Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Lost everything - think I know why

Lost everything - think I know why 1 year 6 months ago #45397

• beardyandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all, I'm an idiot...

I'll try to keep it short. Installed on windows and happily scaped and sorted about 2K old comics. Learned a lot.

Realised it was time to backup everything and looked into the backup script. Installed it.

Now, being a noob; Although I thought I'd closed and opened the program a few times I didn't realise that it minimised to the windows dock, rather than closing. In a moment of idiocy I closed two versions of it and I suspect the first may have been a much earlier version,

When I opened it... it's all gone.

First off - have I got the reason for the loss correct? Would that save the database as blank. I have no backup sadly.

I'd just redo it all but I the main reason that I'd like to get it back is that the old forlder and filename structure had 01, 02 starting the filenames which showed the sequence in big crossovers and these were in the DB as alternate numbering. The thought of redoing them makes me cry.

Don't suppose people have smartlists (or similar) of crossovers somewhere to replace them?

Also - I recognise I'm very late to all this. Is this still the right tool to be investing my time to? Hope I don't offend anyone but I'd welcome alternatives; scraping information if vital. Having a quick look on the forum it's not massively active but is this perhaps because it's quite a niche tool?

Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lost everything - think I know why 1 year 6 months ago #45398

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I am assuming you are looking at the comicdb.xml file in the \appdata\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack folder. By change is there a comicdb.xml.bak file in there? is it larger then your .xml one? if so rename that to comicdb.xml and delete the other one. that should restore your database.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beardyandy

Lost everything - think I know why 1 year 6 months ago #45402

• beardyandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.

I was looking at that file but I think the backup was exactly the same size.

I'm not by the machine at the moment so I will check. I may be underestimating the file size... need to check the thumbnails location.

Either way, thanks to the dev (/s) for this great toy. Really helpful. The main software, the comicvine script and library sorter.

And huge thanks to the kind man that wrote the manual (600?). I'm having trouble with the forum so apologies for not finding your names but it's all been really helpful
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Who's Online

We have 246 guests and 3 members online