Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 11 months ago #44359

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
johnson_pw wrote:
I would love an ability to force a rewrite of ComicInfo.xml/meta.xml, regardless if the database thinks that the info has not changed or is already in these files.
If you haven't changed any metadata info in the application database, what would be the point of having the application update the database metadata? This seems to defeat the whole point of an application that tracks and updates themetadata info in your files.
I mean, if you want to update the metadata outside of the application tracking it, you can already do that by simply manually changing the archive file's internal XML metadata file.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44368

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
johnson_pw wrote:
I would love an ability to force a rewrite of ComicInfo.xml/meta.xml, regardless if the database thinks that the info has not changed or is already in these files.
If you haven't changed any metadata info in the application database, what would be the point of having the application update the database metadata? This seems to defeat the whole point of an application that tracks and updates themetadata info in your files.
I mean, if you want to update the metadata outside of the application tracking it, you can already do that by simply manually changing the archive file's internal XML metadata file.
Maybe I worded this poorly? I have several hundred comics that have info scrapped from comic vine that is not reflected in their xml files. I'd like the ability to attempt to rewrite these.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44369

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
johnson_pw wrote:
oraclexview wrote:
johnson_pw wrote:
Maybe I worded this poorly? I have several hundred comics that have info scrapped from comic vine that is not reflected in their xml files. I'd like the ability to attempt to rewrite these.
Is it that the info not being written won't be written? There is some metadata that is explicitly prevented from being written. I believe any custom fields won't be written. Also, make sure the books in question are in CBZ and not CBR format. ComicRack only writes CBZ files (and maybe some other less-popular formats).

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44371

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
boshuda wrote:
Is it that the info not being written won't be written? There is some metadata that is explicitly prevented from being written. I believe any custom fields won't be written. Also, make sure the books in question are in CBZ and not CBR format. ComicRack only writes CBZ files (and maybe some other less-popular formats).
All mine are stored as CBZ. No data is written (Title/Series/Number). For some of the files the xml isn't even created.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44372

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
johnson_pw wrote:
boshuda wrote:
All mine are stored as CBZ. No data is written (Title/Series/Number). For some of the files the xml isn't even created.
I'm assuming you already went into options and enabled writing to book files?
Under Edit->Preferences

Are the files Read Only and does ComicRack have permission to access them?

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44374

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
Allow writing is checked. I disabled automatic writing in case I was having permissions issues so I can double check read-only status before I trigger writing, but they're all writable and CR has admin privileges.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 10 months ago #44375

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
johnson_pw wrote:
Allow writing is checked. I disabled automatic writing in case I was having permissions issues so I can double check read-only status before I trigger writing, but they're all writable and CR has admin privileges.

Sounds like you might have found a bug. I think I remember a change to the frequency of writing out that metadata with the latest release, so there's a better than average chance there's a bug there.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 8 months ago #45160

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
jkthemac wrote:
I have only been casually watching this thread because I haven’t really had a problem with the metadata issue since I implemented a proper SQL/NAS solution for my database and have had no failures for over two years.

However my interest was suddenly piqued by the prospect of dealing with individual titles within an issue. Could you elaborate on how you are implementing this and how you perceive it as working? Are you seeing this as a way of dealing with reading lists that space individual stories across the list? Will it be able to deal with those weird instances where different stories belong to different reading lists?

Also, as a side issue, are you considering the ability to link comics from within the database? i.e. allow a linked list of pointers to other books as branching points and lead in issues

Either way I am now very curious.
<title>
      <name>A Time To Remember</name>
     <plot>Some descriptive text to describe the story</plot>
     <writer>Writers name</writer>
     etc...
</title>
<title>
      <name>Some other title</name>
      <plot></plot>
      etc...
</title>

in GUI each title will have its own tab

ComicRack's info while initially useable is amazingly flat and inflexible, every field is a shallow entity (no child elements)
i understand that this makes it much easier to deal with, but it also makes it less able to deal with comics that contain more depth, like multiple storylines or arcs.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 8 months ago #45161

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This is awesome. I'm really excited to give your program a try. Just let me know whenever you want to have testing done. With 30k+ comics, I can do some serious testing for you.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 8 months ago #45165

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
squeedps wrote:
This is awesome. I'm really excited to give your program a try. Just let me know whenever you want to have testing done. With 30k+ comics, I can do some serious testing for you.

Considering i'm working on this alone and its turned out to be a project bigger than expected, and my coding skills at the moment are diminished its going to be a while before a useable program is available. I haven't a clue right now how I'm going to do the listview, cause right now the grouping and sorting options are beyond me (want to do it like comickrack, but so far the two options for that i see (WPF or HTML) aren't anything i really want to use) so I'm slowly creating my own ListView control.
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Who's Online

We have 303 guests and 2 members online