Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42865

• Reducer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Very glad to hear it!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42871

• StoneRyno
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As a developer myself money speaks louder than words sometimes. It can be encouraging to have a steady income from a project you spend significant time working on. Especially if you are not charging for it and if the main focus was/is to make for yourself (as I assume that is how things started) the best app for the task you design the app to be. In this case reading comics. I have been using it for over a year now and am very happy with it. So I'm sending some money as I have been meaning to do it for quite some time now and kept forgetting. Also it can be hard to trust others with your code when it is a project you gave birth to and put so much time into.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 4 months ago #42872

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
The following user(s) said Thank You: namtab

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42913

• lahonda_99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Small fixes? There have been some large issues brought up over the years in this forum. You thanked the last poster for donating. I've abstained from donating because it's clear that you are no longer interested in development. I know you consider this a mature program, but it has problems and could be so much better. Hand the project over to an open source conglomeration and I'd be happy to donate to them: being much more confident in continued development.

Since you consider ComicRack mature and in need of only small fixes you should be ready to pass the reigns, right?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42914

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I may be reading a little too much into the recent flurry of activity and forum posts by cYo, but he seems to be enjoying designing a new web site. This might be a bridge for him to get back in contact with what he loved about this project to begin with and provide a path for him to move forward.

Lord knows if a person spends too much time on any one thing they get burned out. This is true of anyone & I'm sure it's true in cYo's case as well. Sure, if he's absolutely sick and tired of working on ComicRack then yes, passing on the reigns is a valid option. However, taking all the source code and running it through a military-grade file deletion/shredding program is a valid choice as well.

At the end of the day it's his work that he built from the ground up with his sweat and tears. We have no say in how the project moves forward. I hope it does, though, in a productive way.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42916

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Innuendo wrote:
...taking all the source code and running it through a military-grade file deletion/shredding program is a valid choice as well...

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lahonda_99, Shalaengyl, namtab

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42917

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
lahonda_99 wrote:
Small fixes? There have been some large issues brought up over the years in this forum. You thanked the last poster for donating. I've abstained from donating because it's clear that you are no longer interested in development. I know you consider this a mature program, but it has problems and could be so much better. Hand the project over to an open source conglomeration and I'd be happy to donate to them: being much more confident in continued development.

Since you consider ComicRack mature and in need of only small fixes you should be ready to pass the reigns, right?

The only major thing I run into is when it crashes and loses my library file which is not fun. It happens to me a lot. What are the others you're thinking of?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42918

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Shalaengyl wrote:
lahonda_99 wrote:

The only major thing I run into is when it crashes and loses my library file which is not fun. It happens to me a lot. What are the others you're thinking of?

Since I moved my DB to MySQL I've never had a data crash.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42920

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
pweasel wrote:
Shalaengyl wrote:
lahonda_99 wrote:

Since I moved my DB to MySQL I've never had a data crash.

I don't know how to do that unfortunately.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 3 months ago #42921

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shalaengyl
Time to create page: 0.646 seconds

Who's Online

We have 848 guests and 3 members online