Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in Over a Year Now? 2 years 4 months ago #42426

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The last update to CR appears to have been in August of 2014. I was wondering if that means there's nothing more to do for the program and it's complete or if the creator has no time at the moment or is taking a break?

I'm not complaining, mind, I've been using the program very well and it's great. I was just a little curious is all
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Shalaengyl.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: farhan5988

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42449

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
*disregar this post, i must be intoxicated :P*
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by pweasel.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42451

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
We've had some discussion on this here.

Posting them for more opinions here too:

600WPMPO wrote:
It's my personal opinion that the app needs updating, not just for the sake of an update, but to keep up with the times (iOS9?), to keep it relevant, and obviously, to fix a few bugs here & there.

I feel very, very sad to see the stagnancy that has crept in ComicRack (windows as well as iOS). I always say that corrosion starts when you think that you've achieved perfection. Is it that, or just a loss of interest, I'm unsure. :(

600WPMPO wrote:
When I was using my old iPhone with iOS5, I thought that it was perfect. I had zero issues with it, and I used it daily. Today, we are using iOS8, and talking about iOS9 in a month. Why? If an-almost perfect OS needs regular updates, why shouldn't a decent software like ComicRack be updated, say, once a year? I know it very well that we are not Apple. We are essentially cYo (and crios). I understand that. No matter what, I don't see why updating an app at least yearly is not possible.

And, if we've nothing more to give, let us bring CRW out of beta, and make ComicRack for IOS a free app.

:(

600WPMPO wrote:
3-4 years back, I made one edition of the ComicRack manual (was it the 4th or the 5th edition, I don't remember) in between changing my daughter's diapers. :laugh:

My point is that you'll always 'find' time for what you love. If you're not 'finding' time, maybe you don't love it anymore.

With the everything's-fine-and-no-updates-needed concept, we would still be using Windows 98 and iOS 4. :P

Inactivity leads to loss of interest, and then ultimately to death. I've always maintained that ComicRack will start its journey towards oblivion the day when cbanack stops updating his scraper. With no developer interest into maintaining ComicRack, who knows when cbanack's interest will start to wane?

We are not talking here about the once-upon-a-time-famous weekly/monthly updates. I'm just wishing for 1 or 2 updates per year. A little word now & then from the bosses saying that they're here, and its not dead yet. Helping the users get over the problems they're facing. Improving the software with new features and eliminating the bugs.

Instead of applauding laziness & justifying excuses, we should here be encouraging cYo (& crios) into keeping intact their interest in the software, letting it stay alive and relevant.

Let the dream not die... :(

kenjio wrote:
We've had "silent" moments in the past, but never this long (IIRC).

I think what upsets most people, more than the lack of "updates", is the lack of any sort of communication.
I would love to receive an update every few months, but at the same time, I can't complain too much about the current state of the software.
But, when bugs appear, a complete lack of acknowledgement is frustrating, and has turned many people away.

At this point, I'd prefer to see CR become OSS and maintained by the community, rather than see it wither and die.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: farhan5988

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42453

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Silent Moments :/

It's all a matter of how much my real job needs me.

I will put something out this weekend.
But do not expect too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, imtheyoyo, burnshroom, krandor, namtab

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42529

• gillberg1111
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Maybe opening up the software to a few developers would be a good idea. It might breath some new life into the app as a passion project for them (i.e. working on it for no pay.) I am not a developer, so this would not benefit me, except as a paying user.

Also, is there a backup plan if something happened to cYo? I am guessing ComicRack would be done? Morbid, but a realistic thought. You could be a 98 year old programming badass, but everyone has a clock :(

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42544

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I signed up for an account for the express purpose of replying to this thread.

I used to be an avid reader of comics when I was a kid, but after I graduated high school and my responsibilities increased I quit the hobby. Many, many years later (a few years ago) I stumbled across ComicRack and thought it was wondrous. It was still a very young project, but the code was relatively stable and there was a very promising future ahead of it.

Unfortunately, Real Life intervened again (recession, went back to school, etc.) and I put ComicRack aside, but vowed to return one day. That day has now come and I'm excited to see that ComicRack has moved into the mobile space and in many ways it is still ahead of its competition.

However, I'm saddened to see that after all these years we still haven't seen ComicRack v1.0. Development is at a snail's pace (and I imagine donations/sales mirror that pace). I have a stack of ideas and suggestions on how to improve ComicRack both as a product and how it's marketed in order to make more money, but...I have read that the developer has his own ideas on how to proceed and does not want any suggestions.

As it stands now, the ComicRack ecosystem seems to be precariously balanced and dependent upon a few script authors who are surely not receiving any amount of compensation that is commensurate with the amount of labor they are putting into their products. If even one of them decides to call it quits, the house of cards that is ComicRack will be in danger of collapse.

I want to have faith in this project. I want to have the confidence to drop the $32.89 ($25 for the desktop client, $7.89 for the Android client) in order to support the author and enjoy a superior product, but...with the author's non-participation in the forum and his sporadic release schedule, it seems like this whole thing is hanging by a thread and will disappear in the dead of night one day.

I want to believe in ComicRack as, with all its flaws, it's still the best option for reading comics out there. However, it looks like these days the project is on life support rather than vibrant with life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Herjar

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42546

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
The thing is...at the end of the day, this is just a fun side project for cYo. It doesn't pay his bills - and probably never would even if he devoted all his effort to it, there's not a large enough market for it.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42547

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I agree with Innuendo word-for-word. But, I've now settled down with the state of things. I think we've said our say, and we should respect cYo for all the good times he's given us, and not pressurise him into anything. He's a dear friend, and we are not going anywhere (unless the Adamantium in his bones gives way earlier than ours :laugh: ).

Innuendo wrote:
...it seems like this whole thing is hanging by a thread and will disappear in the dead of night one day...
Won't we all? ;)

Most dissatisfactions begin when we wish for permanence in this temporary life. Let's enjoy while it lasts. :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42551

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
600WPMPO, I agree with you and I didn't mean any disrespect towards cYo. At the risk of using an over-used word, the key word when it comes to ComicRack is amazing.

cYo is an amazing programmer and he had(has?) an amazing vision for a comic book reader. While he has accomplished amazing things in what he's done with the program, I'm a little sad that we may never see the amazing things that could have been if only he would have had more time to work on it.

I'm no stranger to having no free time to do anything I want what with there being a time in my life when I went to college full-time while holding down a full-time job. I just hope someday cYo finally gets some free time to return to the things he loves doing, whether it's ComicRack or something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, farhan5988

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42552

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Kickstarter to opensource when?
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Who's Online

We have 183 guests and 5 members online