Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44139

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Those look like awesome additions right there. Especially the fact that one book can have multiple nested child stories and related data like characters and story arcs.
The only other big limitation of ComicRack thus far is the fact that the database is based on XML instead of something more memory friendly like SQLite.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44140

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
Edit: And I can use a hand in setting up and understanding how to use git.
I'm a visual learner so the third diagram on this page helped a lot in sorting out which commands to use when.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44164

• MilkmanWes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Understanding Git Conceptually

and

Github Bootcamp Docs

Both really good. If you want help with the repo I am glad to get with you on Skype or someting. Its free and we can run a couple hello world projects in it to get you comfortable before setting an initial repo for the project up.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44166

• MilkmanWes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
fieldhouse wrote:
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
I'm a visual learner so the third diagram on this page helped a lot in sorting out which commands to use when.

All the diagrams there are fantastic to get an idea of the flow of a project and that cheat sheet is awesome.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44169

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
fieldhouse wrote:
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
MilkmanWes wrote:
Understanding Git Conceptually

and

Github Bootcamp Docs

Both really good. If you want help with the repo I am glad to get with you on Skype or something. Its free and we can run a couple hello world projects in it to get you comfortable before setting an initial repo for the project up.

Thanks for the literature its very helpful, but alot to take in. It'll take me at least a week to feel comfortable enough to get started with git.

Meanwhile here's a few more changes I've made to the comic book handling:
* Separated Issue identifier into 4 different Properties: IssuePrefix, IssueNumber, IssueSuffix, and Issue (ReadOnly: displays Prefix Number and Suffix)
    this should help script writers handle issues in a logical manner without worrying about the suffix and prefix info that insane comic companies use i.e Spider-man #1AU. 
    Also useful for identifying and/or separating different issue covers if you prefer to have separate issues for each cover.
*Each Title can specify page numbers for first and last pages (once the GUI is done Titles within comics can be handled as if they were individual comics. 
    This means displaying the first page of the title or marking the title as read, or launching the reader right from the gui to the initial page.
*Due to the complexity of the new metadata format, Cross-compatibility with ComicRack will be limited, 
    The new app will be able to import all of ComicInfo.xml, but will only write to it once a meta.xml is present in the cbz file,
    The ComicInfo.xml will be written to (within its limitations) but will only be read when a meta.xml does not exist. 
    So ComicRack will still be able to read info from the ComicInfo.xml, written by my app, but any info written to the ComicInfo.xml from ComicRack will not be read/imported my app once meta.xml exists..
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, rmagere, squeedps

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44170

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I just want to make a suggestion on some metadata that I think should have an optional inclusion/exclusion. I'm planning on having two databases on two different profiles on the same computer and I'd like to be able to exclude the Read Status as part of the data that's written in to the book itself. The reason for that is so that my girlfriend can log in to her profile on the computer and open the app and be able to read the books she wants to read without having to see that I already read them because the app is picking up data from the meta.xml that it's been read. Maybe a check box in the Options that excludes that data from the meta.xml but stored in the database on a per profile basis. If the check box isn't checked than your app includes the read status in the meta.xml.

Also, I love that you are making the books divisible when there are multiple stories. Awesome work on that. Can't wait to play around with your app and get that set up. There have a been a bunch of books with 4-5 page back end stories, like the recent Gwenpool inclusion in one of the new Marvel titles. I'd like to be able to include that story in a "Deadpool" list but with comicrack wouldn't be able to say that the story starts on page X and give the title.

Thanks. Hope your recovery is going as well as you expect it to.

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44178

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
squeedps wrote:
I just want to make a suggestion on some metadata that I think should have an optional inclusion/exclusion. I'm planning on having two databases on two different profiles on the same computer and I'd like to be able to exclude the Read Status as part of the data that's written in to the book itself. The reason for that is so that my girlfriend can log in to her profile on the computer and open the app and be able to read the books she wants to read without having to see that I already read them because the app is picking up data from the meta.xml that it's been read. Maybe a check box in the Options that excludes that data from the meta.xml but stored in the database on a per profile basis. If the check box isn't checked than your app includes the read status in the meta.xml..
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
*ALL fields are saved in the meta.xml , unless otherwise specified except file path ..

You will be able to configure what gets saved in the meta.xml
The following user(s) said Thank You: squeedps

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44179

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Awesome

I simply cannot do it anymore 2 years 3 weeks ago #44184

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I have only been casually watching this thread because I haven’t really had a problem with the metadata issue since I implemented a proper SQL/NAS solution for my database and have had no failures for over two years.

However my interest was suddenly piqued by the prospect of dealing with individual titles within an issue. Could you elaborate on how you are implementing this and how you perceive it as working? Are you seeing this as a way of dealing with reading lists that space individual stories across the list? Will it be able to deal with those weird instances where different stories belong to different reading lists?

Also, as a side issue, are you considering the ability to link comics from within the database? i.e. allow a linked list of pointers to other books as branching points and lead in issues

Either way I am now very curious.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by jkthemac.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #44355

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
I would love an ability to force a rewrite of ComicInfo.xml/meta.xml, regardless if the database thinks that the info has not changed or is already in these files.
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds

Who's Online

We have 187 guests and 2 members online