Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42958

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I see some talk scattered around the forum talking about crashes including in this thread. What I haven't seen, and this isn't the place for it, is any kind of troubleshooting to find out why it is occurring for some people and not necessarily others. What graphics chipset (AMD or nVidia), OS-provided or OEM drivers for the graphics card, hard drive controllers, etc? Does it happen with all driver versions or just some? Which version of Windows? Or maybe Parallels/Boot Camp on a Mac? Or even Wine on Linux? And goodness, don't even get me started on questions about variables that can affect the mobile versions!

Saying "Well, ComicRack always crashes when I do this" isn't going to help diagnose the problem, unfortunately. cYo may or may not push out a new version of these programs, but we can do our part and provide as much information as we possibly can regarding these issues so he'll be well-armed to create a fix if he chooses to do so.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42959

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Innuendo wrote:
I see some talk scattered around the forum talking about crashes including in this thread. What I haven't seen, and this isn't the place for it, is any kind of troubleshooting to find out why it is occurring for some people and not necessarily others. What graphics chipset (AMD or nVidia), OS-provided or OEM drivers for the graphics card, hard drive controllers, etc? Does it happen with all driver versions or just some? Which version of Windows? Or maybe Parallels/Boot Camp on a Mac? Or even Wine on Linux? And goodness, don't even get me started on questions about variables that can affect the mobile versions!

Saying "Well, ComicRack always crashes when I do this" isn't going to help diagnose the problem, unfortunately. cYo may or may not push out a new version of these programs, but we can do our part and provide as much information as we possibly can regarding these issues so he'll be well-armed to create a fix if he chooses to do so.

I can't speak for others but I have no idea how to find out any of that. Chips? AMD Nvidia? No clue what any of that means and I don't really want to know. I wish I could help more but I suck at techie stuff.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42960

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Innuendo wrote:

The freeze/crash problem with thumbnails:

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/10-bugs/3819...while-loading-covers

The suspend/resume bug:

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/10-bugs/3780...p-from-s3-s4-suspend

none are news to us, but none had been followed up.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shalaengyl

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42961

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
pweasel, thank you for linking those two threads, but they only prove my point. I saw posts saying that the program crashed, but no technical details to go on to troubleshoot the issues. No mention of the hardware it's running on or software that was installed alongside. For all we know, the problem occurred while running on a 2008 netbook or a PC running Windows XP that has never been updated.

Furthermore, both 'threads' consist of a grand total of one post each. Nobody chimed in on either thread to state that they were experiencing the issues as well. There's no hard data presented to help cYo recreate the problem or indicate what might be the problem.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42962

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
we are saying the same (although in my case, the specs are on the signature including software versions)
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42963

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
pweasel wrote:
we are saying the same (although in my case, the specs are on the signature including software versions)

I don't know about that...the first line of your signature mentions the OS version your PC is running, but no mention of the hardware. The second line of your signature mentions the hardware your Android devices are running, but no mention of the OS versions. Also, signatures are fluid. They change over time & a year from now may not accurately reflect upon an issue you are having now.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42964

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
the android version is irrelevant, as it is a binding problem in the windows version. the PC hardware is also irrelevant (only in this case) as suspend modes are abstracted by the OS. All you need is the OS version and the CRW version.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42965

• Rick
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
pweasel wrote:
For S3/4 I created a program that restarts them upon resume as it's not uncommon for programs to stop working properly as handling that most of the time requires extra code (like EventGhost / OHW in my case), you can add as many as you want to the program and it will restart them the moment your machine is back up with a configurable delay.

While not fixing the problem with CRW itself it might save some time and also don't have to remind yourself to restart on every suspend:

github.com/RickDB/WakeHelper (Source)
github.com/RickDB/WakeHelper/releases (Binary)

Most of the time the issue lies with network as during resume that can be unreachable, this can be different per hardware setup as it also depends on drivers and hardware configurations (how fast they "get back up").
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Rick.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42966

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
pweasel wrote:
the android version is irrelevant, as it is a binding problem in the windows version. the PC hardware is also irrelevant (only in this case) as suspend modes are abstracted by the OS. All you need is the OS version and the CRW version.

So very much untrue. If you have a bug in your video card drivers in it's suspend/resume code, Windows and or programs running will crash when suspend/resume is invoked. Same for network card and sound drivers as well.

Abstraction is true to a certain degree, but device drivers are the interface between the hardware and that abstract layer. Your PC is an ecosystem where everything interacts with and depends on every other component in the PC to be perfectly operational. One buggy driver can upset that delicate balance. Also, a totally unrelated program that has bugs could leave the hardware in an unstable state causing instability as well.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 1 month ago #42967

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and 7 members online