Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today.

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45248

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
"There was a problem opening the Comic Database. A new empty database has been created."

This must be a new feature. Is the non-empty database just gone now? Do I just start over (Not gonna happen-Not worth it)?

I get the impression that this happens allot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45252

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Skullberry wrote:
"There was a problem opening the Comic Database. A new empty database has been created."

This must be a new feature. Is the non-empty database just gone now? Do I just start over (Not gonna happen-Not worth it)?

I get the impression that this happens allot.

I have my database on a SQL server and I've seen this when the server was busy and it took too long to bring up the database. Normally if I wait a bit and restart it, it will load fine. It should't actually delete or modify your ogiginal database. Now it is possible the database is corrupted or in some bad state though.

Are you using local DB or SQL DB?

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45254

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
As the database gets bigger this can be a timeout issue. I have had this a number of times.

Find your Comicrack.ini file in your appdata folder (usually a hidden folder)
Locate the line starting "DataSource"
Double the default command timeout value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45257

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
krandor wrote:

I have my database on a SQL server and I've seen this when the server was busy and it took too long to bring up the database. Normally if I wait a bit and restart it, it will load fine. It should't actually delete or modify your ogiginal database. Now it is possible the database is corrupted or in some bad state though.

Are you using local DB or SQL DB?

I've read your question a few times and...after much thought...my answer would have to be..."Do what?"

After doing some reading and checking to see what was lost...the damage isn't as bad as I thought. The library and smart lists are gone but the scrapes are still present in the files. I started with just one folder of comics (Dark Horse) To get the hang of scraping and scripts and smart lists and what not. My next step was to try the backup organizer script. I wanted to have something to actually back up before I bothered with it. I wasn't expecting an issue with data loss or corrupted files so soon. Since I subscribe to the Burn-your-hand-on-the-stove-first method of learning, this'll be a fine time to give the backup script a shot. It seems all I really need to do is re-add the Dark Horse folder and remake the 3 or 4 smart lists I had. It was the scarping I dreaded. All that seems fine since I set the scraper to save info to the files.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Skullberry.

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45260

• El Guapo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I thought comicrack did regular backups of the DB also so you can look in relevant paths for the backup file and restore the last one if you wanted to.
But it doesn't sound you lost much, still something to be aware of for future.

You can of course back up manually and save these yourself after reading so you know the backup is fully up to date. I use a local DB with 90% of scraped data in zips and never had an issue even with power cuts but you can bet your ass I'm going to backup right now that I said that.

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45267

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
El Guapo wrote:
I thought comicrack did regular backups of the DB also so you can look in relevant paths for the backup file and restore the last one if you wanted to.
But it doesn't sound you lost much, still something to be aware of for future.

You can of course back up manually and save these yourself after reading so you know the backup is fully up to date. I use a local DB with 90% of scraped data in zips and never had an issue even with power cuts but you can bet your ass I'm going to backup right now that I said that.

Where would these relevant paths for automatic backups be? After checking I've noticed that Comicrack hasn't been backing up automatically. After setting it up to do so and performing a back up I see that a backup zipfile is created in my download folder. I've looked for files that should be in the appdata\roaming\cyo\ path and can find no such path. No appdata or roaming or cyo.

Is that weird?
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Skullberry.

A funny thing happened when I turned on comicrack today. 1 year 7 months ago #45269

• El Guapo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've had a look it may not be obvious as it doesn't compress the backup or change the name format like it does when you manually perform a backup from the settings dialog.

Here is the folder path on my system;

C:\Users\ [your user name] \AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack

What it does is rename ComicDb.xml to ComicDb.xml.bak
I don't know what frequency it performs this backup at, I have modified my DB today and the XML file and the BAK have the same date and time.

I assume this file would be created in the same path as where your database is stored. It's been a while since I went through the configuration and I know I was trying to use multiple config files and a 2nd instance of comicrack but I think the given path is the default installation option. So if you don't have the ComicDb.xml in the roaming path I would say that is weird unless you are running from an SQL server or you have changed the DB path within the comicrack.ini file. (Both of these actions are additional steps to be performed manually and I would assume you would be aware if you had done either.)
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 171 guests and 3 members online