almost as well as the surface pro (sans keyboard).

You can also get x86 windows tablets for as low as $89, that are virtual powerhouses. Not to mention Windows Phone 8 (and believe me i only mention it lightly) on the low.

Microsoft finally made a OS I actually like for its purpose, now if they could just separate the tablet OS from the Desktop OS it would be perfect.Plus they re coming down of their high horses and basically giving away windows 8.1 for tablets.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 7 months ago #41859

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
Yep. Have a open source project (googlecode) page currently not updated because I'm not very fluent with the use of svn or git and I have some files I deleted that have screwed up the commit process. But a windows and windows 8 (modern ui) tech demo will be available mid to end of february just finishing up the scripting api and making a quick-mod of cnback's comicvine scraper.

Only reason I went silent for a while was because I got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 for Christmas and as much as I hate win8 on a desktop computer I have to admit that for tablet it kinda rocks (as long as you can find the apps to handle what you need... The windows store is a mess.) So I've started a Modern UI build. I must say the Modern UI was MADE for this kinda app!

Hey, T3KN0Gh057, any update on this?

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 7 months ago #41880

• MilkmanWes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I know this is pretty far along as a project, but I wanted to throw a use case out. The move to single library accessed and managed from any device in the house is what my family is doing, Looking at Plex as an example - a single machine in the house that any web browser can interact with or android apps can be used as a front end. I really want that for comics (and books).

Now the challenge is that one comic db/repository being used by multiple family members. If my wife and son and I are all asynchronously reading through Adventures of A Guy In Tights together then using the read/unread on a single book only tells us if *one* of us read it, not if *I* read it.

Tried shared db and files as well as shared files but separate db and never very happy with any of them. A (web based) solution that has all the info and tracking of CR but that we could all access individually from the family media pc/storage would be so cool. That is sort of the core of my frustration at the moment, no real solution that works for a family, just for an individual.

We use a Linux - headless Ubuntu server and moving to using VMs for some things like Plex - for everything to live on and and android phones and tablets and a couple of Win PCs and laptops around the house.

I will test anything you got in this environment and have some background in QA and do not mind repetitive testing.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43764

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok to update everyone. I've had a stroke a while back and had to re-learn most my coding so yeah, I'm basically starting from scratch again. But still not giving up on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, 600WPMPO, rmagere, romsnesrom

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43765

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Wow. Hope your recovery is going well :)
Still looking forward to seeing the results of your work!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43767

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
Ok to update everyone. I've had a stroke a while back and had to re-learn most my coding so yeah, I'm basically starting from scratch again. But still not giving up on this.

Wow! I really hope you are doing better...!

Thanks for the heads up!

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43775

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
#respect :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43820

• freMea
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Best topic ever!

I'm sad to hear about the stoke. But I assume that if you still can code after that, your brain has a good recovery capacity. What a remarkable experience it must be for you. If you post news about you and projects somewhere (blog, facebook, etc.), please feel free to share.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #43821

• freMea
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
cYo wrote:
Can someone explain the point of this this to me except being cross platform?

Well, if it's a serious question, it seems you didn't even bother to read this topic.

Every single post here explain what we users are missing in CR. Things that apparently will never be part of CR. Therefore it's understandable and reasonable that users expect new alternative to fill their needs and unconsidered requests. See this post in first page that summarize the frustration that led a new project start.

CR is currently the best program to manage and organize library. Plugins support is a key feature that add a lot with smart lists and all other available amazing list views. With no doubt CR is an amazing piece of work. I think I can say we are all grateful for it.

But WHY users can not choose which metadata to store in cbz files? Why can all metadata that CR already support in its database not be stored within ComicInfo.xml if users experienced that it's the best way to keep them safe and consistent?

It is the major point and a big interrogation that make me astonished because it's a major request that stayed unconsidered whereas you proved you have the skills to make almost everything real and above all, it's not like coding a totally new feature but just complete what it already exists. I will be glad to read an answer from you about it here, it's the best place.

Users just want more flexibility so the tool adapt to their needs and not the opposite. Every idea from every user in this topic is very interesting and valuable and would make CR so much less frustrating regarding metadata management/backup/restore. For instance, perezmu suggested here to add a field to store original filename and gave one scenario proving its usefulness.

Personally, I'd like read/unread state, community and user rating, custom fields be stored in ComicInfo.xml too. I can not. :( Only alternative is to create a script to save that in notes field. Not as natural than if it was built-in. Could a script auto detect those states then trigger the built-in orange state indicator? I don't know but if it is confirmed it can and if cYo confirm that he definitely won't built-in it to a future update, I think I would try to make a such script.

Best regards
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by freMea.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #44135

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Changes I've made so far to the handling of comics.
*separate xml saved in the cbz file (meta.xml) on save.
*all info loadable from ComicInfo.xml if meta.xml is not found
*ALL fields are saved in the meta.xml , unless otherwise specified except file path .
*Added Original Filename field (sets itself the first time a file is linked to the comic info. If original filename field is already set no change is made) 
*A comic can have more than one title (good for anthologies and comics with extra stories.)
     Titles within the comics can contain separate series groups if necessary (optional: if all titles contained in the comic belong to the same 
     Series Group just use the comic's Series Group rather than the title),  Each title also has a optional separate plot, comment, characters, etc.

GUI is on hold until i finish sorting out comic handling. There is ALOT of features i want to include that are missing from comicrack.... I'm sure you all can think of more so keep the ideas coming.

Edit: And I can use a hand in setting up and understanding how to use git. Also could use some programmers (C# or any dotNET language) GUI once the comic library is complete.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and 7 members online