Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: No New Updates in Over a Year Now?

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42995

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
jericko wrote:
Again, those are not SCENE releases.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Apologies. I'll try to rephrase. ComicRack is not just about supporting scene releases, but every format that digital comics come in no matter the source. As a matter of fact, scene releases should be the last thing we should be discussing here as they are violations of copyright law & therefore illegal. Let us whine about the development of ComicRack all we like, but let's not get cYo in any kind of legal hot water while we do so. cYo has been a very gracious host allowing us all to complain about his work and even promote the work of competing programs. Let's not abuse his generosity.

Furthermore, back to the point I was trying to make is the goal that ComicRack is trying to accomplish by storing metadata within the comic archive itself is a hack. A fairly effective one, but it's a kludge. The only reason I brought up the various different archive formats that digital comics come in is that they are all just renamed archive formats with no capabilities tailored for storing metadata for digital comics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, rmagere

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #42996

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Innuendo wrote:
I'm hoping the next major version cYo puts out moves to mySQL officially & configures an SQL database as part of the setup wizard. It doesn't help that SQL isn't really something put forth as an option in a very visible fashion, either.

I second this. not everyone is able to download, install and setup a DB engine if they have never seen and used one before.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
The following user(s) said Thank You: farhan5988

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43027

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
rmagere wrote:
pweasel wrote:
Since I moved my DB to MySQL I've never had a data crash.

Does moving to MySQL also helps with RAM usage and speed of quitting?
I never had any real crashes however I find that ComicRack uses massive amounts of RAM and when I quit the program it tends to take more than 20m to shut down (up to 1 hour) even when I have done pretty much no changes.

Replying to my own question. Just moved to MYSQL and shutting down is amazingly quick compared to what it used to be (from over 20 minutes to less than 1). Also comicrack RAM usage has gone down.

No New Updates in Over a Year Now? 2 years 2 months ago #43030

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
The problem with non standard files goes a lot deeper than cbz vs cbr, it is related to file ordering, image formats, jpg compression options used, and indeed any XML stored in the file. Not to mention other files hidden away in the archive.

Many new users have complained of crashes while browsing the library that have been fixed by changing their view so thumbnails are no longer visible. This can be due to corrupt files but I believe the majority are just non-standard files that CR has difficulty making thumbs for. That should be fixed.

--

As to SQL, the clear development direction before this current slow period, was to move towards better SQL use. I would love to see this continued.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43123

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Which is why it would benefit everybody to open the project up and allow others to contribute. Having worked in open source for years I can say that not hinging a project on one person's time can only benefit the users.
Check out The Comic Book Update podcast!
www.comicbookupdate.com/
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by mcpierce.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43141

pweasel wrote:
Innuendo wrote:
I'm hoping the next major version cYo puts out moves to mySQL officially & configures an SQL database as part of the setup wizard. It doesn't help that SQL isn't really something put forth as an option in a very visible fashion, either.

I second this. not everyone is able to download, install and setup a DB engine if they have never seen and used one before.
I'll be blunt: Installing MySQL just to support a user's local ComicRack install would be stupid. You now have a new, large piece of software to manage and update separate from the OS and application. Right now the only reason to do it is because there's literally no other choice for greater stability and performance, but sqlite was specifically made for this situation. Sqlite and MySQL are almost entirely compatible, so the query parts can be identical between them for normal users and power users, which is a far cry from having completely different XML and SQL interfaces. That would simplify the code enormously. Sqlite is available for basically every platform ever, it's extensively used by iOS and Android apps.

Sqlite recommends against running on a network share, because file share locking isn't as robust as local locking or a dedicated daemon, but even that would be enough for most people, and still significantly easier to set up and manage. I spent quite a few years administering MySQL, and while it's not terribly difficult to learn for a newcomer, it's not simple, either, and it's a bit of a memory hog.

But to me it looks like it's neither going to go open source nor get updated anytime soon, so this is just idle speculation. Meh. It's a great program, that's too bad.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by silverbacknet.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43144

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
silverbacknet wrote:
Sqlite recommends against running on a network share, because file share locking isn't as robust as local locking or a dedicated daemon, but even that would be enough for most people, and still significantly easier to set up and manage. I spent quite a few years administering MySQL, and while it's not terribly difficult to learn for a newcomer, it's not simple, either, and it's a bit of a memory hog.

From SQLite's When To Use page:
SQLite will work over a network filesystem, but because of the latency associated with most network filesystems, performance will not be great. Also, file locking logic is buggy many network filesystem implementations (on both Unix and Windows). If file locking does not work correctly, two or more clients might try to modify the same part of the same database at the same time, resulting in corruption. Because this problem results from bugs in the underlying filesystem implementation, there is nothing SQLite can do to prevent it.

Source: www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

While I agree with everything you are saying, I think at this stage of the game the ComicRack users who are looking to move to a third-party database solution have reached the point that they are willing to accept more complexity & system overhead if it means their databases won't have any chance of corruption. From reading above, it doesn't sound like SQLite is guaranteed to ward off any corruption of the database.

Now, if someone has CRW on their PC and maybe one mobile client or two then definitely SQLite is the way to go, but with the way some of the power users in here have ComicRack accessible from every computer on their network, sharing their libraries far and wide across the internet, and other things that most users wouldn't do, those people will probably need something a little more feature-filled geared towards what they are aiming to accomplish.

I'm just glad we have choices as what's built into ComicRack just isn't working for a lot of people.

No New Updates in Over a Year Now? 2 years 2 months ago #43145

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Isn't mssql compact edition installed with office or some Windows editions by default?
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43147

Innuendo wrote:
Now, if someone has CRW on their PC and maybe one mobile client or two then definitely SQLite is the way to go, but with the way some of the power users in here have ComicRack accessible from every computer on their network, sharing their libraries far and wide across the internet, and other things that most users wouldn't do, those people will probably need something a little more feature-filled geared towards what they are aiming to accomplish.

I'm just glad we have choices as what's built into ComicRack just isn't working for a lot of people.
Oh definitely, especially since it's in there and working now I'd never support the removal of MySQL, I think it's a great for everyone who already has it installed or wants that kind of maximum sharing. It's just weird that support for that would be implemented while it's still XML otherwise, and I can't see it as a universal default. But you're right, at least there's an option now.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by silverbacknet.

No New Updates in 10 Months? 2 years 2 months ago #43152

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
TLDR;

So what is the main problem of the SQL support?
That stuff is not split up in fields and tables?

In my case CR (with SQL) handles about 50k books and does this without any performance issues.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 232 guests and 6 members online