Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42968

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
pweasel, I'm not sure what point your trying to make with that link, but the discussion in that thread only re-iterates what I've been saying: whether or not suspend and resume is successful is dependent upon your hardware and your network setup, which includes the drivers.

This is my last post on the subject as this has massively derailed the thread, but if you want to continue the topic, feel free to start a new topic & I may even participate. If you hadn't been so resistant to my suggestions so far we could have been well on our way to solving your problems by now.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42978

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
As one of the posters that often reminds people of the graphical instabilities with Comicrack, I would point out I am not seeking help because I have already performed quite deep troubleshooting on the issue myself and have posted appropriate information in the relevant places in the past. I even went as far as using two different spec machines with brand new Windows installations.

The problems I experience have followed me across multiple versions of the program, three operating systems and at least two different PCs with radically different specs and graphic systems. I suspect the manner that I use ComicRack is quite non-standard (if there even is such a thing) in that I often rearrange pages, delete pages and therefore frequently make use of the Pages view. I suspect this makes for a confusion with the program's cache of pages and can cause clashes between what is actually in a book and what the cache would suggest.

My point in all this is not "help me with this annoying issue" but rather, just because a program has been around for a long time doesn’t make it 'mature'.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42980

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
My point in all this is not "help me with this annoying issue" but rather, just because a program has been around for a long time doesn’t make it 'mature'.

I've read a lot of your posts and yes, you do take things to the limit when it comes to what the program can do. I think you use ComicRack for a lot of things most of us don't and I don't think any amount of troubleshooting your issues will help because while most of us are tooling down the highways & autobahns that ComicRack has built for us, you are going cross-country in an all-wheel drive vehicle off the beaten paths.

ComicRack can be considered very mature for the use case scenarios of most average users. However, you are most certainly a power user pushing the most esoteric functions of ComicRack to the limit & you're doing things that either haven't been tested much or no one else thought of doing things quite that way.

I hope if/when cYo returns to developing ComicRack he enlists you as an alpha/beta tester & lets you help him improve the program. You've got an out-of-the-box type of thinking that most devs would kill for to have on their QC team.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42982

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Yes, I am known for my 'out of the box' thinking, but on a more general note:

Judging from the help posts of many new users over the years, I think the symptoms I have are also the symptoms that many new users experience when they have not yet converted their library to CBZ files.

Of course when these people show up here with those issues we quickly convince them to go with the flow and convert, so the problem is underplayed. But, a casual user looking for alternatives for their comic collection may be put off by this kind of instability and wander off.

With a bit of work, these 'non-standard' files could be displayed with less issues and a bit of error handling within the software could point these users to helpful hints and solutions instead of just crashing.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42984

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
Judging from the help posts of many new users over the years, I think the symptoms I have are also the symptoms that many new users experience when they have not yet converted their library to CBZ files.

I think file formats is a big part of the puzzle. The ecomic community has basically latched onto various file archive formats and changed the file extensions. It started with CBZ and over the years the only real changes have been moving to other file archive formats (with a changed file extension). Certainly, some of the newer file formats offer benefits over CBZ, but there are trade-offs to varying degrees with each one. I think we still haven't stumbled upon the optimal solution yet.

The real issue, though, I think is the ComicRack database being stored in XML format. XML is pretty good at storing some data, but it wasn't designed to hold as much data as some of the larger comic book collections generate. Not to mention it's a linear file that must be read and saved sequentially & completely any time any changes are made. It's no substitute for a real database & it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

I'm hoping the next major version cYo puts out moves to mySQL officially & configures an SQL database as part of the setup wizard. It doesn't help that SQL isn't really something put forth as an option in a very visible fashion, either. Usually people only find out about it after disaster strikes.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42988

• jericko
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Innuendo wrote:

I think file formats is a big part of the puzzle. The ecomic community has basically latched onto various file archive formats and changed the file extensions. It started with CBZ and over the years the only real changes have been moving to other file archive formats (with a changed file extension). Certainly, some of the newer file formats offer benefits over CBZ, but there are trade-offs to varying degrees with each one. I think we still haven't stumbled upon the optimal solution yet.

Depending on the ripper and what software he uses, it has always been either CBZ (WinZip) or CBR (WinRar), not various formats. Neither format should be a issue for anyone. Some PDF rips are released, but those are not by a scene release group and do not adhere to the scene rules.

No New Updates in Over a Year Now? 2 years 2 months ago #42989

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I updated the thread title to be more accurate.

I don't know much about database storage, but if there's a way to make it better, I'm all for it.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42991

• Rick
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Innuendo wrote:
jkthemac wrote:

The real issue, though, I think is the ComicRack database being stored in XML format. XML is pretty good at storing some data, but it wasn't designed to hold as much data as some of the larger comic book collections generate. Not to mention it's a linear file that must be read and saved sequentially & completely any time any changes are made. It's no substitute for a real database & it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

I'm hoping the next major version cYo puts out moves to mySQL officially & configures an SQL database as part of the setup wizard. It doesn't help that SQL isn't really something put forth as an option in a very visible fashion, either. Usually people only find out about it after disaster strikes.

The first step might be to use SQLite as the default and MSSQL / MySQL for the power users as that relies on additional software that the user might be uncommon with.
SQLite can corrupt as well however its one of the few good alternatives, it allows for locking mechanisms / indexes / transactions and is supported in just about any coding language.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42992

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
jericko wrote:
Depending on the ripper and what software he uses, it has always been either CBZ (WinZip) or CBR (WinRar), not various formats.

I have seen CBT (Tar) and WebP formats slowly creeping into releases.
Neither format should be a issue for anyone.

Unless you want ComicRack to store comicinfo.xml data in your CBRs.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Innuendo.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42994

• jericko
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Innuendo wrote:
jericko wrote:
Depending on the ripper and what software he uses, it has always been either CBZ (WinZip) or CBR (WinRar), not various formats.

I have seen CBT (Tar) and WebP formats slowly creeping into releases.
Neither format should be a issue for anyone.

Unless you want ComicRack to store comicinfo.xml data in your CBRs.

Again, those are not SCENE releases. Anyone can rip now using a browser plugin, but those rips are crap and usually have watermarks. The main scene groups only use CBR/CBZ. Most prefer CBR. If you belong to any of the main comic sharing groups, and you change the format from CBR to CBZ or even insert the xml into the CBZ, you are kicked from these groups as you are repacking a scene rip. ComicRack even stop having that option as a default in later releases.
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds

Who's Online

We have 221 guests and 2 members online