Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42561

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
The siren's call of open source is a tempting one, but When one hears a tale of code going open source the story rarely has a happy ending.

I have seen countless times when after a rallying cry for open source has been met that the code languishes away from non-use. There's no point in any project going open source unless there is actively standing by ready to pick up the torch and lead the project to glory. I admit I do not read every forum thread, but I don't believe I've seen any champions ready to heed the call if the source code is revealed.

Other times, I have seen the source code taken up by a new coder and things change. The coder is the heart and soul of every programming project. A new coder may take ComicRack in new expected ways that might be good...or bad. Are you ready for a ComicRack that has weird page transitions, interstitial ads, and who knows what else driven by different goals than what cYo has had? I'm not sure I am.

Successful tales of a project going open source usually involve the original author opening up the code base to everyone, but has usually selected a few people to carry on his work who not only know how to code, but understand the project's philosophy and spirit. Again, maybe I've missed something/someone, but I haven't seen any heirs to the throne around here.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romsnesrom

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42563

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Honestly, I don't see much broken in the current desktop and iOS versions. I think it's nice to know he's still involved or could be if needed and that's good enough for now.

If apps need an update for iOS 9 or whatever to work, I would hope that would get addressed. Same for Windows 10. As long as that is good, I'm good.

I think the flexibility and new functions are reliant on the community via scripts, etc. If thinga like Organizer and the scraper stop working, well that is a little different story:)

JMO
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by riddlemethis. Reason: asdf

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42566

• ksandersbna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
IMO, there is progress or regress. There is no "gress".

I love comicrack, the iOS app the server. It really brought me back to my younger years of reading comics but I am worried about the la k of an update. Sure, the apps work. Sure, there are no glaring issues. Have there been any changes to the iOS front since the last comicrack update? Sure has. The iPhone 6+ was released. Can I use comicrack on that? No. Is it essential? No. But it sure would be nice.

I can't see myself moving from comicrack and I'll always be grateful for the time that has been put into this and God knows I know how. Busy schedule can interfere with the things we love to do but at least share where you see the software going. I am trying other readers on the phone and they work nicely. But comicrack is the product I love.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kinasin

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42574

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
I think it is worth pointing out there are three big issues.

1 - Comicrack is not a stable program. I can crash it over and over on demand, and I often have crashes when I don't provoke it. With heavy use I can expect at least one crash even with careful work arounds, one out of five a comic file will become corrupted. There was no improvement moving from Vista to Windows 7 and I am not touching later versions of windows with a barge pole until 7 is no longer supported. I suspect there is no difference anyway if it didn't work on the virgin install of 7 upon which I tested it then it will have issues anywhere. Mac users seem to complain of similar crashes as well.

I am a heavy user but the thumbnail system is not stable at all and I suspect the graphics system needs an overhaul. I gave up posting on the bug pages. The bug was not really aknowleged, but many people complain of crashing issues and we advise them how to work around them so we are slightly blind to the issues.

2 - The iPad still has no way of browsing the main database. Which reduces the usefulness of the iPad app for anything other than planned reading. Continued development would probably have given us comic streaming by now because other readers have had this for years.

3 - The promised increased functionality with an SQL server never emerged. Those of us that use SQL have the benefit of a more stable, crash resistant database but that is all. The data is in an unusable form for anything else which negates the point of using a standardised database. Currently loading the program with a large database is really slow for no real reason. The whole point of a proper query based database is so you don't need to load the whole database on start-up. Obviously this requires a big rewrite and a change of basic functionality but that was the implied direction of development at one point.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Kinasin

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42590

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Could we add our requests for an updated version?
I'd like the ability (In Android CRA) to move to a folder instead of delete selected read comics ,as I sync up to dropbox and move to an archive my read comics, in fact it would be even better to auto move all read comics to a folder on the tablet so my auto syncing app could move them to Dropbox and then my archive PC.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42598

• lahonda_99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cYo wrote:
I will put something out this weekend.
But do not expect too much.

There are thousands of people who rely on this software. If you are unable to keep up then let your baby flourish in the hands of others. GitHub.

Here are just a few of the benefits that may arise:
  • Crash fixes
  • Recode the base to a cross platform friendly language for Linux and OSX
  • Reworked modern user interface
  • Multi core / multi thread support
  • Full SQL database integration
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by lahonda_99.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42644

• Kinasin
  • Fresh Boarder
lahonda_99 wrote:
cYo wrote:
I will put something out this weekend.
But do not expect too much.

Well this never happened. You should open source this if you don't plan on working on it anymore.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Kinasin.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42681

• lg5
  • Junior Boarder
cYo wrote:
Silent Moments :/

Hey cYo, are you feeling discouraged due to this old thread?

As you can see, the guy didn't released anything. Is possible that he was only trolling.

Please resume coding on ComicRack. It has issues and many (me including) would prefer it going open-source, but we love this software even if in closed source mode :P

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42683

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
lg5 wrote:
Hey cYo, are you feeling discouraged due to this old thread?

I don't know cYo, but I don't think discouragement over competing projects has ever been a problem. If it were, I think he would have dropped the hammer a long time ago & mandated that all talk of competing apps be kept out of the forum along with moderators closing all topics on sight.

However, cYo has been very open about allowing any talk regarding any competing projects to flourish here. He has my respect for that.
As you can see, the guy didn't released anything. Is possible that he was only trolling.

Well, 'that guy' had a very ambitious plan to launch a program that could handle movies, TV, and comics and run on every major computing and mobile platform. That is truly a heck of a lot of work for one person to do. Then, towards the end of the thread, he announced that he was going to support the Modern UI as well.

Also, I have to point out that the only progress he really posted were empty dialogs and requestors never populated with any data. Anybody who has taken an intro to programming class could whip those up in Visual Studio in a few minutes. You can tell they are 'dummy' dialog boxes with nothing hooked up to them because of the tell-tale "Listbox 1" you see showing in a lot of the screenshots. That's usually an indicator that Visual Studio uses to say "Hey, you have no code hooked up to display anything here".

I'm not going to call the guy a troll, but his words were not matching the screenshots he was posting in regards to how far along he is/was in the project.
Please resume coding on ComicRack. It has issues and many (me including) would prefer it going open-source, but we love this software even if in closed source mode :P

cYo, in his own words, is a very busy man. I have no idea how busy as I don't believe he has ever said what his real world schedule is like. I don't think imploring him to resume work will help. There's only so many hours in a day & his are full. We are stuck with the options of hoping that either his schedule frees up some time to work on ComicRack or that some brilliant programmer arrives on the comic book scene to pick up where ComicRack left off with a new project.

I'm a person who is fluent in C++ and I have a copy of Visual Studio Professional sitting right here, but I don't think I've got the vision or dedication to be the brilliant programmer that everyone is waiting for.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42684

• Reducer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Okay, so let's say that ComicRack is dead (I hope not!). What are the free and/or paid options that have the same features, awesome plugins, and great community?
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Who's Online

We have 213 guests and 5 members online