Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Manage database on multiple PCs

Manage database on multiple PCs 2 years 9 months ago #41532

• HungryHill
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone,

I have found a lot of information regarding this issue but most of it is quite outdated.
I am currently trying to set up comicRack for the first time and I am planning to use it on two different PCs (which are located in two different networks).
Furthermore I am planning to purchase the proVersion for Android so I can sync it easily with my tablet.

So the question is: What is the best way to set this up?
I was thinking about putting the ComicDB.xml on GoogleDrive or Dropbox but I don't think CR offers any options to relink the location of that file.

Any help on this is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Manage database on multiple PCs 2 years 9 months ago #41538

• Sigafoos
  • Fresh Boarder
Do you need to sync the tablet with both PCs? I looked into it recently and while the "store in a database" method might work I'm not sure if it would let me sync from either, and after a small amount of fiddling I couldn't get it to work (probably due to stuff on my end) so I gave up. But: if all you want to do is edit the metadata/read on either computer, you can share your library from PC 1 with a password and give write access, then access it from PC 2 and edit metadata, read it, etc. I can't sync my iPad that way (though I had the idea to use my Squid proxy to try and trick the iPad into thinking it was at home) but that also didn't work, again probably due to stuff on my end.

Putting the ComicDB.xml file into a shared folder won't work, because while it's open it's locked for editing.

What I do now isn't necessarily ideal but it does work.

- download comics into shared folder
- open up Chrome Remote Desktop and rescan my folders
- open ComicRack on my work PC and do my thing
- sync my iPad when I get home

So I can't read new comics on my lunch break on my iPad the day they come out, but I can read them on my monitor or wait until I get home.

Manage database on multiple PCs 2 years 9 months ago #41539

• HungryHill
  • Fresh Boarder
Sigafoos wrote:
Putting the ComicDB.xml file into a shared folder won't work, because while it's open it's locked for editing.

Well, I dont need to edit it from two locations at the same time.

I will try this now:

In the comicRack.ini i will add this:
; Path to the Database (same as -db command switch)
DatabasePath = D:\XYZ\Google Drive\_comicRack\

Now comicRack will load the comicDB.xml from this location (GDrive) on startup.

I guess my comics need to be stored in the same path at both locations (e.g. D:\Comics\)

Obviously I will need to keep the library in sync myself.

Will try this the next days.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by HungryHill.
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Who's Online

We have 700 guests and 4 members online