Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tags Tags Tags.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45618

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the "Tag" field. I've done some searching and even found a thread where 600 was wrestling with what he wanted to use it for. It was an old thread. I've seen a bunch of people that use it to group a bunch of series together (the "Bat family" books being gathered under a tag "Gotham").
I thought that that was the purpose of the "Series Group" field. (Batman, Detective comics, Gotham Knights all being under the "Gotham" series group field. I see some putting the character of a series in the "Tag" field. (Deadpool in the Tag for the Deadpool series, Batman for the Tag in the field for Detective Comics.)
I thought that was the purpose of the "Main character" field.
I see folks simply putting the series name in the Tags field. Obviously I thought that's what the Series field was for.

I also saw one description stating that the Tags field was for whatever we feel like using it for. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what I wanna use it for. I feel like I'm missing something.

Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45619

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
I really don't use tags, but I think the idea if tags is to asign atteibutes to a comic that doesn't have anything to do with the main structure, but add information that xould be use for searches...

For example, if I wanted to put a tag for comics that are out if continuity, or comics that have x topic in it, or comics that are in universe 616, or comics that part of an event.... Etc... Thing that escape your main structure fields...

What is great about tags, is that you can add as many you want, and you don't suppose to have them in all comics... They aren't fields to complete in every comics, but things you add por specific ones...

Just thing of tags as things you would search that comic for... As when you add a video to youtube...

Fir example, you finish reading a comic, where aquaman fights batman, and you are interested in comic battles, you coul add aquaman vs batman as a tag, and the when you look for this tag you will find this comic easily...
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Xelloss.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45620

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
As has been stated think of tags as something other than data but instead as ways of ear marking comics. Before my database was as full and detailed as it is now I used to tag all sorts of things, for example I used to tag the concept like Now! or New52 but I slowly migrated most of these into fields or custom fields.

Now I have a few tags that I use consistently.

Pause
I tag files as pause to filter them out of my syncs. Foe example if you are reading all the current comics of a publisher you could setup a list to sync that transfers all of them onto your device, but occasionally I want to do the equivalent of trade waiting, where I only read a story when all of that story arc is available. So I mark all of the issues I don't want to read yet as Pause and filter them out of my smart list.

Event
I often do exactly the same with crossovers and events but I use a different tag.

I also have a few tags that act a bit like a more fuzzy format field like Ashcan, Book, Art, compilation, Index, Pages Missing, OGN, Reprint etc.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45627

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
Xelloss wrote:
I really don't use tags, but I think the idea if tags is to assign attributes to a comic that doesn't have anything to do with the main structure, but add information that could be use for searches.
jkthemac wrote:
As has been stated think of tags as something other than data but instead as ways of ear marking comics. Before my database was as full and detailed as it is now I used to tag all sorts of things, for example I used to tag the concept like Now! or New52 but I slowly migrated most of these into fields or custom fields.

I think about it pretty much the same as you guys do...but I see so many people putting so much work into tags that I feel like i must be missing some kind of boat on the subject. There is even a mass tagger script around.

I have a problem that I'm not sure how to address, crossovers. Maybe tags can help me with it.

Let's say you have a crossover issue...let's say JLA/Wildcats. (I'm a 90's Image comics nut...sue me.). It's a book published solely by DC at a time when Wildstorm was still an imprint of Image Comics. I'd like to put it as in both a JLA AND a Wildcats series group. But Library Organizer will then try to place one file in two different folders.

Correct? Should I make copies of crossovers? Is this a job for fileless issues? (That's another thing I don't understand, fileless issues.)

Can I have more than one tag per issue? Will "JLA, Wildcats" work? 2 tags seperated by a comma?

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45632

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Skullberry wrote:
I have a problem that I'm not sure how to address, crossovers. Maybe tags can help me with it.
Honestly you can handle crossovers in whatever way you feel is most efficient for you. There are so many different ways that you can track them. By way of the "Story Arc" field, "Alternate Series or Storyline Title" and its associated "Number" and "of" fields, Tags field, and/or Custom fields.
Skullberry wrote:
Let's say you have a crossover issue...let's say JLA/Wildcats. (I'm a 90's Image comics nut...sue me.). It's a book published solely by DC at a time when Wildstorm was still an imprint of Image Comics. I'd like to put it as in both a JLA AND a Wildcats series group. But Library Organizer will then try to place one file in two different folders.

Correct? Should I make copies of crossovers? Is this a job for fileless issues?
Personally, I wouldn't track it that way. I mean, what is the real purpose for trying to track it in multiple series groups? Instead of doing that, I would instead have two smartlists...one for JLA and one for WildC.A.T.s. That way, the same books for that one series show up in both list of books. Though, it's all up to you my friend on what you think is best for you.
Skullberry wrote:
(That's another thing I don't understand, fileless issues.)
Think of fileless issues as place holders for books that you don't actually have yet. That way you can track info on books even though you don't actually have a digital version of it yet. For example if you want to track books that have just be recently release but you don't own them yet, or say you own physical books, but not digital versions of them...you could have a fileless versions of those physical books so that you can track them in your collection.
Skullberry wrote:
Can I have more than one tag per issue? Will "JLA, Wildcats" work? 2 tags seperated by a comma?
You can have as many tags per issue as you'd like just as Xelloss stated. Yes, separate each Tag with a comma. Just like you would for the Writer, Penciler, Inker, Genre, etc.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by oraclexview.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45633

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
Coolio, all that works for me. You guys rock!

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45634

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
Skullberry wrote:

Correct? Should I make copies of crossovers? Is this a job for fileless issues?
Personally, I wouldn't track it that way. I mean, what is the real purpose for trying to track it in multiple series groups? Instead of doing that, I would instead have two smartlists...one for JLA and one for WildC.A.T.s. That way, the same books for that one series show up in both list of books. Though, it's all up to you my friend on what you think is best for you.

I guess what I was trying to do is have a crossover issue be represented in the file tree as well as the smart list. I was thinking a fileless issue might do that. I see what you saying though, let Comicrack do all of the specialized organizing.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45636

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Skullberry wrote:
I think about it pretty much the same as you guys do...but I see so many people putting so much work into tags that I feel like i must be missing some kind of boat on the subject. There is even a mass tagger script around.

Tags are still pretty useful for ad-hoc marking of files. Even though I downplay them above I still use over 20 different tags. A lot of them are just made when I want to mark things for later attention. For example I was interested in issues that had a specific character as a guest star, and rather than rely upon Comic Vine' character list, it was quicker to just mark them all with the character name in tags. That way I can either peruse them later / update the character details later / or just leave them there and forget because tags are not that important.

In the past I lobbied for a link list of references via a "Read Next" field, so you could have multiple pointers as branch points. It was not picked up. If anyone ever wanted to implement this kind of thing as a script it would be so useful.

I envisaged a field like this:

Read Next: <comicvine_issue 1>, <comicvine_issue2>, comcvine_issue 3>

and some form of graphic view in the sidebar that allows you to choose where to go next based on the current selection.

That would be the simple option, another option would be to name the strand:

Read Next: [Ongoing, <comicvine_issue 1>], [Event1, <comicvine_issue 2>], [Event2, <comicvine_issue 2>], [Character1, <comicvine_issue 3>], [Chronology1, <comicvine_issue 4>]

This would have to advantage of being able to order a strand in a view or smart list script.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45638

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
Skullberry wrote:

Tags are still pretty useful for ad-hoc marking of files. Even though I downplay them above I still use over 20 different tags. A lot of them are just made when I want to mark things for later attention. For example I was interested in issues that had a specific character as a guest star, and rather than rely upon Comic Vine' character list, it was quicker to just mark them all with the character name in tags. That way I can either peruse them later / update the character details later / or just leave them there and forget because tags are not that important.

In the past I lobbied for a link list of references via a "Read Next" field, so you could have multiple pointers as branch points. It was not picked up. If anyone ever wanted to implement this kind of thing as a script it would be so useful.

I envisaged a field like this:

Read Next: <comicvine_issue 1>, <comicvine_issue2>, comcvine_issue 3>

and some form of graphic view in the sidebar that allows you to choose where to go next based on the current selection.

That would be the simple option, another option would be to name the strand:

Read Next: [Ongoing, <comicvine_issue 1>], [Event1, <comicvine_issue 2>], [Event2, <comicvine_issue 2>], [Character1, <comicvine_issue 3>], [Chronology1, <comicvine_issue 4>]

This would have to advantage of being able to order a strand in a view or smart list script.

I love this idea. It would give a reading order to smartlists. I'm always googling "reading orders" I downloaded a Hellboy chronology that was organized chronologically (Each short story is removed from it's issue and arranged in order. Brilliant!) for that very reason. Someday I'll read it.

I think I figured out why folks tag the crap out of issues. Using my JLA/Wildcats reference, if you tag that issue "JLA, Wildcats" and then create a JLA smart list using tags the only thing that will show up would be that issue unless you tag every other JLA issue with JLA. (Insert forehead smack here)
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Skullberry.

Tags Tags Tags. 1 year 5 months ago #45641

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Skullberry wrote:
I love this idea. It would give a reading order to smartlists. I'm always googling "reading orders" I downloaded a Hellboy chronology that was organized chronologically (Each short story is removed from it's issue and arranged in order. Brilliant!) for that very reason. Someday I'll read it.

I think I figured out why folks tag the crap out of issues. Using my JLA/Wildcats reference, if you tag that issue "JLA, Wildcats" and then create a JLA smart list using tags the only thing that will show up would be that issue unless you tag every other JLA issue with JLA. (Insert forehead smack here)
Based on what you want to do, that super complex script that jkthemac suggested isn't really needed for you. Instead of tagging every issue with JLA, just create smartlist that looks for JLA in the title (and every iteration of JLA that you'd prefer such as "Justice League America" and "Justice League of America") field or in the Character field. As far as the reading order goes, you can also utilize the "Alternate Series or Storyline Title" and its associated "Number" and "of" fields for the reading order.
I don't know if smartlist now take Custom fields into account as well, yet if they do, then it's sky the limits because you can just create a Custom field that tracks the reading order just the way you want if the above method isn't good enough.
There are a lot of existing fields that can help you achieve what you want.

For my collection, I only use Tags to track info on book covers, and that's because I like to read that Tags field in the file rename script to add the cover version info to the file name. I may eventually start storing this info in a Custom field instead in the future, but for now, the Tags field works for me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Who's Online

We have 745 guests and 4 members online