Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42924

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Shalaengyl wrote:
The only major thing I run into is when it crashes and loses my library file which is not fun. It happens to me a lot. What are the others you're thinking of?

Persistant crashes due to apparent graphical problems has always been my biggest one. If I sit down to work with it for adding, editing or replacing files for more than half an hour, crash probability is 80%. If I wasn't so careful to avoid opening pages that require uncashed thumbnail renderings that percentage would be 100%.

Indeed just to convince myself this was not exagerated in my head I just opened one book while writing this and went straight to the pages view to watch the page thumbs render and it crashed. If I had avoided going to that view until the thumbs had cashed it would probably have been fine.

I also resorted to SQL to keep my database safe, that has worked well for me.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jkthemac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shalaengyl

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42926

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
pweasel wrote:
Since I moved my DB to MySQL I've never had a data crash.

Does moving to MySQL also helps with RAM usage and speed of quitting?
I never had any real crashes however I find that ComicRack uses massive amounts of RAM and when I quit the program it tends to take more than 20m to shut down (up to 1 hour) even when I have done pretty much no changes.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42929

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
mmm, as i don't usually READ from the CRW, it seldom crashes. I just use it for scraping and syncing with the CRA that I really use to read. It's so rare that my main issue with CRW is that after a suspend-resume it doesn't rebind the network adapter and can't sync from the CRA, i have to restart CRW for it to work again.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42930

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
pweasel wrote:
mmm, as i don't usually READ from the CRW, it seldom crashes. I just use it for scraping and syncing with the CRA that I really use to read. It's so rare that my main issue with CRW is that after a suspend-resume it doesn't rebind the network adapter and can't sync from the CRA, i have to restart CRW for it to work again.

That's exactly how I use it :laugh: - if I end up reading a comic on the PC I actually use cdisplay (and then mark it as read in comicrack)

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42940

• edru
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I originally had made a post, but it got wiped due to the site restore/move.

Basically in a summed up version of that post:

I'm a paying, donating, member of this application/site. I find it pretty absurd that cYo is asking for donations in his site announcement, when he hasn't updated all 3 versions of the application in nearly a year, or more.

With android it was more of a forced update due to 5 dropping and causing issues. He never added things like the SD card write API that 5 (or maybe 5.1) added. Sorting features present in the iOS variants are not available on the Android variant, making smart lists almost worthless.

iOS appears to havent been updated in 1.5 years

Windows application, a year. It's sad that its core function (being a library) doesnt even work correctly half the time. It crashes, wiping your data, causing a reimport and in some cases a retag. Switching to SQL backend fixes some of this, but the application shouldn't rely on users having to do this.

Im happy to support this site, happy to donate, but I need some sort of actual work done on the applications. Be it real updates with fixes and features, open sourcing the application, or getting a team together to actually work on things when your real life is busy. No fault there, I understand work, but at this point its a bit absurd to ask for money when the application itself has been dead in the water for a year.

Going through the forum I see posts left and right with people offering up their help. Be it design work, or testing. I've personally offered to test versions for features your devices do not have. Offered testing, logging, and what not, not even a peep back. At this point the only thing holding back this "mature" application is yourself.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by edru.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, jericko, lahonda_99, Shalaengyl, Bloodstalker

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42949

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Am I the only person who has never had a single odd crash or data loss ever with CRW? I've been using it for...I don't even know how long (my forum registration date is 2008 apparently, so at least that long)...and never run into any of these sorts of issues. Just lucky?
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Shinrai.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42951

• Rick
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Shinrai wrote:
Am I the only person who has never had a single odd crash or data loss ever with CRW? I've been using it for...I don't even know how long (my forum registration date is 2008 apparently, so at least that long)...and never run into any of these sorts of issues. Just lucky?

No issues here since I started using CRW many years ago here as well and have collected a pretty large database since then.

It might just be depended on certain CRW actions or system configurations, or just plain data corruption due to faulty hardware (bit rot / software raid quality) but you would need steps to reproduce it reliably to start pinpointing it.
In case of data corruption it's always wise to have backups but that's recommended for any data you hold dear.

Did switch to MSSQL last week to have a shared database and was wondering if there are any additional performance benefits when using CRW or syncing to CRA?
As it looks like its still reading data from its local database (search / info display etc..) and writing any chances to the DB as well so that other clients can pick it up.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Rick.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42952

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
Same here no crashes with CRW since I started using several years ago and I also have a reasonably big collection.
My issues have always been on the performance side i.e. slow downs when switching between (smart)lists and the time it takes for it to shut down.

Not sure about the data loss aspects: now and again I find that some comics exist on my NAS but not in the database (though I have clearly edited them with CRW as they have the right nfo file inside the cbz) - however they are far and in between and have never been able to determine whether it was program or user fault.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by rmagere.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42954

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
The crashes when browsing a large list especially when the thumbnails haven't been created yet are real (when scrolling faster than the thumbnail generator can cope it seems). And the data corruption is on the software's end (in general, but I don't doubt for a second that anyone had a bad disk failure).
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42955

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
rmagere wrote:
now and again I find that some comics exist on my NAS but not in the database (though I have clearly edited them with CRW as they have the right nfo file inside the cbz) - however they are far and in between and have never been able to determine whether it was program or user fault.

As I use the library organizer + scrapper to manage file operations I never experienced that in a few year of usage adding comics every Wednesday :)
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by pweasel.
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Who's Online

We have 220 guests and 4 members online