Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: "Minimum donation is 15" Why

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45932

• flimflam
  • Fresh Boarder
Honestly, if you're going to demand $15 to stop the harassment, why not just be honest and upfront and charge for a $15 license from the beginning, and then add a dono link under Help or whatever for the really generous people? This is just so much more indicative of poor character than the upfront charge for everyone. Annoying people into giving you money, rather than standing on the quality of your product alone and selling it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45933

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
I never really thought that was intentional, but I happily paid it for the product. I used it for months without paying. I mean isn't it just the opening of the program pop up and that's it? I don't recall it being that annoying.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45934

• flimflam
  • Fresh Boarder
It's more the combination of the annoyance of the popup, and the gall of making the minimum donation $15. If you think this is "The best comic reader in the world" and worth $15, great. I am a pure capitalist. If you've made a product, sell the HELL out of that product. Charge a onetime $15 license fee and then make it clear in a totally unobtrusive way (not a popup) that your really appreciative users can donate even more. You could also do the 2 week/30 day free trial thing that many other paid apps do, to get new customers in the door. That way, you're standing on the strength of your app. It's upfront, honest, saying "this is good enough to warrant this amount of money, so I'm going to require that amount of money". But no, instead you get the digital equivalent of a poke in the ribs every time you open the program "hey, gimme some money. hey, gimme some money. hey, can i have some money?" It is so much worse because the incentive changes from "unfettered access to this really nice program" to "oh my god shut up here take my money if it will just shut you up". And when you finall have reached peak annoyance, and decide to give some money to shut up the repeated asking, you find that the BARE MINIMUM "donation" you can give is basically what one would expect to be flatout charged for such a program anyhow.

EDIT: Also, what did you not think was intentional? The popup?
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by flimflam.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45936

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
When I donated, forever ago, it let you put in the amount. I'd put in like 5 bucks and it went up to 15 when I actually got into paypal, I figured that wasn't intentional. Seems like it was haha.

I think they went the other way with it. They aren't making this their life and only work on it in their spare time. Aside from major break/fix I don't think they've been doing much. Anything that comes in is great, but they gotta make a living for reals. I keep saying they, I think it might be just the one person haha. I could totally be wrong, just what I gathered from poking around the forums. Still the best working one I've used, and I've tried a good number of them. The scraper for YAC wasn't even in the ballpark usually haha

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45937

• flimflam
  • Fresh Boarder
Kuraiholy wrote:
I think they went the other way with it. They aren't making this their life and only work on it in their spare time. Aside from major break/fix I don't think they've been doing much.
I would hope this doesn't become the focus of their life's work. Nothing about what I said should actually change the workload. Because the producer of the program is still basically seeking the same $15 for use of the program as anyone would expect. I'm just suggesting being a bit more forthright about it. Putting a product you really believe is worth money behind a paywall is totally acceptable. Even if the children of these younger generations, having been on the net most of their lives, expect everything to be free.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45938

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
Ah yeah I get you. I'm mostly saying it's being sent "as-is". If they outright charged for it they'd be responsible for fixing it within a stricter time constraint and a lot of self-entitled people getting angry at them...because they paid good money for a product etc etc. Less pressure if it's just a donation to get rid of a one time pop-up per boot, is what I meant haha

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45939

• flimflam
  • Fresh Boarder
See, if I "donated" $15 to the producer just to use the program how I wanted, I'd feel pretty damn entitled to the owner getting his ass in gear to fix it as well.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45952

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
As I am the "producer":
It is a donation that shows that you value all the work put over the years into this.
It has the added benefit of removing the donation reminder dialog.
The program is fully functional without a donation - there is no limitation in any way.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #45954

To prevent negative chargebacks. For example, a donation of $1 when refunded or claimed as part of wrong transaction maybe charged a chargeback of $10-20.

EDIT: My comment is really out of place since it deals with only payment mechanics.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DayvidPomeranz.

"Minimum donation is 15" Why 1 year 3 months ago #46034

• Reason
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the paid version on my Android phone and would like to use google play credit to donate to unlock the windows version...is there a way to do that?
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds

Who's Online

We have 245 guests and 3 members online