Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 4 weeks ago #40917

• sensei6375
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
So an idea was brought up in the Organizer thread by @rmagere about creating some kind of wiki for rules to be placed. To get it in front of more eyes and make it not seem like it is @600wpmpo 's responsibility I wanted to create a new post for ideas. Here is my original post about it. I have a few more thoughts on the subject wanted to see others thoughts on it to see if I could flesh out my ideas. So let the brainstorming begin!

1. Someone could host a dropbox(or the like) for everyone to upload their datafiles to.This would allow for quick saving and access of multiple rule sets to look at. The con would be having to wade through and deleting rules you don't want. It would probably be good for people just starting that are new to ComicRack.
2. Or there could be a google docs spreadsheet. Column A could be the series name(if not specific to a series could be left blank or none),B could be the name of the rule, column C could be the text of the rule and column D could be a comment field for more info/what the rule is used for. You could sort Column A alphabetically for all rules involved with a certain series that way people could just add at the bottom and not worry about organization. There would bound to be duplicates but that shouldn't matter to much. Or you could just Ctrl+F to search for keywords.
3. Or you could do the website wikia route. Could be sorted/linked multiple ways - have a webpage for each series/volume with a list of user added rules, specific users could have their own page with a list of rules, could have categories for rulesets with tag words linking to them.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by sensei6375. Reason: added text
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 4 weeks ago #40918

• sykoone
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I like the second and third options. Perhaps a mixture of the two. I think a dropbox link would end up being to clunky for those that only wanted a small section of the ruleset.

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 4 weeks ago #40920

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I feel the wikia option would be the best.

Another choice could be a google site (like we have for the ComicRack Manual).
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 4 weeks ago #40922

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I was originally thinking something similar to what is done for joint coding (not sure whether google project would be suitable).
So that there is (a) version control to ensure changes can be logged back (b) ability to modify little bits by everyone rather than needing a central owner (c) ability to fork (d) ability to check out the latest version.

Personally I have never used any coding site as above - I was hoping some of our more expert code could confirm whether my assumptions above are correct and/or in the case of simple txt management (which is what the datamanager rule set is) it's too much complexity for little gain.

Of the ideas suggested by Sensei I also believe that the wiki is closest to what I was originally thinking.
However I can see that a google sheet well thought out could possibly work as well - especially as I can imagine there might be an easy way to export only what you are interested in (e.g. a column is a checkmark and on a separate sheet only the checkmarked rows are copied through formulas and that's what you use to import in comicrack)
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by rmagere.

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 4 weeks ago #40926

• sensei6375
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Here are a few questions I have had for awhile-

How many total rules do you(everybody) have?

Do you try to make rules fit as many series as possible to have as few rules as possible? Or do you prefer more exact rules - one for each series, one for each custom data etc?

How do you sort your rules? Company, series alpha, some other way?

So here is a Google Sheets page. Suggestions welcome on what to add/change etc. You can filter each column series name, creator, company. I don't know of too many other columns that could be filterable as each call in other columns like rule name would be unique text. You can sort each column a-z if filtering doesn't give you the info you need. And CTRL+F always works to find specific keywords.

Things to worry/think about:

Who could edit - keep myself the owner but could add people to be able to edit. I would need emails though to add to the list. More work for me, less easily accessible, people would have to create a throwaway email or trust with email. Could keep it to shareable link. More easily accessible to anyone basically using this forum. Once it is more defined could create a more focused post, maybe/hopefully have it stickied for more prominence. If the Library Organizer of CR manual gets updated it could possibly be added. Or it could be opened to the public totally. Even more accessible but more easily fucked with.

What to do about edits - obviously anyone who can add to the file can edit others entries. So what to do if someone does this without permission.

I looked briefly into the Wikia and it seems too much work for something like this. At least to me, if someone has the drive to do it I look forward to it.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by sensei6375. Reason: more info

Datamanager Ruleset repository ideas/suggestions 3 years 3 weeks ago #40955

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi - I have a look at the excel file and for some reason it feels more cumbersome than I would have liked.
It's a feeling not a fact. I have been having a look at wikis but have not yet found a solution I like.

Need to do a bit more work/put more thought into it.

Regarding your questions:
  • How many total rules do you(everybody) have? I have the original dataset adjusted for the errors presented.
  • How do you sort your rules? Company, series alpha, some other way? For me comics are split into Italian and Not-Italian. Italian I always sort by hand - Not-Italian as long as they are sufficiently rational I am happy with majority rule (i.e. so far I was happy with Publisher\Series, however I have too many directories now and felt then need for something better). Once I spent more time with the current rules I might consider modifying them. However I do like the grouping that 600WPMPO has originally come up with (e.g. Justice League, Renegades, etc)

Actually: 3 years 2 weeks ago #41019

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
I was thinking of incorporating a "Ruleset Collection" downloader into the GUI. after i can get 2.0 up.

Then have submissions to the googlecode page for the collections.

But, to add to the discussion. I usually order my rules like so
*Global Pre-Run Rules (Rules that need to run on all books, for instance, publisher/imprint corrections)
*Publisher
****SeriesGroup
********Series
*Global Post-Run Rules (Rules that need to run after everything is finished, for instance, Title Casing correction)
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by T3KN0Gh057.
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and 6 members online