Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Tip: Fix some bad files

Tip: Fix some bad files 2 years 9 months ago #41711

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I don't know if this has been covered but sometimes it's possible to decompress files that aren't readable in ComicRack and turn them into usable files.

You must first have WinRar and 7Zip installed. I'll leave it an exercise for the reader to download and install the appropriate versions of these tools.

If you see a comic that is entirely a big X, select it, right-click it and choose "Reveal in Explorer" (ctrl-g). Rename the extension to the appropriate one (.cbz becomes .zip, .cbr becomes .rar). Right-Click and select to "Extract to <file name>" with Winrar (the icons look like a stack of books - purple, blue, and green). Then you can look at the resulting folder to see if the images are actually valid. If they appear to be good right click on that folder and use 7-Zip to create a zip file with Right-Click->7-Zip->Add to "<filename/folder name>.zip". Rename that to your desired name with the extension of cbz, and add it to your library like usual. Once you're happy with it delete the created folder. Just make sure the file isn't still buried in the folder you're about to delete.

If it's no good you can also attempt to extract it with 7-Zip, but I don't think this has ever succeeded for me.

If this still doesn't work, delete the folder and attempt to rename the file extension from zip to rar or rar to zip, whichever is appropriate. Then repeat the above steps. Occasionally the file is valid, but it has the incorrect extension and this will work around that.

After that I usually give up and delete the original file. If you know of some additional steps that I could add to this workflow I would be appreciative.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Who's Online

We have 191 guests and 3 members online