Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49192

• Wilber
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We don't want to invade his privacy, but we do want to keep his project alive.
Perhaps we can hire a plane to drop leaflets over his house begging for his return? (it is non-digital after all)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49193

• alext41
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Haired wrote:
Markus Eisenstoeck
Gerhild-Diesner-Str. 10
6020 Innsbruck
Austria
twitter.com/cyolito
ru.pinterest.com/cyolito/
at.linkedin.com/in/markus-eisenstoeck-52832962

I think it will be hard to contact him:
My One Year Sabbatical Starts Now
Veröffentlicht am Veröffentlicht am1. Februar 2018

Time to open up the Horizon inwards and outwards.

Let's see where we end up in 12 Months :)

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49194

• huffj
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm wondering who is paying to keep this forum and the CR website alive. Have we discussed a meeting place if we find this site shut down one day? It may be a good idea to set up a Face Book group or something as a contingency.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haired

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49195

• jaydenv
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
www.reddit.com/r/comicrackusers/ <--- Thats our backup
The following user(s) said Thank You: huffj, Wilber

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49204

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Guys, ComicRack is dead... Cyo hasn't been on this forum, ACTIVELY, for well over a year and one of his last posts was "I can't do this any more". No one has heard from him or been able to successfully contact him in a long time. Let's leave him alone. If he wanted to deal with us, this is where he would be, just like he was in the past.

Hopefully, a new project will emerge that will replace ComicRack, but CR is dead.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 1 week ago #49205

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 144
It's probable CYo is finished with CR, but that doesn't mean CR has to end THERE

I think that that is the idea of this topic :)

In the other hand, when you have been involved in emulation and mods comunities, you know that a project can be in hiatus for YEARS and then revive... It happens all the time. Specially in comunnities that are still active and softwares that continue working flawlessly

I think we were to used to CYo continue keeping things active and changing all the time... 1 or 2 years is not THAT much time when you are talking about a piece of software :P

Also, apart from the portable versions, it is not as if the program was in URGENT need of update... Most things that got broken during these last years where about scripts and they continue updating :P

All in all I think the big problem here is that the CR community is still TOO ACTIVE, and the software developing is not... which can get a bit frustrating for most (so much entusiasm and no updates make people a bit mad (?)). There are still SO MUCH POTENTIAL in what is done and what could be... I think that is why we are all so impatient with this topic.

About begining a program from 0, I am of course in favour of it, but seeing other comic softwares, and how much time it took for CR to reach to the great program we have now, excuse me if I am more enthuthiastic about upgrading this one XD

All that said, I think that everybody here would be happy just to hear CYo saying something... even if that something was to wait 2 years more :P
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Xelloss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: huffj, pueblo, Wilber

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 4 weeks ago #49289

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Drybonz wrote:
Guys, ComicRack is dead... Cyo hasn't been on this forum, ACTIVELY, for well over a year and one of his last posts was "I can't do this any more". No one has heard from him or been able to successfully contact him in a long time. Let's leave him alone. If he wanted to deal with us, this is where he would be, just like he was in the past.

Hopefully, a new project will emerge that will replace ComicRack, but CR is dead.

You ar right but even if he is done with cr it would be great if he could hand the code over to somebody else to take over. Nobody is asking cyo to return to the project but let others pick,up his work and make it better.

I wish somebody could get in touch with him and work out some deal to the code.

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 4 weeks ago #49292

• Barbiche0
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,

I'm as disappointed as you about the disappearance of CYo, even more when some big projects like CRiOS made me expect the best for the future. I want to believe there's still a chance to save the project, isn't there anyone close enough to him to check on him IRL ?

We are a lot expecting a transition plan for CR. If we could be sure that CYo just can't/doesn't want to/won't maintain CR anymore, but won't release the code for free (as I would really understand given the years he has given to it, and I wouldn't expect him to), what about crowdfunding ? I would gladly give 50-60$ myself to ensure the release of the code under Open Source License (even though I already made a gift previously). Given the tons of people using CR, maybe we can convince CYo with big money ? That would be fair, and he would still be able to contribute in the community through open source licensing anytime.

All there is to do is get in touch with him with a takeover bid, then set up a crowdfunding campaign, with announcement on the website, the forum and CR itself. Hell, who would turn his back to possibly thousands of dollars ?

Anyway, we just can't see CR go to waste like that and do nothing. And I just can't imagine CYo wants his work burried. Even so, if it is the case, then let's try to make appeal to him. That being said, the man will always have my respect for his work and commitment, and I hold no grudge.

Handling CR as an open source project would still be a big challenge, but I think there are enough skilled users here to stand up.

Any thoughts ?
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Barbiche0. Reason: Killing typos :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steffe

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 4 weeks ago #49294

• nfp1971
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Check this topic on page 13, the ideia of buying cr code has allready aroused, and many users are willing to pay. The main problem is that is Cyo is unreachable.. :(

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 4 weeks ago #49295

• Barbiche0
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a bit late indeed. At least many people are willing to fund a kickstarter campaign. Still, I would have expected someone in the community to be in touch with him IRL. As a random user, I'm not willing to harass him, but a close friend could have reached up though.

Whatever, as Xelloss said, it is not uncommon to see a project going on a hiatus for a couple of years...
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Who's Online

We have 168 guests and 3 members online