Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: (OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics

(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3950

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I was not very sure where to post this, so I labelled it as off-topic...

This is something I've thinking of, and I am no sure if it is worth pursuing, and would like to get some comments...

Despite the script I am developing to get comic info from ComicVine, I have had this idea on the back of my mind for a while. Well, most comics (all those managed by Diamond distributions) have barcodes... could this be used to catalog them regarless of how they are named...?

This would require:

- reading the barcode from the jpeg... I think this is doable, there are libraries for that, even for python...

- linking the barcode info to a database... this is the hardest part... I do not think this information is public (on Diamond's part) and none of the open databases seem to offer a field for this info...

I read comicbase could do this, using a barcode reader and their own database... I downloaded the free trial to see if I could fool it into reading a jpeg, but I could not even find the option to enter barcodes through the barcode scanner they sell.

Just a little food for tought! :P
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3956

• greenlanternprime
  • Expert Boarder
  • Me Grimlock.. Bad Ass!
I have barcode information in my test database, but there is one major problem, comic book barcodes are not standard, they get reused and are not uniquie like isbn's.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3957

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Indeed.

It would end up being more work than it was worth I believe.

There has been discussion in the past of standardizing the comic book format in the past on these boards, or developing a format more suited to storing comic book meta data.

I think that would be a better path to look into for now.

It is an awesome idea tho.
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3958

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I see!

Thanks for the info! I really thought those were intended to be unique!

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3959

• greenlanternprime
  • Expert Boarder
  • Me Grimlock.. Bad Ass!
It's just a bit of a dodgy area, barcodes with comics is incosittant. comic base says it works and it kinda does, there is another app that IntelliScanner sell which claims the same, but they are both very expensive, Comic collectoz has a filed for it but no data, but is realtily cheap.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #3989

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
So why don't comics have their own ISBNs? Is it because they still aren't recognized as a literary source by scholars?

Onyx X aka SoundWave

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #4057

• Sopoforic
  • Junior Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
So why don't comics have their own ISBNs? Is it because they still aren't recognized as a literary source by scholars?

No, that's silly. In fact, I think you'll find that scholars regard comics as a literary source more than the general public. Comics could have their own ISBNs; all that's needed is for the publisher to apply for one. The cost is around $1800 for 1000 ISBNs, IIRC.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #4061

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
OK, so then if this is the case, why don't publishers use ISBNs since they seem to be the universal standard for cataloging and tracking commercial literary works? Granted, the cost aren’t cheap, but I think that they are well within a price range that makes since to use them with all levels of comics instead of just HC/SC graphic novels and trade paperbacks.

Onyx X aka SoundWave
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #4062

• Sopoforic
  • Junior Boarder
Actually, the standard for serials like comics would be ISSN rather than ISBN (though both can be used). I haven't got any recent comics to check whether they have an ISSN, though.

As for why they wouldn't have them... who knows? Complain to the publisher that it's making it hard to catalogue your collection, and maybe they'll listen. That's all we can do, anyway.

Re:(OT) Crazy Idea for cataloging comics 8 years 4 months ago #4063

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
It's not just a matter of it being hard to catalogue collections, because there are plenty of software solutions out there that does the job quite well, which for being a free app, ComicRack is at the top of my list.
As far as I see, it's more of a benefit for the comics industry as a whole, because more retailers would carry/sell their products because the standard would allow them to efficiently track their inventory and sales data as they already do with other commercial literature. This would increase their sales rate potentially at least 2 or 3 fold.
So for me, it's not a matter of complaining, because it's doesn't really bother me. it's more of a matter of getting as many of the books out there for more individuals to enjoy, dramatically increase exposure and raise the art form to a new level. The whole industry needs to capitalize on the attention and exposure that Hollywood is bringing by utilizing an already existing format for tracking books to sell more of them.
Then we, as collectors, get the free side benefit of being able to more easily catalogue our collections.

Just food for thought.
Onyx X aka SoundWave
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Who's Online

We have 261 guests and one member online