Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Terrible program, changes files without notice

Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 5 months ago #3912

• plb1
  • Fresh Boarder
This is really terrible. A program should never change files without a warning. Beside that the program is way too slow to be useful and the interface is cumbersome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 5 months ago #3914

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Another satified customer.
We at ComicRack are happy to have your feedback.
We're very glad you've been enjoying our product so much already and will do our best to impliment the features you have requested.
In the next build one of the major features will be that on startup, ComicRack will replace all your comics with lolcats, to save you both time and the trouble of searching for such things yourself.
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 5 months ago #3944

• mr.clix
  • Junior Boarder
  • Bang! Bang!
Captain, I'm detecting unusually high levels of sarcasm in this sector.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #3962

• Alien
  • Fresh Boarder
Fain wrote:
Another satified customer.
We at ComicRack are happy to have your feedback.
We're very glad you've been enjoying our product so much already and will do our best to impliment the features you have requested.
In the next build one of the major features will be that on startup, ComicRack will replace all your comics with lolcats, to save you both time and the trouble of searching for such things yourself

:laugh:
No crops were circled, or animals mutilated in the making of this sig.
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Alien.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #3998

• imsabbel3
  • Senior Boarder
The point remains, though.
Alternate file streams are great, but nothing that changes the hash of a file should be done without explicit warning...

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #3999

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
I'm very inclinced to agree with you.
However, I'm going to point out right away the difference between you post and his.
He is just outright bashing the program blabbering on about how horrible it is how it shouldn't change the files at all without giving a single reason for why a program shouldn't change a files contents without warning.
Therefore he gets a massive amount of sarcasism directed at him and is generally dismissed.'
You do a much better job about pointing this flaw out, but also don't provide reason.

A program shouldn't change files without reason for well, alot of reasons. As imsabbel3 mentions here is a program changes the hash of a file, which will happen anytime it is modified, even slightly, then other programs that might have been using the files hash as an anchor point so to speak, sudden loose track of the file.
Torrent programs would be a good one that come right to mind.
If CR modifies a file comic file you currently have torrented then the torrent gets angry at you and says the files no longer exist.

Protip here: Don't make CR look at folders you don't want modified.
Super Protip: Don't point programs you aren't fully familur with at files you don't want modified
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #4019

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
plb1 wrote:
This is really terrible. A program should never change files without a warning. Beside that the program is way too slow to be useful and the interface is cumbersome.

You say - interface is cumbersome... I hear - There's too many features for me to figure out how to use this.

...and I am assuming the option to turn off writing to files is one of the things you couldn't find?

You really would be better off to use your very first post on any forum to ask some questions vs. stream of conscious complaining.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #4025

• plb1
  • Fresh Boarder
I know my post may seem harsh but IMO this is a pretty serious flaw. This way it does get attention. Though no harm was done because I make a daily backup of all my data. The reason why changing files is bad in this case is indeed mainly file sharing, but in general a program should not alter your data without warning. I don't know if this program can be trusted, and it may result in loss of data. Besides, I may use certain compression settings for my files for whatever reason.

I hope this feature will be deactivated by default, and give explicit warning on activation.

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #4036

• imsabbel3
  • Senior Boarder
Nah, i was just playing advocatus diaboli.

While i have no problem with it modifying some files, i could very well understand that somebody might be pissed if all the edonkey hashes are broken now, for example.
Comicrack is not that forthcoming with information in that example.

The rest of the post was of course just angry blubbering (which could of course be coloured by the situation. If you lost lots of work you put into organizing your collection, because the program you tried out killed the metadata associatin of your normal program, you might not be very rational at that point...

Otherwise, what IS up with comicrack metadata? For example, _some_ information seems not to be stored in the alternative file steams. At least the ratings of files were gone after the comicrack main database broke up and i re-added the files...

Re:Terrible program, changes files without notice 8 years 4 months ago #4048

• pcvii
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the whole idea that Comic Rack tags the comic files. I was thinking how nice it would be to have such a feature that we have had in our music files for so long. I believe in the future most things will have a tag system.

When you Tag mp3s in winamp you have to open the dialog and change the settings then save. And sometimes comicrack will go ahead and throw a default xml in the files it can. The files will be modified to tag the comics.

I guess if you wouldn't want winamp to save your settings to the mp3s you just don't have to do anything. Maybe comicrack should be the same way. you have to run a script or use the tag editor before it saves an xml to the file? or something.

It doesn't bother me at all though. I think the xml's going into these things is the way it should be. I wish the people who release of comics or manga would pre-tag these files for us.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Who's Online

We have 254 guests and one member online