Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: I simply cannot do it anymore

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 7 months ago #45261

• El Guapo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
Considering i'm working on this alone and its turned out to be a project bigger than expected.

Why not open source then?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnson_pw

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45364

• GeoRW
  • Fresh Boarder
squeedps wrote:
This is awesome. I'm really excited to give your program a try. Just let me know whenever you want to have testing done. With 30k+ comics, I can do some serious testing for you.

30k+ comics? That's huge. Can you try ACBF Viewer? It can read Comicrack XML file, so should not be a problem importing those comics into its library.
I have 357 books there (I always create larger files with several comics inside, like TPBs, creating table of contents there). I'm on linux with SSD disk, so no issues so far. My library disk size is 12.76 MB (0.76 for metadata, 12 MB for covers).
I'm interested how the library (sorting, filtering, library info - charts creation) would cope with 1000 or 5000 or more.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45370

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I gave ACBF a try for you on a large scale and I couldn't recommend it in a Windows environment. However, I don't have a Linux machine to test it nor will I any time in the near future. Since compiling software in Linux is very different than running an executable in Windows, ACBF very well may be able to handle large scale libraries in Linux but it fails in Windows. It locked up and stopped processing my library very early in the process. Despite having a machine with a large amount of RAM and very pushed to its limits, the software crapped out easily. I think part of this is due to it being built on Python 2.7 and not Py 3.x. It could also be how it's compiled, I don't entirely know. I couldn't drag an error code out of it to find out.
It's also an extremely slim viewer. For my tastes, I don't care about a viewer, just a library organizer. Everyone is different though. The metadata ACBF is larger but it also looks like it doesn't deal with custom data, at least none that I could find. It might be in the editor, but since the viewer crashed on me several times, I gave up.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45371

• GeoRW
  • Fresh Boarder
squeedps wrote:
I gave ACBF a try for you on a large scale and I couldn't recommend it in a Windows environment. However, I don't have a Linux machine to test it nor will I any time in the near future. Since compiling software in Linux is very different than running an executable in Windows, ACBF very well may be able to handle large scale libraries in Linux but it fails in Windows. It locked up and stopped processing my library very early in the process. Despite having a machine with a large amount of RAM and very pushed to its limits, the software crapped out easily. I think part of this is due to it being built on Python 2.7 and not Py 3.x. It could also be how it's compiled, I don't entirely know. I couldn't drag an error code out of it to find out.
It's also an extremely slim viewer. For my tastes, I don't care about a viewer, just a library organizer. Everyone is different though. The metadata ACBF is larger but it also looks like it doesn't deal with custom data, at least none that I could find. It might be in the editor, but since the viewer crashed on me several times, I gave up.

How many comics did you manage to import before starting to have issues? Or did you try all 30k at once? I will not hit like 1000 anytime soon as I rather store all as large CBZ files, so would be interested if you see any issues with 1000, 3000 or 5000. And how it would cope with calculating library statistics, drawing charts, when you hit the library info icon.
Library itself just extracts attributes stored in comic books *.acbf files, besides that it has a few attributes like personal book rating (1 to 5 starts) or percentage of book read.
And yes ACBF has no custom attributes, it's a strict XML format. But it has many cool features like translation layers, definition of panels for frame by frame viewing or table of contents for large files.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by GeoRW.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45375

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
GeoRW wrote:
How many comics did you manage to import before starting to have issues? Or did you try all 30k at once? I will not hit like 1000 anytime soon as I rather store all as large CBZ files, so would be interested if you see any issues with 1000, 3000 or 5000. And how it would cope with calculating library statistics, drawing charts, when you hit the library info icon.
Library itself just extracts attributes stored in comic books *.acbf files, besides that it has a few attributes like personal book rating (1 to 5 starts) or percentage of book read.
And yes ACBF has no custom attributes, it's a strict XML format. But it has many cool features like translation layers, definition of panels for frame by frame viewing or table of contents for large files.
The ComicRack database is strict XML as well. The real problem is using the XML format for storing a database because the way XML files work, in order to access one small section of the database the whole darn database has to 1st be loaded into memory. Thus the larger the database the worse off you are. The database structure for ComicRack should be just like the structure that MediaMonkey uses. You can have over 100,000 records in its database and the app won't flinch. In addition a user has made a solid plug-in that allows you to use standard SQL commands to query and edit the records from directly within the app so you can do global updates much easier.
So as much as I love ComicRack I honestly believe that it was a major short sight basing the database structure on the XML format instead of say SQLite..a true database format. XML is better suited as a file structure, not a database structure. So the XML file that gets stored inside of the comic file itself is great. Yet the app should be optimized to work with a true database structure. ComicRack was updated to work with a SQLite database, yet the app has yet to be optimized for it. It's still optimized to work with a XML database structure.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45376

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
It got through maybe 20 of the 30k and hung up on a Peanuts TPB. I'm sure it has some interesting features and I'm willing to try it again after I get my library better organized. Something I'm working on right now with the plugins we have on the site. Overall, this is one of those issues I see with programs like ACBF. It doesn't have the in depth functionality to automate organization. It's all well and good to have the flexible metadata, but, until someone is willing to house all that data somewhere (and comicvine won't do it) then it's a moot point. You'd be making the data entirely for yourself and the work would be all on you. The bigger the library, the more data is required. If, for instance, the data could be housed somewhere and someone wanted to do the work to upload data for each panel in a book I would be all on board for doing just that. Hell, I'd help out. If we had a way of making a better comicvine, it'd be great.

I simply cannot do it anymore 1 year 6 months ago #45377

• GeoRW
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm building my library by myself. It's lot of work, but I like to do it, it's part of collecting :-) Regarding panel definitions, for my favourite comics I'm creating it by myself as I like reading it frame by frame. I wouldn't mind sharing it either, but legality of it is questionable as you need to base it on real image files/filenames.
There are some free (Creative Commons) ACBF comics which have panel definitions (hosted here) + you can also find something on torrents (probably not legal even if you bought those books yourself as those panel definitions were extracted from books created by publisher).
In Comixology, if you buy comic from some publisher, you can download CBZ file, but it does not have panel definitions there. I wish they would provide that as well, ideally they could include all metadata there :-)

I simply cannot do it anymore 8 months 1 week ago #47139

• Herjar
  • Fresh Boarder
Is this still being worked on?

I simply cannot do it anymore 8 months 1 week ago #47141

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Yes, albeit slowly. Having to learn Java GUI development since native Linux toolkits aren't as sensible and intuitive as Windows (I can't believe I'm complimenting Windows on anything).

I simply cannot do it anymore 8 months 1 week ago #47144

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Dude, check out Open QT. The QT toolkit is free for open source and is cross-platform to Linux, Windows, and Mac with tools for Android and iPhone development. There are hooks for database development, touch screens, and general UI. It's actually pretty slick and performance should be acceptable. There's also a couple of Python wrappers for it, if you're more comfortable with Python than C++.
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Who's Online

We have 279 guests and 5 members online