Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 3 weeks ago #46213

• shpanky
  • Junior Boarder
Seems like there's not been any activity on this project since early this year. I'm now having loads of problems with the manager tool under windows 10 (font sizes, missing labels in view mode, etc...) which have been brought up for several months but nothing has been done. If comicrack is dead, what other options are available?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 3 weeks ago #46242

• berolo
  • Fresh Boarder
I hope not

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 3 weeks ago #46245

• MattL211
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have posted this in the mac request thread as well but wanted as many people to see my plea

It appears to me that the developer no longer has time to maintain the CR program, let alone create a version for Mac. I appreciate that life can get very busy and those things that were once so important in life, have to take a back seat. There is a fantastic CR community and many people would love to maintain and enhance what is a great program and app. Can the developer entrust someone with the updating of the CR program/apps and develop a native mac version or release the code so this wonderful program can move with times and the demands of its paying users.
This is not a criticism of the developer in anyway, just a plea to keep CR alive and current. I appreciate that CR is the developers baby, but as every parent knows sometimes you have to let go of your baby in order to let them grow. Please don't let CR die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnKFisher

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 3 weeks ago #46247

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 226
Reading between the lines. If there was further development it would be in the direction of using SQL in a more efficient manner. This was the direction it was heading before the project slowed down, and that would effectively require a rewrite as opposed to an incremental update. So we have had maintenance versions when problems occurred, but there is probably a branched version on the development desk that is not in a publishable form and is only worked on intermittently.

Because this is a private project I can't imagine somebody farming out the old version while they worked on an all new version.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by jkthemac.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 3 weeks ago #46251

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I don't think it's dead. It's just a pet project. The author chimes in from time to time I've noticed. I'm not around here that much and I've noticed that.

I'm guessing/hoping what JK says is what's going on. SQL would be more efficient (I just created a thread about the time it takes to exit after modifying stuff), so let's hope it's that.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 3 weeks ago #46503

• dreagan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I think it's fair to say that this project is dead. There hasn't been a change in the android app for a very long time, even though people have started complaining about bugs and what not years ago. The windows desktop app hasn't had any major updates in a while now, even though the list of bugs and feature request have been piling up.

I'm not badmouthing the dev, I understand he has a life he wants to live, if he wants to focus on other stuff, that's none of my beezwax.

But it would be awesome (no omega awesome) if he would make this project open source so other people could improve on the ComicRack project, since I think he doesn't really make any real money off of the donate buttons...
Or even just closed source, with a couple of trusted henchmen doing all of the work for him, even that would be fine.

But right now, it's a shame that this is just dying a slow death. There aren't any noteworthy successors for ComicRack, but I'm betting people won't want to be stuck with soon to be ancient software, and it would be a real shame if other dev's had to start from scratch, seeing how many features this reader / library already has.

I've been lurking in these fora now and then, just hoping the dev would come back and make some kind of ressurection speech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jakez, SoccerDad91016

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 3 weeks ago #46511

• Yhoogi
  • Fresh Boarder
I hope also it is not dead

Finding an alternative and - horror - finding a way to migrate the database would be not very funny
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Yhoogi.

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 2 weeks ago #46786

• Plingbrix
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd say it's dead. Feb 2016 was the last update and the dev hasn't been seen since Oct 27 2016 which was 5 months ago

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 5 days ago #46850

• dvpbe
  • Fresh Boarder
Release the code please. There are no alternatifs :(

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 4 days ago #46853

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I'm curious by people begging for updates. I've seen this before. Updates have made programs unusable before for me. Hell, one Window's update almost bricked a PC. I still use XP as I have a dated machine. Hasn't seen an update from Microsoft in the past 2 years. ComicRack still works great. The plugins get support from their designers. Cosmetically it is dated, yes. But that doesn't make it dead.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Who's Online

We have 183 guests and one member online