Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48871

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
fieldhouse wrote:
Same story here. I had to jump to using a database instead of xml just out of necessity. I later had to move mysql off of my Synology NAS since it was too slow and queries were timing out. Now that mysql is backed by an SSD and has a couple hundred megs to play with my only complaint is the memory usage on the client side. I just checked and ComicRack us using ~ 4GB RAM. I'm sure that's partly my fault for loading up plugins, etc. and I'm sure >600k files isn't helping either.

I used to have major memory isssues which I thought was the size of my library and while part of it the big issue was number of smartlists. I went through and trimmed the number of smartlists and combined a few and memory usage dropped like a rock. So it is more then just number of comics that comes into play.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48872

• Wilber
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
... trimmed the number of smartlists and combined a few and memory usage dropped like a rock.

Absolutely! Good reminder.
Smartlists are a big memory hit, especially if they are complex.
Smartlist management is a big deal, and the fewer you need the better.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48873

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
Tip: If you put smartlist in folders, configure folders to show nothing, and contract them, for comicrack it will be as if the smartlists don't exist... at least in some ways (I don't know if that affect memmory, but it affect CPU usage A LOT)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Xelloss.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48874

• Oberon1464
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Xellos, could you explain precisely what you mean how tou did it?

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48875

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Something I recently learned from somone in this forum...

Just create a folder in your library, then right click, edit, and select "empty folder" to hide the comics when you select it

Then add all the "heavy" smartlist there...

Now if the folder is "closed" (hide the content with the arrow at the left), comicrack will not calculate the comics in those lists... making the library A LOT smoother when dealing with many smartlist....

Just use the folder stratures to show and hide only the lists you need and you will see a lot of difference in performance

This is extra helpful when you for example update files, as every time a files is updated all active smartlist will recalculate their content... By hiding smartlists update many comics is just instantaneous...
The following user(s) said Thank You: LoLyfe

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48876

• pueblo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Xelloss wrote:
Tip: If you put smartlist in folders, configure folders to show nothing, and contract them, for comicrack it will be as if the smartlists don't exist... at least in some ways (I don't know if that affect memmory, but it affect CPU usage A LOT)

Second this!
Additionally I disabled live counters. I'm not sure but It seems that smartlist are recalculated only if live counters are on. Anyway disabling them helped me greatly.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48877

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
pueblo wrote:
Xelloss wrote:

Second this!
Additionally I disabled live counters. I'm not sure but It seems that smartlist are recalculated only if live counters are on. Anyway disabling them helped me greatly.

Didn't know this!

So if you disable live counters... they only refresh when manually refresh??

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #48878

• pueblo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Unfortunately, if you disable them, they are not visible at all :( But for me performance gain is worth it.

Another thing worth tweaking is ComicRack.ini file.
For me these settings are working the best:
EnableParallelQueries = false
QueryCacheMode = Disabled
DisableBackgroundQueryCacheUpdate = true
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 1 week ago #49170

• nfp1971
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So, comicrack is dead. RIP.
Is anyone capable of reaching to Cyo?
Would someone be able to start a campaign on kickstarter (or other crowdfunding platform) to raise money (YES REAL MONEY) to buy comicrack code from Cyo (obviously real life caught up to him, but he deserves to be paid for all the work he made this past years) and then publish it into open-software with GPL license or another license?
I don't know how to do it, but i wouldn't mind helping, and of course i would give money to the campaign.

In the mean time and since comicrack isn't being update i personally have started to use YacReader (don't know any other alternative, if someone does please advice as long as it is not calibre. I use calibre for e-books and magazines but don't find it adequate for comics.)

i use comicrack on a W10 Vm inside macOS, so of course i would like to have a native macOS program, like YacReader and Calibre.

Best Regards and i hope and have not offended anyone with my suggestions.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by nfp1971.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss, Haired, JohnKFisher

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 1 week ago #49173

I know I'd contribute to that.
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Who's Online

We have 260 guests and 3 members online