Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windows 10?

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43076

CR works fine in a virtual machine Windows 10 10532 running via Vmware 12 but in my real install it crashes always on launch (BSOD), "page fault in non-paged area".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43080

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Question for those that have upgraded to Windows 10 and have been having problems. ( I ask cause I'm still running XP and doesn't apply to me ) After upgrading Windows, Did you do a fresh install of .NET before installing ComicRack?

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43083

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Fuzzyluzzi wrote:
Question for those that have upgraded to Windows 10 and have been having problems. ( I ask cause I'm still running XP and doesn't apply to me ) After upgrading Windows, Did you do a fresh install of .NET before installing ComicRack?
I'm running CRW on Windows 10 with absolutely no problems till date. Didn't need to install .NET.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43088

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
'Modern' versions of Windows come with .NET pre-installed so a person shouldn't have to install it, but...having said that, if your .NET installation gets corrupted then you may need to re-install to fix the broken file(s).

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43161

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'll say this, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had a flawless upgrade, but I also waited to install CRW on Win 8.1 until the all the updates for Win 8.1 had been downloaded an applied. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 had it's own share of demons for nearly everyone who tried it. The two operating systems are by and large very different. I'm surprised at all that it was even offered as an upgrade option.

I would highly suggest that if you have the option of upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, that you don't do it. Build an install disc and run a fresh install of Windows 10 rather than attempt any type of upgrade. Also, I would more than suggest you get yourself a SSD rather than using a conventional HDD. Win 8.1 and Win 10 were designed to run on the SSD hardware format. If you are using hardware older than about 4 years, it's not worth trying to upgrade at all. While MS boasts that Win 10 runs better on older equipment, I have more than a few friends that are a testament to how much that statement is bull.

Windows 10? 2 years 2 months ago #43172

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
squeedps wrote:
Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 had it's own share of demons for nearly everyone who tried it.

To be brutally honest, installing Windows 10 from any starting point has its own share of demons. Upgrading from Windows 7, Windows 8.x, or even doing a clean install each brings its own set of hoops to jump through. Until they get the installer lined out, a clean install won't save you from problems. Fortunately, the installer will reach out and update itself before installing the OS so it is getting better with each round of patches.
The two operating systems are by and large very different.

Windows 10 is different than anything that came before it, even Windows 8.x. It's like an amalgamation of Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined into something...different. Better in some ways. Worse in others.
I would highly suggest that if you have the option of upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, that you don't do it.

Negative, sir. Anyone who wants a free upgrade to Windows 10 will have to do an upgrade install first so the hash of their equipment can be uploaded to Microsoft & the free upgrade/activation to register. Once that's done, though, you're free to blast your hard drive to dust and do a clean install. You'll be registered and activated by the time you hit the desktop usually.
Also, I would more than suggest you get yourself a SSD rather than using a conventional HDD. Win 8.1 and Win 10 were designed to run on the SSD hardware format. If you are using hardware older than about 4 years, it's not worth trying to upgrade at all.

Most of my hardware is 4+ years old. I do run an SSD as my boot drive and have a 'respectable' graphics card & Win 10 is as fast or faster than Windows 7 ever was. Get an SSD and and a decent graphics card & those seem to be the most important factors in having a good experience with Windows 10.

I keep shopping around to upgrade my desktop, but until I start running across programs/games/OSes that my current setup can't handle I think it'd be a frivolous purchase. I am thinking about upgrading from 6 GB of RAM to 12 or 18, though.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds

Who's Online

We have 238 guests and 5 members online